General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Common reason for elbow pain from swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-21 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Common reason for elbow pain from swimming?

Is there a common reason for elbow pain swimming?  There are so many competitive swimmers around here, I figured someone would have the reason.

Lately, I've been getting some discomfort in my left elbow when swimming.  It only happens after a couple thousand yards, and stops as soon as I stop.  I've played around with a couple things, but I don't know enough about stroke mechanics to diagnose it.

Here are some things that I've found.  When I reach wider, its more comfortable.  (I may be coming close to crossing over.)  Hand position helps.  If my hand is inline with my forearm, or even a bit lower at the point of glide and through the pull, it seems to help.  When I exaggerate my roll, it seems to help.  Making an effort to keep my elbows bent on the pull seems to help.

I think all of these things are beneficial to better form and  improved efficiency, so I am working to improve them, but I was wondering if something here is "known" by the highly experienced swimmers to be the cause.  Or, is there something else that might be causing it?

A little more about the pain.  Its not a burn or ache, it feels more like pressure on a nerve, possibly from swelling.  Its not really painful, but somewhat uncomfortable. 

Anyone? 

2008-01-21 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1168337

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
Subject: RE: Common reason for elbow pain from swimming?

I am not an expert, but the first thought in my mind is that you are not rotating your upper body enough.  Sometimes only the hips are rolling, and you may in fact might not be rotating in the upper body sufficiently.  I would suggest having someone knowledgable taking a look at your form if possible.  It's difficult to know without actually looking at what you are doing, and what you may "feel" like you are doing might not be the case.  Hope you can get some help!

2008-01-22 10:30 AM

Expert
Good question, I have recently been experiencing a similar pain in my left elbow. The main reason for mine may be an increase in breathing to my left side, trying to balance my stroke. I did however slightly change my pull, trying to scrape my thumb off the side of my thigh. Wonder if I'm hyper-extending, or turning at the elbow, or something like that.
2008-01-22 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario

Have you suddenly increased swim volume?  or started swimming with hand paddles a lot?

Often weak forearms can cause similar feeling.  You could decrease distance a bit and add some forearm specific weight training until you build the required muscles if that is the case.

2008-01-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1169535

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
KRCSWO - 2008-01-22 11:37 AM

Have you suddenly increased swim volume? or started swimming with hand paddles a lot?

Often weak forearms can cause similar feeling. You could decrease distance a bit and add some forearm specific weight training until you build the required muscles if that is the case.

Volume is up, but leveling off for a while.  I swim about 8-10,000y every other week.  Between weeks are about  6-7000y.  I have very strong forearms, but I suppose they could be unbalanced for swimming.  I am a former golf professional.  Any specific exercises, or just a balance forearm curl and reverse curl?

2008-01-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1169523

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

vonschnapps - 2008-01-22 11:30 AM Good question, I have recently been experiencing a similar pain in my left elbow. The main reason for mine may be an increase in breathing to my left side, trying to balance my stroke. I did however slightly change my pull, trying to scrape my thumb off the side of my thigh. Wonder if I'm hyper-extending, or turning at the elbow, or something like that.

Hyper-extension was my initial thought. I thought it might even be from stretching, so i laid off some of the lever-type stretches. I don't think breathing is a cause for mine.

The only other idea I have, besides what I posted earlier, was that I was somehow digging too hard, when I push off the wall, the first stroke is always on the left side. I started swapping that around, but it hasn't changed the pain. I thought that perhaps I was pulling/digging too hard and in a different position than normal, because I was in a short glide off the wall and not within my normal roll. Does that make sense?

... I'm not sure that makes sense to me and I wrote it...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Common reason for elbow pain from swimming? Rss Feed