General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-10 3:50 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

Run went well! Ran about 30 sec/mi slower than usual and felt good. Legs feel fine today, too. Thanks to both of you for the advice!

Glad the run went well. That should be a boost of confidence going into the race.

2013-09-10 7:53 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by EKH

Keri how are you feeling? Is your saddle sore any better? Are you going to be able to race at Redman?

Thanks for asking. It is better, I would say 85%.
I am doing a long indoor ride tomorrow - Redman course on Computrainer in a cycling studio.
I will be at Redman. Racing would be an exaggeration.
Plan is to have a good/comfortable swim and the bike is a well supported training ride.
Will wait to stop as long as I can, probably special needs and then stop as needed since I don't really have a cut-off time to make.
2013-09-10 8:30 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by KeriKadi

Originally posted by EKH

Keri how are you feeling? Is your saddle sore any better? Are you going to be able to race at Redman?

Thanks for asking. It is better, I would say 85%.
I am doing a long indoor ride tomorrow - Redman course on Computrainer in a cycling studio.
I will be at Redman. Racing would be an exaggeration.
Plan is to have a good/comfortable swim and the bike is a well supported training ride.
Will wait to stop as long as I can, probably special needs and then stop as needed since I don't really have a cut-off time to make.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
2013-09-11 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Bib # 65!
2013-09-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Bib #140 here!

Starting to get a little nervous about the weather though (although having lived in OK, I know that it can and does change on a dime). High of 87* with 28mph gusts? No thank you.
2013-09-12 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Bib #140 here!

Starting to get a little nervous about the weather though (although having lived in OK, I know that it can and does change on a dime). High of 87* with 28mph gusts? No thank you.

28mph winds would not be good. Although NORMALLY winds pick up as the day goes on. So hopefully if we do have high winds maybe we can get through the swim and part of the bike before it picks up.

2013-09-13 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I see now the forecast for race day is 64 low 83 high 9mph winds with 40% chance of isolated thunderstorms. Everything sounds good except for thunderstorms. Thunderstorms would suck!
2013-09-13 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Yes, thunderstorms would suck especially if it was during the swim/early part of the bike. If it's light/moderate rain, I'm ok riding in it, but I would prefer not to run in it and for the roads to dry up before the run (hate soggy, wet socks!). Will put dry socks in a baggie in run special needs just in case...

2013-09-13 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Yes, thunderstorms would suck especially if it was during the swim/early part of the bike. If it's light/moderate rain, I'm ok riding in it, but I would prefer not to run in it and for the roads to dry up before the run (hate soggy, wet socks!). Will put dry socks in a baggie in run special needs just in case...

I'm just the opposite I would much rather run in the rain than bike in it.
2013-09-13 10:51 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

It rained at this race in 2009. Started down pouring pre-race, transition flooded, race got delayed. The bike course flooded in one spot (and the RD threatened a swim/run/swim but backed off, strangest thing ever) and there was a mandatory dismount/walk around it. The run course had multiple areas where you simply had to slosh through higher-than-ankle puddles. After I got off the bike I had fun splashing around, but NOTHING was dry. Nothing. My RR if you are interested.

Unless you have a sealed rubbermaid bin or something... it will get wet if it rains so hard that transition floods...

But it won't Cool
I'll be rooting for you guys!

2013-09-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Thanks Lisa. Sounds like race director handled the situation well. Although not sure if I would have done a swim/run/swim. That actually sounds like they would have been asking for trouble sending 1000 athletes out into lake hefner after running a hm.

2013-09-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4774822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
How did everyone do? I had an ok day, finishing in 13:39 which was good enough for 2nd in my AG (1st place in my AG was 3rd overall).

I thought the wind on the back 22 miles was pretty crappy but I expected we'd get the wind at some point.

Heard some people complaining on the fb page about the cones in the bike lanes causing accidents. I hope all of you are safe.

I was still out on the run when the sun went down and I was definitely not expecting there to be no lights on the majority of the course. Super dangerous and not safe, IMO. I was lucky to run the last few miles with a lady who grabbed my arm at one point and saved me from falling off the edge of the path.

All in all a fine race and we really lucked out on the weather!
2013-09-22 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

How did everyone do? I had an ok day, finishing in 13:39 which was good enough for 2nd in my AG (1st place in my AG was 3rd overall).

I thought the wind on the back 22 miles was pretty crappy but I expected we'd get the wind at some point.

Heard some people complaining on the fb page about the cones in the bike lanes causing accidents. I hope all of you are safe.

I was still out on the run when the sun went down and I was definitely not expecting there to be no lights on the majority of the course. Super dangerous and not safe, IMO. I was lucky to run the last few miles with a lady who grabbed my arm at one point and saved me from falling off the edge of the path.

All in all a fine race and we really lucked out on the weather!

Awesome job! Congrats on the podium finish sounds like you rocked it! I had a wreck at mile 30 and ended up getting a flat in the wreck. I lost 10min of time due to wreck and flat. I don't know how much time it cost me after the wreck I banged up my elbow and hip and they really bothered me the rest of the race. At one point during the run I thought I was going to be forced to walk the course due to hip pain from the crash. I finished with a 5:35 and I'm pretty proud of my finish considering all of the adversity I had to face.

2013-09-22 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Keri how did the race go? Were you able to make it through the bike with your saddle sore?
2013-09-22 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by EKH

Keri how did the race go? Were you able to make it through the bike with your saddle sore?

You are so nice to check on me.
The good news is I barely noticed my saddle sore.
The bad news is it was because I had an acute onset of Intercostal muscle strain.
http://www.body-motion.co.uk/injuries/intercostal-muscle-strain-tre...

It hit me between miles 1-2 on the bike and I was in horrible pain especially on those rough roads.
All the fascia/connective tissue throughout my ribcage was in a spasm making breathing very difficult.
I made it half way and threw in the towel at 56 miles.
The folks at the med tent were great. They insisted on 2 IVs, I got lots of attention by the nurses and doctors with some pressure point therapy by one of the athletic pt's. They sent me to the massage tent and the gal there knew exactly what to do.
The doctors all told me stopping was the smartest thing I did. Continuing would have likely resulted in a rupture or tear making IMAZ unlikely.

The bonus from the day is the swim went well and I took lots of notes I will use in November.

The Redman volunteers and staff were amazing. However, with that bike course I will not return anytime soon and certainly never for 112.
2013-09-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

PR for me!!!!

of course it was my first 140.6 race! I was so happy to get off the bike!!! All in all, I was very happy with my day.

15:53:31 was my time!

2013-09-24 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Keri, so sorry to hear about your issues. You made the right call by bagging it since this was not your A race.

I didn't think the roads were great, but I think I have gotten tougher doing all the rallies here in the Dallas area this summer. Some of those roads were horrific. IMMT roads should be like butter to me next year!

EKH, sorry about the wreck! Kudos to you for continuing on!

JFord - congrats on your first IM finish! That's awesome!!!

So, did anyone see any wrecks presumably caused by the cones in the bike lanes? There's been a lot of chatter on the FB page about it and I can't quite understand how anyone that was paying attention (and not riding side-by-side with another athlete) could have hit one of those cones. Maybe I'm missing something?
2013-09-24 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Keri, so sorry to hear about your issues. You made the right call by bagging it since this was not your A race.

I didn't think the roads were great, but I think I have gotten tougher doing all the rallies here in the Dallas area this summer. Some of those roads were horrific. IMMT roads should be like butter to me next year!

EKH, sorry about the wreck! Kudos to you for continuing on!

JFord - congrats on your first IM finish! That's awesome!!!

So, did anyone see any wrecks presumably caused by the cones in the bike lanes? There's been a lot of chatter on the FB page about it and I can't quite understand how anyone that was paying attention (and not riding side-by-side with another athlete) could have hit one of those cones. Maybe I'm missing something?

My wreck wasn't caused by the cones, but like you I read on FB how they caused quite a few accidents. I agree I think you would have to not be paying attention our drafting of somebody to hit one. I spoke with someone after the race who witnessed one of the accidents and he said the guy had his head down not paying attention and barreled into one and went endo. I didn't think the roads were that bad too. Yes there was a couple miles of pretty rough area but for the most part pretty decent roads. They were 100% better than 2012.

Jford congrats on IM finish!
2013-09-25 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Thanks!  It was a long but glorious day for me!

About the cones...I had no issue with them and never saw anyone have problems getting around them either. The only complaint I could have would be it was really really dark on the backside of the run at night. A lot darker than I imagined it would be, I thought they would have some sort of lights setup, but there was nothing!

2013-09-27 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
I also thought it was ridiculously dark on the run course after the sun went down. There were NO lights period except for at the aid stations and those lights didn't illuminate the rest of the course at all. I was terrified I was going to trip on something unseen in the pitch black in front of me.

Next time I do this race (prob 2015), I'll put a headlamp in my run SN. That, or train enough to finish in the daylight

I'm really shocked that the race directors didn't put out lights. They're not that expensive to rent.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Av8rTx
Views: 5895 Posts: 31

2012-09-21 10:11 AM EKH

Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by cornchexs
Views: 3346 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 2:59 PM stretchdew

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by ray6foot7
Views: 7752 Posts: 29

2010-10-25 3:07 PM cornchexs

Redman Triathlon - Half Redman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tri-Wog StL
Views: 9424 Posts: 61

2010-09-05 9:35 PM triplebypat

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread

Started by draykus
Views: 4777 Posts: 21

2009-09-21 11:56 AM rayd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 11
Triathlon traning programs and plans from sprints and olympics to 1/2 and full Ironmans