General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Tri-Clothing for the larger guys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-22 9:32 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Subject: Men's Tri-Clothing for the larger guys
Can anyone help out with a good website for larger sized clothing for primarily triathlons (wetsuits, sportsuits etc)?

Been doing marathons for the past three years and now I'm venturing over to the triathlon side to change things up a little. Just can't seemto find any clothing stores online that carry a good assortment of larger sizes. Thanks!

2008-01-23 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1170979

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Men's Tri-Clothing for the larger guys
Hi Lance~
I would love to help you find what you need. Post up or pm me your height/weight any specfic things I should know about your size. Unfortunately, it is less the trathlon stores having the clothing and more the manufacturers not making the clothing. Whenever they ask for suggestions for us retailers that is always the first thing out of my mouth. They have gotten a little better.....but it is taking time for the retailers to understand that who does the sport now is really changing.

Renee
2008-01-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1171251

User image

Baton Rouge
Thanks for the help. I'm mainly looking at trying to find a decently priced trisuit. I'm about 6'1, 230-235. I do carry some extra around the mid-section, but am overall a large framed guy, if that makes any sense. Every websight I go to have decently priced suits, but only have S,M,L in stock.

I'm very new to the Tri thing, actually never even completed my first race yet. I have done 7 full marathons and a number of halfs. I have a road bike which I cross train with occasionally (about to a lot more), so I'm eyeing a half ironman late this year or early 09. Just trying to get into the swing of the tri thing, which I believe I would really enjoy, without breaking the bank. Obviously, I've got the running down, most of the biking down, but just need to work on the swimming function and then put them all together. I'd like to try and start training in what I'd be wearing for the race as it just makes thing smoother, especially have never put on a trisuit or full wetsuit before.

Again, thanks for any insight you can give me as to some decently price merchandise.
2008-01-24 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I've been using the 2XU comp tri short in an XL size and I have a 38-40 waist  and very thick legs and these have been pretty comfortable.   And they held up very well over a year of training and racing.
2008-01-24 9:23 AM

User image

I'm 6'2" @ 250 and have had issues with clothing too. i have found Pearl Izumi tri shorts in XL, work for me. I've got a 38" waist and the fit nicely. Plenty of room in the legs and they have 9" length so it supports a lot of your hamstring. I also wear a Zoot sleeveless top in XXL. It fits really nice and is LONG, so it covers the "tire". I am not even sure it is a tri top, it might be a cycling sleeveless jersey, but it works.

My biggest complaint on tri clothing is the disparaging difference on sizes. I just bought a XXXL top. I also can find a decent helmet that can fit my big head. Manufactures have got to learn that there are just bigger people out there too and they want nice stuff. Keep me in the loop on any progress.
2008-01-24 10:45 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
So here is my suggestion. Maybe consider tri shorts and a top. One benefit from this is you will get more use out of it so your money will be better spent. It is easier to fit into two seperate pieces than one. You will the being all wrapped up in one thing, but I don't think that is that big of a deal. Most of the trisuits in larger sizes sell out quickly because there is less of them to begin with. DeSoto by far is the most generous in their sizing - I have fit some pretty big men into their 2XL shorts (300#). Their tops are by far the most generous fitting as well. 2XU shorts seem to fit larger guys as well, however their tops run small (at least their tri and cyclng stuff - their running tops run pretty good) and are not as generous. Hope this helps, you can find some tops and shorts on sale and still in your size. I know we have some stuff in the BT store.

Renee

2008-01-24 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1173907

User image

Baton Rouge
Forgive my stupidity here beign the newbie, but what exactly is the "BT" store?

You also said you may have some stuff. Does your store have a website I can check out? Thanks again for the help and suggestions!
2008-01-24 9:28 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sorry about that I should have clarified....if you look at the top right of the screen you will see the "store" icon, click it and it will take you to my store "Core Multisport". I have some DeSoto shorts still in stock and tops.

Renee
2008-01-24 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1171251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Here is my suggestion for the next time that you talk to the manufacturers.......Please make tri bib-shorts.......not cycling shorts, but bib short specifically for triathlons. The regular tri shorts always seem like they are rolling off me and I'm continually having to hike them up. Tri bib shorts would eliminate that frustration. I don't think it would be difficult.....you could almost use the same cycling bib manufacturing line, but swap out the cycling chamios for a tri chamios.

If you need testers for the product, sign me up!

Thanks for listening Tri-IT!

2008-01-27 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I have some Aerotech Designs bib shorts (not tri) but I love them. They have specific stuff for the bigger guy's/gals. I don't mean to step on BT's store, but Aerotech seems to be the best bet for bigger folks, and I have nothing but good things to say about mine.

They do also have Tri-shorts.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

2008-01-28 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

In my opinion Zoot has been pretty good to me.  I have recently changed to Garneau which I really like.  Craft seems like the smallest fit other than the Pearl Izumi tops.  Target carries C9 which is really cheap and people seem to like it.  I definitely prefer a tri suit to the separates just for comfort alone but to each his (or her ) own.

On the wetsuit I really like my Pro-Motion (which BTers can get at a discount).   

2008-02-04 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1179365

User image

Baton Rouge
Another dumb question, but is it possible to swim in a tri separate? If it's too warm for a wetsuit, and if I don't like the look of a tri suit? Would like to have something on as the look of me with just a pair of tri shorts on with no shirt is something nobody deserves to see!

What do you guys with the spare tire like myself do?

2008-02-05 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1194525

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Lance26.2 - 2008-02-04 9:57 PM Another dumb question, but is it possible to swim in a tri separate? If it's too warm for a wetsuit, and if I don't like the look of a tri suit? Would like to have something on as the look of me with just a pair of tri shorts on with no shirt is something nobody deserves to see! What do you guys with the spare tire like myself do?

I have very little body modesty and a large tire so  may not be the best person to answer this but here goes.

Before the swim it is just me and my tri shorts with everything else (spare tire, back hair and all) out there for everyone to see.  When I get to T1, I throw on an technical style of t-shirt and wear that for the rest of the race.   The way I look at it is this, I may not be the most attractive person out there, but I am doing this race for me and no one else.  If someone doesn't care for the way I look, that is their problem not mine.  I look a whole lot better to myself when dressed in that one piece of lycra/spandex whatever, than I did on the couch with dockers, tshirt and a bag of chips.

So in short don't worry about it.  It is 1-2 hrs out of your life per race.  And the rewards are so much greater than the embarrassment.

Ross 

2008-02-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1194891

User image

Leesburg,

i like your style, dude.  rock n roll! 

kate

2008-02-05 8:50 AM

User image

I second what Morg said too. I've got the tire, I've got the back hair. Swim/Bike/Run proud! Stand tall and embrace the fact that you are doing it. That's how I look at it, anyway.
2008-02-05 8:58 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
You guys are my favorite kind of triathletes......the idea is for everyone to get out there a do it...you don't have to fit into a "certain" criteria. After a couple of hours of doing a triathlon everyone looks about the same anyways......narly hair from swimming and ripping a swim cap off, sweaty from a long hot bike ride, red face, snot a drool from a great run......it all good

2008-02-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1194891

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

X2 - There's no room for self consciousness in the transition area!

2008-02-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1194994

User image

Baton Rouge
You guys are killing me......I agree with all the posts and in the grand scheme of things I really don't care, but was just curious. It's always been easy to hide in the running world, a little harder to hide in the cycling world, but seems almost impossible to hide in the swimming world. Just have to quit worrying about it and get out there and do it, like you guys have all said.
2008-02-05 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
By the way, a tri shirt and shorts for a non-wetsuit swim is a perfectly acceptable combination for the entire race (if you wear a wetsuit, the tri shirt/shorts can be worn underneath).  Not having to add/remove/change clothes saves a bunch of time in transition.
2008-02-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1195187

User image

Baton Rouge
Cool. That was my main question I guess is do other people out there swim in a non-wet suit event in the tri shorts/shirt separates. I would guess not too many do, but as long as I'm not the only goofball out there doing it!
2008-02-10 6:35 PM

Veteran
Georga
I am in the same boat for now, I posted this link in another discussion. I stumbled upon it the other day and I am going to order a pair of jammers either Tues or Weds this week. It is almost impossible to find cyling shorts around here in NC for big guys let alone tri gear. This will be my first Tri in May, man I can't wait!

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/triathlon.htm

2008-02-10 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1195250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Lance26.2 - 2008-02-05 10:56 AM

Cool. That was my main question I guess is do other people out there swim in a non-wet suit event in the tri shorts/shirt separates. I would guess not too many do, but as long as I'm not the only goofball out there doing it!

In answer to your question...yes......I am a member of a tri club in Los Angeles area. The entire team uses tri shorts and singlets during the events. If we wear wetsuits, we wear the tri shorts and the singlets underneath.

Now, I'm one of the bigger guys on the team. (I would break many of them they are so thin if I did an open field tackle on them in a friendly football game.) I have sometimes worn cycling bibs instead of tri shorts. The chamios is a little thicker, but wasn't a distraction or a problem.

But I like the notion of who gives a rat's __ fill in the blank ____! You're doing it for yourself...wear what ever you feel most comfortable in! (Suggestion: Try different things out during your training....don't try something new out on race day!!!)
2015-07-27 9:08 AM
in reply to: Lance26.2

I know this is an older thread but it comes up very high in the search results. I wanted to share a setup that has been working very well for me. I am a bigger athlete (6'1'' & 245lbs). What I have found works very well are the Castelli Free Tri Bib Shorts or the Desoto Tri Riviera Bib Shorts, paired with a Pearl Izumi Select Tri Relaxed Fit Sleeveless Jersey.

The bibs help keep everything in place and the jersey is loose enough not to cling. I have run this setup through a 70.3 race and I do not see why it would not work well for a full distance race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Men's Tri-Clothing for the larger guys Rss Feed