General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain - left knee, right side Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-17 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: knee pain - left knee, right side
OK, so my sister is training for her first (running) half marathon and called me tonight saying she has developed pain on her left knee, on the right side.  I checked the usual suspects: shoes are fine (less than a month old, properly fit by a professional), gradual increase in mileage, no recollection of hurting it over this last weekend.  So, after searching the forums, we're curious as to what it might be.  It doesn't hurt her when she runs, but when she flexes it to put her shoes on or climb stairs.  I told her to ice it and ease off the running a bit this week to see if it gets better.  I also recommend a knee brace.  Does anyone know what kind of injury she might be dealing with and besides what I recommended to her, what else should she be doing?  Thanks a bunch (and yes, I'm working on getting her to join BT).

2008-01-17 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1163034

Champion
Subject: RE: knee pain - left knee, right side

That's where mine was after twisting it a bit over a year ago.  I was diagnosed with medial meniscus problems, but that's not to say hers is the same.  Knee pain isn't something to mess with, I'd have a doc take a quick look at it, so that she doesn't put it off for several more months and jeopardize her whole season.

2008-01-20 12:14 AM
in reply to: #1163074

Regular
Subject: RE: knee pain - left knee, right side
+1

As a veteren of 6 left knee surgeries, I recommend she not fool around with it and go see a doctor. There is a good chance it is just a little tendonitis. A brace will be of no use unless she spained her medial collateral ligament. There is always a chance that it could be the medial meniscus but I would expect there to a twisting incident she recalls. Of course there is just good (?) old arthritis. Either way it is best to have it checked.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » knee pain - left knee, right side Rss Feed