General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 5:06 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread
Aloha Everyone:

Where is everyone coming from for the race? Any tips for the course?

Look forward to seeing everyone.

2014-10-17 2:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread

Did it this year, fun race (more fun city  )   This year they had a point to point run to a large park, not Louis Armstrong unfortunately, but looks like 2015 will no longer be a point to point.  That (IMO) will make for a pretty boring (and tougher run).  That said, my comments/advice

Logistics- If it it were not for crazy PITA logistics I would have liked the race better.   Check in is one place, start is another.  Finish is another.  But with a new run course at least one of those issues is fixed.

-Swim - They improved the TT start this year, I was in the water pretty quickly, but be prepared for a potential wait.  Bring flip flops you can throw out/give to someone for the walk over.

Hard course to scout, strange "M" shape in the harbor.  After the first right, find a large boat to sight off of, rather than the buoy at water level.  Other than that, just follow everyone

Bike - Expect head and/or crosswinds the entire way.  Should be faster coming back, but is not always.   Only climb is a bridge you go up right at the start and right at the end.  Otherwise pancake flat.   Be prepared for a huuuuge gap between aid station 2, about 12 miles in, and aid station 3, over 40 miles in.  Don't lose your bottles, like I did, thinking another aid station will be soon......

DO NOT pre ride the course.  Not necessary, and this year turned out to be fatal for one racer.  Locals are not used to seeing bikes out there apparently.

Run  - Last year was point to point, pretty boring and ugly along the lake (not a pretty lake) for the first 7 ish miles with no shade whatsoever, then turned into neighborhoods which was nicer.  Run along the lake goes over one big bridge at the start and several levees/smaller rises.   If it's an out and back you'll have to do them twice.

Onto more important things.  Go do a swamp tour (we used Cajun Encounters, touristy but fun, and the drive is along most of the bike course and it's just a lot of fun). 

Eat at Jacques Imos.  April is soft shell crab season apparently and it's amazing.

Eat at Camelia's Grill in the quarter.

Obviously Hurricanes at Pat Obrien's.

And free Abita at the finish?  my lawd....

Edited by ChrisM 2014-10-17 2:39 PM
2014-10-19 12:36 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Wow - thanks for the great tips and advice. With regards to the water, that is a protected area right? I've always wanted to visit New Orleans so my wife and I are pretty excited. I can't wait to race the race and then enjoy the city for a few days. I will take your advice and not ride the course; however, we will drive the course to get a perspective.

I completed my 1st 70.3 this year at the Ironman 70.3 race in Boise and didn't do as well as I expected to. I finished with a time of 6:20, but it was because of my awful run (2:15). That was my worst ½ marathon run in the past 7 years. My goal going into this race is to finish at 5:45 – I know I’m slow - and I will work a lot harder on my bike-to-run bricks. Not to make excuses, but I was in the ER two weeks earlier with sciatic issues and could really train. I had a great time and wouldn’t do anything different.

I also spoke to the race director a few weeks ago (really nice guy) and apparently they are changing the course this year to start/finish at the same location. He sounded really excited about the changes and appears it’s going to be a lot of fun.
Can’t wait!!!
2014-10-20 8:03 AM
in reply to: Robnkauai

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Robnkauai I also spoke to the race director a few weeks ago (really nice guy) and apparently they are changing the course this year to start/finish at the same location. He sounded really excited about the changes and appears it’s going to be a lot of fun. Can’t wait!!!

Another year, another change to the run course.  That should at least help with logistics but that will be a boring run.  Too bad they can't run through the French Quarter anymore.

Originally posted by Robnkauai I completed my 1st 70.3 this year at the Ironman 70.3 race in Boise and didn't do as well as I expected to. I finished with a time of 6:20, but it was because of my awful run (2:15). That was my worst ½ marathon run in the past 7 years.

How many of your prior half marathon races were preceded by 57.2 miles of swimming and cycling?  Your run time will take a significant hit.  My guess is most HIM run times are 20% longer than their open half mary run times.  The faster AG'ers probably 10%.

Originally posted by Robnkauai  and I will work a lot harder on my bike-to-run bricks.  

Your quote would be much better if it read "and I will work a lot harder on my bike."

Bricks are not the answer.  Unless you fancy lower quality run workouts.

2014-10-20 2:43 PM
in reply to: Robnkauai

User image

No need to make excuses about any times.   And yes, running 13.1 in a HIM Is vastly different than a standalone 13.1.

The swim is protected, but there may be a little wind chop, it was not glassy this year (or the year before as I hear)

2014-10-21 5:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
I did this race in 2013 and 2014. Disappointed it didn't finish in the French Quarter this year. I don't see a course map for 2015 yet?? Do you think they will take the finish back to Armstrong Park??

Edited by kandk 2014-10-21 6:00 AM

2014-10-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #5060696

User image

According to the race's Facebook page, the run will start and end at the same place (the lake)
2015-03-22 5:06 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Hello everyone! NEED HOTEL

I am new to this site, and this will be my first 70.3 (NOLA Half Ironman Sun 4/19). I've only done one Olympic distance and that was 2004 (yikes it's going to be rough because I don't think I am prepared for the increase in the swim....)

I've in a panic now because yesterday the host hotel (Hilton Riverside) had rooms, and today they are full. They had a nice group rate of $199 - but everything else in the area is $300-400 OUCH which will force me to book out in Metarie.

I know this sounds odd....but does anyone have a room at the Hilton they would consider sharing to split costs? I'll take a rollaway bed. I'm driving in from Houston and since I don't know the area and will be anxious already....I would rather stay at the host hotel for peace of mind, shuttles and being with other athletes. I was planning on staying Sat only, but wouldn't mind also booking Fri and Sun if I can share costs to make a weekend of it (but I won't stay 3 nights if it's costing me $900!).

I know this is not training related - so thanks for listening to my plea

Suggestions appreciated,
Stacey (Houston)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kandk
Views: 13530 Posts: 202

2014-04-15 11:31 AM dprocket

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by kandk
Views: 29545 Posts: 315

2014-04-21 10:21 AM ChrisM

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kandk
Views: 21247 Posts: 206

2012-05-01 4:42 PM aubosox

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by thomas1999
Views: 32957 Posts: 339

2010-05-05 7:11 PM southgal30

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by LazyMarathoner
Views: 25740 Posts: 302

2009-04-11 5:37 PM atlrunnergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.