General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A GREAT off-season training guide! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-24 7:12 PM

Subject: A GREAT off-season training guide!
Hi folks -

I had posted a while ago with questions about how to plan the off-season, if anyone knew of resources that told you ways to do it. Well, I just found the book I was looking for back then; maybe everyone already knows about it, but it has a 2004 publication date, so I thought some might not. Anyway, I figured I get the info out there for anyone who was maybe still having my dilema, sinceeveryone was so helpful with my questions before.

Its called "The Triathlete's Guide to Off Season Training", by Karen Buxton, published by Velo press, and is part of the Ultra-Fit series. It walks you through the theories of off-season training, how to relate your last season and your expected upcoming season to a plan for the winter months. Then it has discipline-specific sections on weight-training, indoor training alternatives, and swimming drills. Its not a perfect book, but its pretty darn good for a beginner trying to figure out the first off-season. I came across it in a Barnes and Noble, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Happy training,
Rebecca

2004-11-24 8:21 PM
in reply to: #86396

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: A GREAT off-season training guide!
I've seen that book on the Velo Press website. Once you finish reading it, if you could do a short book review and put it in the Gear Review thread that would be great! I've been eye-balling it for a while, but haven't had the chance to get it. Thanks for the update.

-Frank
2004-11-25 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I read it. The triathlon stuff in the book is the same as the Triathletes Training Bible. Published by the same company. I didn't find anything else to be useful. Just my opinion.

Mike
2004-11-26 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I just bought it last week. I have only skimmed through it. Some of the info looks very similar to the training bible. It does give some sample workouts for pool running and elliptical and such. I heven;t looked at it really close yet.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A GREAT off-season training guide! Rss Feed