in reply to: #1168871

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: RE: Looking for Tire recommendations
here is the pdf with comparison

Attachments
----------------
AFM_tire_testing_rev6.pdf (18KB - 87 downloads)

2008-01-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1171702

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Plissken74 - 2008-01-23 10:23 AM It is true. You sacrifice performance but, in my case, I would focus more to get better light material on the bike, training more and having better probability to not loose time for changing a tire! This is my approach. Train more and reduce chances of external negative influencers.

Rolling resistance differences matter more than weight on the bike.  Of course, a flat negates that advantage but that's why the P2R is such a good choice for racing--excellent balance of performance & durability.  I'll take my chances. 

2008-01-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1173690

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
JohnnyKay - 2008-01-23 4:11 PM

Plissken74 - 2008-01-23 10:23 AM It is true. You sacrifice performance but, in my case, I would focus more to get better light material on the bike, training more and having better probability to not loose time for changing a tire! This is my approach. Train more and reduce chances of external negative influencers.

Rolling resistance differences matter more than weight on the bike. Of course, a flat negates that advantage but that's why the P2R is such a good choice for racing--excellent balance of performance & durability. I'll take my chances.

Yes you are right but I am a beginner and going for my first HIM. It is normal that you care more on a well balanced mix.
At the moment I am neither capable of changing a flat! I need training on that too.
2008-01-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1173715

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Plissken74 - 2008-01-24 9:22 AM

Rolling resistance differences matter more than weight on the bike. Of course, a flat negates that advantage but that's why the P2R is such a good choice for racing--excellent balance of performance & durability. I'll take my chances.

Yes you are right but I am a beginner and going for my first HIM. It is normal that you care more on a well balanced mix. At the moment I am neither capable of changing a flat! I need training on that too.

Don't take this personally, but that's about the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.  You're a "beginner" with some pretty lofty goals.  And someone who is spending some time on planning the details of his race.  But you limit your tire choice because you can't change a flat.  Work with me on the logic here...

2008-01-24 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1173734

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
JohnnyKay - 2008-01-23 4:29 PM

Plissken74 - 2008-01-24 9:22 AM

Yes you are right but I am a beginner and going for my first HIM. It is normal that you care more on a well balanced mix. At the moment I am neither capable of changing a flat! I need training on that too.

Don't take this personally, but that's about the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. You're a "beginner" with some pretty lofty goals. And someone who is spending some time on planning the details of his race. But you limit your tire choice because you can't change a flat. Work with me on the logic here...

Yes the logic is simple: before making a plan, you need to do a feasibility plan. My feasibility plan told me that I need to focus on training, understanding how can I reach well the starting line and what to eat during my first preparation to HIM. Step by step...I can not put too many things together otherwise it can not be feasible.
If I will success on my first, my second will be after another 2 months and I will add some more things to learn (tyre change for example), using better tyres, better bike or whatever else is better and doable for me in another 2 months time.
Plans can easily fail is you put too much things to learn.
2008-01-24 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1173800

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Plissken74 - 2008-01-24 10:00 AM

Yes the logic is simple: before making a plan, you need to do a feasibility plan. My feasibility plan told me that I need to focus on training, understanding how can I reach well the starting line and what to eat during my first preparation to HIM. Step by step...I can not put too many things together otherwise it can not be feasible. If I will success on my first, my second will be after another 2 months and I will add some more things to learn (tyre change for example), using better tyres, better bike or whatever else is better and doable for me in another 2 months time. Plans can easily fail is you put too much things to learn.

Sorry, tire changing is BASIC.  It's one of the FIRST things you should learn to do.  It's not a complication that makes keeps your plan from beinf "feasible".  You seem to be somebody who wants to be well prepared, so this makes no sense whatsoever.  Good luck and watch out for debris on the road.

2008-01-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1173817

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

JohnnyKay - 2008-01-24 11:06 AM Sorry, tire changing is BASIC.  It's one of the FIRST things you should learn to do.  It's not a complication that makes keeps your plan from beinf "feasible".  You seem to be somebody who wants to be well prepared, so this makes no sense whatsoever.  Good luck and watch out for debris on the road.

Agreed.

Learn to change a flat.

Anyone who has ever changed one could show you in 5 minutes and after practicing it only a few times (great to time yourself sitting on the floor in front of the TV at night) you will possess a skill you WILL have to perform if you are putting in the miles. Even riding the most durable tire available, it's not a matter of "if" you will get a flat, it's "when" you get a flat. Mr. Murphy tells us we will flat far from civilization, not just around the corner from your house, so unless you know a bike mechanic who will come out an meet you out in the middle of nowhere, learn to change a flat.  

2008-01-24 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Chico
Plissken: There is a video on this site (BT.com) giving instruction of flat fixing. Click on the "home" link and in the first set of videos you'll find video instruction for removing tires and changing a flat. Every ride, regardless of tires, is a crap shoot without this knowledge and skill.

I appreciate your input on this thread.
2008-01-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1174157

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
heartopener - 2008-01-23 7:13 PM

Plissken: There is a video on this site (BT.com) giving instruction of flat fixing. Click on the "home" link and in the first set of videos you'll find video instruction for removing tires and changing a flat. Every ride, regardless of tires, is a crap shoot without this knowledge and skill.

I appreciate your input on this thread.

I have seen it of course and I would say that I can change it maybe in 15 mins, hoping to put the tubular inside well, which is not straightforward.
What about the rear wheel? The video does not suggest anything...my impression is that is much more difficult than the front one
2008-01-24 2:03 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Only thing different about changing the rear tire is getting the chain on and off of the cassette. Easiest way to do this is to shift all the way down to the smallest cog.
2008-01-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1171776

User image

Regular
Chico
Sty, I'd just decided on Michelin P2Rs when you go and tell me about the P3Rs!!!! They sound like they're quite the tire. So I googled them and found that most online stores are making them available in March. But I found a dealer on Ebay that has them available now. How can that be? Do you suppose that they are the real deal? I wrote him to ask but haven't heard back from him. If I have to wait another month or so for the P3Rs seems like it would be worth it.

2008-01-25 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1175217

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

heartopener - 2008-01-24 11:29 PM Sty, I'd just decided on Michelin P2Rs when you go and tell me about the P3Rs!!!! They sound like they're quite the tire. So I googled them and found that most online stores are making them available in March. But I found a dealer on Ebay that has them available now. How can that be? Do you suppose that they are the real deal? I wrote him to ask but haven't heard back from him. If I have to wait another month or so for the P3Rs seems like it would be worth it.

I can't speak to whether or not there's a black market for knock-off road tires but my guess would be not likely. The Pro3Race tires are out there - they won't just magically appear in March - there has been limited distribution to some of the larger retailers and the tires have been "out there" for testing and feedback for awhile now so yes, you can get them on ebay but the only ones I've seen were the black on black colour (they will eventually be available in the rainbow of colours like its predecessor). Read the auction carefully because some auctions may be for pre-release sales and you may end up waiting until the spring to have them delivered.

2008-01-25 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
If you're concerned about difficulty, sit in front of the TV some night, and spend 1hr changing the tires.

[nerd font]
Every spring, I spend an hour in front of the TV changing the tire as many times as I can. And I do it from the top, and through to completion. Meaning, I will pump the tire back up to 110psi when I'm done. Makes it real easy.
[/nerd font]

You NEED to know how to change a flat. If nothing else, it's a safety issue. Spend the time to do it. If you are concerned about doing it right, schedule some time at your LBS and have them show you both tires. You'll see how easy it is, and then you can practice.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for Tire recommendations Rss Feed  

of 2