General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP!!! Need Inspiration/Motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-28 5:53 AM

Veteran
South Florida
Subject: HELP!!! Need Inspiration/Motivation
Right now I'm in a huge rut. I started training a while ago, did good for a few months. Then it seems like everything came crahing down around me. You see, we had a huge tragedy in my family, my brother was killed in a car accident. It destroyed my family. My parents are a mess, I'm a mess, it's insane. I have a wife and 2 small children. I can't believe I have to still raise them with all this pain inside. My brother was divorced but had two kids which I don't get to see anymore because I never got along with his X-wife. They moved away, this crushed my parents even more, we're all very close. My wife handled all the funeral arrangements, it's hell on her, she's now on meds for panic/anxiety attacks. I own my own business which kinda fell apart during all this, (my brother was my partner) it's slowly getting back on track now. To top it off, I started smoking again and gained back 20 lbs. I guess I'm just venting, or looking for outside help. I don't think I'll ever be back to normal. I guess i should just worry about my family rather than tri training. Now that I wrote everything down it seems almost impossible to overcome.
Thanks for listening,
Mike

2008-01-28 6:15 AM
in reply to: #1179199

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: HELP!!! Need Inspiration/Motivation

Wow, I'm so sorry.

Have you considered grief counseling?  It can only help.

Some training, if you can get it in, isn't just taking time away from your family. If it helps to get you to lose some weight, stop smoking and/or feel a bit better then it's to their benefit too. You being in good health is in your kid's best interest.

2008-01-28 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just hang on. It will get better. My heart goes out to you and your family. Similar thing happened to me a few years ago: younger brother died suddenly. It took us a while to get over it, but it will happen.

Keep talking to people: to us at BT, someone at your church, get a counsellor/therapist/psych doc. Anybody but a bartender. You need to let it out, its part of the process. So do your parents and your wife and kids (if they are old enough) but the only one you can take action for is you. So find someone/somewhere to talk to about all this.

Training's great and absolutely therapuetic, but dont worry about training right now: you have to fix the hole in your heart and when you start on that, the rest will start falling back into place.

2008-01-28 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

One of the things that makes the body so interesting is that most stresses, whether they be physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual, will have a lot of the same symptoms.  So that, people who are more physically fit can be more fit in the other areas as well.

With that in mind, today is a new day.  It doesn't ignore the past but gives an opportunity for a new future.  Train today.  Do something.  Walk.  Stretch.  Breathe.  Something.  Anything will help your body to process all the stresses that you are going through.

Then, please, log whatever you do so that some of us can check in on you from time to time and help you through the hard times.  Please use your training log so that we can send inspires directly to you when you're having hard times.

We're here to help.

2008-01-28 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1179227

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Hawkeye - 2008-01-28 7:50 AM

One of the things that makes the body so interesting is that most stresses, whether they be physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual, will have a lot of the same symptoms.  So that, people who are more physically fit can be more fit in the other areas as well.

With that in mind, today is a new day.  It doesn't ignore the past but gives an opportunity for a new future.  Train today.  Do something.  Walk.  Stretch.  Breathe.  Something.  Anything will help your body to process all the stresses that you are going through.

Then, please, log whatever you do so that some of us can check in on you from time to time and help you through the hard times.  Please use your training log so that we can send inspires directly to you when you're having hard times.

We're here to help.

2X

We are here to help, every day is a new day,

When I feel down, I do an old but effective psychological booster.

Go for a run (walk if you have to) and think about what you are grateful for. List in your head everything, whether it is your own personal heath, to your family, to your brother for being the type of man he was. Just because he has passed does not mean he can’t live in your heart for ever. by the end of the run you will feel great.

These types of events are difficult for everyone so you are not alone. Celebrate the life he was able to live, communicate with him on those long runs and rides…….

Good luck and the community here all support you……

Ryan
2008-01-28 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Mike,

I'm sorry for your loss and we here in BT are here to support you. As hard as it was to make this post I hope it allows us to support you.

When I'm sad or out of sorts, some type of physical activity really helps....as others have suggested a walk, run, bike or something. What do you enjoy doing most? Do that? Need someone to go with you to encourage you? I bet we could find a BTer in your area to meet up with you to run, swim or bike with you. 

Maybe you could pick a race to do in honor of your brother and that may be a wonderful healing experience for you. 

Hoping today is a little bit better for you today~ 

2008-01-28 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1179434

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
KathyG - 2008-01-28 7:20 AM

Maybe you could pick a race to do in honor of your brother and that may be a wonderful healing experience for you. 

x2

I lost my nephew suddenly 2 years ago, we were very close and he was such a special little boy .. there's a hole in my heart I'm sure will be there forever, but learning to live with that loss was part of moving forward.
I went through a very difficult time of grief and despair, found that I couldn't work, couldn't train, could barely function at all. I couldn't even talk to people. What got me out of it was a race that benefited the Children's Hospital, the exact ward my nephew was on briefly before he died. It took me months to work up the motivation, but I trained for and ran that race in dedication to him. It was like turning a corner, and I still continue to race for him. It gives me back the sense of purpose that was lost with him, and it's a great way to keep him alive in my heart.
2008-01-28 10:08 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

Sorry to hear about your brother and the grief you are going through.  It's a terrible place to be. 

If you can't seek professional help, which I would completely encourage you to do, talk to whatever clergy/spiritual resource you might have. 

Check in your area to see if there is a grief support network... call local hospice organizations, they would know and you wouldn't need to have used the hospice center to do so.  Chances are, you are not alone in your experience, even if it is unique, other folks will be similar.  Family dynamics all change at a death like this.

Peace,
Brian

2008-01-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1179212

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

ChicagoMan65 - 2008-01-28 7:23 AM Just hang on. It will get better. My heart goes out to you and your family.  Keep talking to people: to us at BT, someone at your church, get a counsellor/therapist/psych doc. Anybody but a bartender. You need to let it out, its part of the process. So do your parents and your wife and kids (if they are old enough) but the only one you can take action for is you. So find someone/somewhere to talk to about all this. Training's great and absolutely therapuetic, but dont worry about training right now: you have to fix the hole in your heart and when you start on that, the rest will start falling back into place.

x2. A counselor saved my life.  The only things that really helped me were: Time and talking to people.  My best friend since pre-K was killed in the World Trade Center, our families were going to grow old together, after having gone through HS together, college together, and working together, but it didn't happen.  Part of my pain was trying to get over it too fast and not properly grieiving.  Communication is critical with your spouse as well..everyone grieves differently. Even though your family needs you, YOU also need you.  Please update us and lean on us if it helps!

2008-01-28 2:34 PM

Veteran
South Florida
Thanks everyone.
It means alot that I have another "Family" out there. I'm gonna give it a shot. A very good friend of mine is pushing me to do a sprint duathlon in a few months. Sounds like fun. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again,
Mike
2008-01-28 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Mike-

I am sorry for your loss.  I do not know the right words to "type" nor do I know you feel.

In my experience, tri training pretty much saved me from a gut-wrenching tragedy that happened in my family this past summer.  ~8wks prior to my first tri, and I just wanted to hide in my bed and never leave.  I took 2 wks off, got back into it, and the training pretty much was my therapy (as well as attending counseling).  Training was equal to counseling, though.  Anyway, the tri was necessary for my mental state, it really helped. 

Can't say it is effective for all, but can see how it can help.

We'll be here for you...Good Luck

Edited by SoManyGoals 2008-01-28 5:36 PM

2008-01-28 5:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by spokes 2008-01-28 5:31 PM
2008-01-28 6:52 PM

Veteran

Mike - I am sorry to hear of your loss. Know that you are part of a great community here on BT and can vent or ask for help anytime.

I lost my mother last year just as I was getting into the training groove. I ended up missing 2 races I had already registered for. I tried to take some time off - I felt that training was not important in the scheme of things. After some time had passed though, I started back training but only half hearted. I have spent the last couple of months just kind of going thru the motions not really focused on training. I am also self employed - and know how draining that can be of your time. I can tell you though - that as some time has passed and I am feeling stronger I am also finding more time to train and it feeds off itself. I feel better afterwards and that carries over into other areas of my life. And at the end of every training session, I feel a little better about myself and my life. I know that the better I am - the more I can give to the rest of my family. And I can't help but think know that my mother would want me to continue to do the things that are important to me. So I have begun to use this as my fuel for motivation. Every time I feel like quitting or cutting short a session - I focus on my mother - and I am grateful to be able to participate - in anything - and I know deep down that this tri-ing thing I do is somewhat of my tribute to her....maybe that is weird but if it brings me peace - I don't care.  I did not get to say things to her that I wish now I had said....and this motivates me like I can't explain to you - but it drives me like nothing ever has....I will not quit....I will continue....if for nothing more than my own personal tribute to her and those who never tri -'ed or never will.....Yes, I do this for myself but I also do it for those that never will....

Stay in touch - keep the logs going!

2008-01-28 7:10 PM

Master

I am very sorry for your loss.  It takes major guts to post something that personal.   I also think that is part of the healing process.  It is very easy for me to say things will get better, but I really believe they will.  By posting on this board, you have already identified something that can help you move through this process.  Taking the steps to get out and train again.  I hope you do get out there and do something tomorrow.  Run for 10 minutes, and the next day go for 11.  It will help. 

My thoughts are with you and your family. 

Bennet

2008-01-30 5:42 AM

Veteran
South Florida
Well, I got my butt out of bed this morning and went for a jog. It hurt, but felt good. I want to say this is the first day of the new ME. I just hope I can make it stick.
Thanks Guys
2008-01-30 7:28 AM

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
The first season I did Tri's I had to end it abruptly due to issues at home. I found that if I could just get out on the occaisional run it gave me time to think, clear my mind, be pissed at the world or just scream while running down the path (*NOTE-- If you do this you should ensure no one else is within earshot, get some interesting looks). I could punish the roadby stomp, swing my arms a little harder, run through a water puddle kicking it everywhere, speed up to the point that I passed LT a long time before and could barely breathe, and what seemed to help most of all.... because I was sweating my off, flushed, away from wife who I needed to show support, and all ready breathing hard, I could just let the tears run.
I don't know how many runs I did that got cut short just so I could stop on the side of the path, in a park or where ever to just let them flow. Everyone has an outlet, some people know theirs and others are still searching. Mine was running. It was therapeutic for me, constructive too. Found your outlet brother, exploit it. You will know the right one when it all clicks and next thing you know you are yelling, running faster, crying, biking harder, whatever it may be, and at the end you ultimately feel like you can handle one more day. You will be alright, set your priorities and go with them. Maybe you need a season off to get yourself together, it won't hurt you. But I do suggest finding your outlet and going with it.

Good luck buddah, we are here to listen,
Scott

2008-01-31 3:45 PM

Veteran
South Florida
Went swimming this morning, a whopping 500m. It felt good. I'm going to look at bikes again this weekend. My LBS has an 07 Allez with PD Strykes on it for $1000 OTD......maybe it's time.
2008-02-01 5:42 AM

Veteran
South Florida
5 mile bike and 1.5 run this am. I'm back baby!!!!! I might jump to the Transition Comp for another $200.
2008-02-01 6:57 AM

Champion
MA

Awesome job Mike

Great training~ 

2008-02-01 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1188288

Master
Long Island, NY

MikeTri37 - 2008-02-01 6:42 AM 5 mile bike and 1.5 run this am. I'm back baby!!!!! I might jump to the Transition Comp for another $200.

Welcome Back Mike! Taking it One Day at a Time...Just a suggestion, but I find using the logs helps motivate me as well. It also helps other people see what you're doing and they can inspire (motivate) you.  I also find it self-motivating when I see the totals piling up.  Just my .02

2008-02-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1188329

Master
Dothan, Al

Mike, good luck buddy. :prayers:

2008-02-01 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Keep it up Mike. As said above, its one day at a time.

Thinking good thoughts for you and keep posting, let us know how yre doing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP!!! Need Inspiration/Motivation Rss Feed