Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
CUSTOM training plans for this race
- Date: October 17, 2015
- Address: ,
Wilmington, North Carolina Get directions
- Country: United States
- Race type: Triathlon (Full Ironman)
- Distances: Swim (4224.00 yards) Bike (112.00 miles) Run (26.20 miles)
- Organization: Set Up Events
- Website: http://www.beach2battleship.com/
- Contact email:
- Description: The PPD B2B Full swim course will be staged at Wrightsville Beach and will be a unique point-to-point layout with a mass start. The swim takes place in a channel that is connected to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway; so it's a salt water swim but not in the ocean. An incoming tide with participants swimming with the current will make for some very fast times for the 2.4 mile course. The water temperature will be in the upper 60's to low 70's - perfect for wetsuit use (which is mandatory).
The 112 mile bike course takes competitors from Wrightsville Beach, through the northern section of Wilmington and then up towards White Lake - home of one of the more famous half iron distance events on the east coast. The bike course is totally flat with the only elevation change taking place when participants finish the bike course by crossing a bridge on the way into the second transition area located inside the Wilmington Convention Center. Vehicular traffic on the bike course will be extremely light throughout the course. Fully stocked aid stations will be located approximately every 15 miles along the entire course.
The two loop out and back run course will start and finish in downtown Wilmington. Competitors will wind their way through downtown and will also feature a trip around picturesque Greenfield Lake. One of the featured aspects of PPD B2B will be the run course aid stations. Located every mile along the 26.2 mile course, each aid station will serve a variety of food, drinks, and energy products to assist each athlete. Event organizers will be conducting a contest amongst the aid stations (voted on by the participants), so each group or company assigned to a particular aid station will be trying their best to "out do" the other aid stations. Aid station volunteers will be in costume and will be playing live or recorded music. On a more serious note, all aid stations will also be fully staffed with EMS personnel, HAM radio operators, and port-a-lets.
- Members who are scheduled to race: