Ironman African Championship
CUSTOM training plans for this race
- Date: April 10, 2016
Nelson Mandela Bay,
- Country: South Africa
- Race type: Triathlon (Full Ironman)
- Distances: Swim (3800.00 meters) Bike (180.00 kms) Run (26.20 miles)
- Organization: World Triathlon Corporation
- Website: http://www.ironmansouthafrica.com/
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Description: The day begins with a one-lap, 3.8km swim course beginning on Hobie Beach. Athletes head out parallel from the pier and turning left after 300 meters. The course then goes past Humewood Beach all the way to Kings Beach before turning and heading back towards Hobie Beach. The water temperature is usually in the mid-70's and the seas is often calm.
The bike course, new as of 2014, takes athletes out on two laps of 90 km on one of the most spectacular bike courses on the IRONMAN circuit. The route takes athletes along the coast, into the heart of the city, and through indigenous coastal nature reserves—you might even see monkeys. It then rejoins the coastal highway and delivers sweeping views of the ocean and the rugged coastline.
The run is a three-loop course that runs along Marine Drive through the event's famous crowds of 70 000-plus spectators. It's a fast, flat route through the top gate of Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University and out through the bottom gate, heading towards the finish line back near the pier.
Members who are scheduled to race: