Ironman African Championship
CUSTOM training plans for this race
- Date: March 29, 2015
- Address: ,
Port Elizabeth, Get directions
- Country: South Africa
- Race type: Triathlon (Full Ironman)
- Distances: Swim (3800.00 meters) Bike (180.00 kms) Run (26.10 miles)
- Organization: World Triathlon Corporation
- Website: http://www.ironmansouthafrica.com/
- Contact email: email@example.com
- Description: The Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship joins the ranks of the IRONMAN Championship series as the African continental Championship race.
The one-lap 3.8km swim course starts on the blue-flag Hobie Beach, heading out parallel to Shark Rock Pier turning left after 300 metres. The course then goes past Humewood Beach all the way to Kings Beach before turning and heading back towards Hobie Beach.
The new bike course takes athletes out on two laps of 90km in what is arguably the most spectacular bike course on the IRONMAN circuit. Encapsulating some of the best elements of Nelson Mandela Bay the route takes athletes along the coast, into the heart of the city, past a natural lake, through indigenous coastal fynbos nature reserves and takes athletes home with kilometres of sweeping ocean views of untouched South African coastline. Athletes can expect a lot of climbing with approximately 806m gain per lap, but will be well rewarded by the beauty of this course.
The run is a three-loop course along Marine Drive through IRONMAN South Africa’s famous crowds of 70 000+ spectators. It's a very fast, flat route through the top gate of Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University and out through the bottom gate, heading towards transition.
- Members who are scheduled to race: