General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-28 7:50 PM

User image

Castle Pines North, CO
Subject: Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

OK, so that was a lot.  I am training for the IMAZ in November.  I am following the IM plan from this site, and considering a coach either locally to Colorado or remote.  I have the following events planned:

14 Mile Ascent up Mt. Evans

2 Sprints

HIM in September

AZIM in November

Questions I would like to pose:

Is the IM Training Log enough to get me to the finish without any other type of help "Coach" ??

If I hire a coach, $$$$ how much,  locally or remote,  what should I expect of them? 

Competing in the events above while training for the AZIM is that too much or am I good to do both?  I don't want to over train, but the best way to get ready for any race................. well is to race.  My opinion

Any thoughts or comments would be valuable.  I just want to be informed and prepare myself in all areas.

Sincerely yours,

RayLaughing

2008-01-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1180721

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

Hi,

I'm a big fan of having a coach, if you're in a position to afford one. They'll be able to help you plan out your season, and make the journey to IM run alot more smoothly. If you find a coach you're confident in, they'll be able to provide you with answers to all the questions that will arise between now and then, and keep a close eye on you to ensure you're training hard, but not too hard. IMO, the races you have planned to do, seem like a reasonable season, but that's just what I think.

I pay my coach $150/month for essentially unlimited access. She does my program, planned out my season, helps me setting realistic goals, meets with me as often as possible to teach technique (works out to about once every 3 weeks...she lives about 8 hours from me, but is now training in California), frequent phone calls and regular emails. I think having a good coach is THE best investment you could make in training for IM.  There is SO much information out there, and SO many different opinions, I find it invaluable having one person I can go to that I trust completely to advise and guide me.

Good luck in your training!

2008-01-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1181951

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Last year I did ......

2 marathons (Boston and a BQ at Baltimore), a half mary, a HIM, a sprint, an olympic, an iron distance aqua velo, a full IM and numerous other smaller running races.

All non-coached.  I make my own plans using some different ones out there as the base for them.

Have I made mistakes??  Sure ..... have I learned from them and improved my training each go round?  Yup.

The key is to pick which are your "A" races and main focus.  Then plan the other events to fit into that schedule.  You do not have an aggressive racing plan so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

2008-01-29 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I second a coach. This is my 2nd year with a coach and the performance improvement I've seen has been huge. Like from feb to Oct I dropped 11 min off my half mary time. And that was going from a flat course to a hilly course! I dropped 14 min off my A race from the previous year (and that was a sprint)

But, most importantly, having a coach meant I was prepared for each race, I wasn't overtrained, and I was not injured. Have a coach meant all the difference in the world.

Now I'm training for my first IM and I can't imagine doing it without a coach.

Yes, it can be done, but if you can, get a coach, you will most likely feel like it's worth it. I pay mine around $125 per month, but her fees have gone up to 150 for new clients. So that number is about what you can expect. I've seen some do it for less, but they are typically only doing it via the web and not meeting with you. My coach is local.

2008-01-29 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Your HIM in Sept may be a bit too close to the IM. 6-8 weeks  is considered optimal.

Self coached -  nuff said.   

2008-01-29 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Ditch the sprints and replace with Olys and consider a HIM earlier in the summer.  Good luck

2008-01-29 3:33 PM

Master
portland, or
I think you're schedule is fine. If anything it's a little conservative, but I don't know your background. I also think a Sept. HIM is fine. Even if it's the last weekend of Sept it gives you six weeks until your IM.

One suggestion I would make is to try and set up your year into two seasons. Find a goal for June/July and peak for it. Take a week off, and then begin your training for IMAZ.

Having a coach is nice. It can take a lot of the planning stress out of the equation, but many people finish IM's every year without the assistance of a coach. If you opt to go self coached, I suggest you find a plan and stick to it. I think one of the biggest mistakes self-coached athletes make, especially those relatively new to the sport, is either not having a plan or varying from a plan.

They read about some workout, and decide they have to do it. Or they see where X is doing y, and they feel they should be doing that instead.

The range of coaching fees is all over the place. For a custom plan with feedback from the coach, expect to pay a minimum of $100/month, and there are plans that run many times that amount.

Have fun!

scott
2008-01-29 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I've only done one IM, but did it with a self-made plan and no coach. Had no major problems with injuries, training or finishing the race. It was only my 5th triathlon ever too.
2008-01-29 4:46 PM

User image

Castle Pines North, CO

I wanted to thank you all for your great comments.  I haven't decided on rather or not to have a coach or not, but the feedback has been very helpful and ultimately will affect my decision.  I want to thank all of you for your comments and I wish you a great season.

Sincerely yours,

RAY

2008-01-30 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I had a couch for 2007 and now 2008. Honestly, I get so over whelmed and confused by all the information that is out there... that I just kind of shut down. By having a coach he just tells me what to do when to achieve my goals. I like that.

My race this year is Ironman Kentucky. Everything I'm doing is with that in mind. My coach is letting me know what fits into my training plan and what doesn't.

For example I wanted to do an Oly in May... he said that I would be better off skiping the race and not losing my volume for that weekend. And you know what, he's right. Doing a Oly distance race isn't worth losing 4 hours on the bike and 2 hours of running... and minimum.

But that's just how he works. The coach I had in 2007 would just let me do what ever race I wanted and never really had any input on "do this" and "Don't do that". He was also $30 cheaper a month.

I know for me, I love having a coach. I would be lost without one. I like knowing that as long as I do what he gives me... and I follow his instructions for race day... I will cross the finish line at IMKY. (Yes, something crazy could happen and I could not be successful... but more than likely I'll make it.)

Well worth the investment of a coach to me.
2008-01-31 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
I navigated through multiple sprints, a coulple of oly's, a half IM, and an IM last year all self-coached. I had a great season for me with multiple personal bests, AG wins, race wins, and a successful IM. It was also my 5th year in triathlon. I've read lots of books and articles, made a few mistakes along the way, but generally think I know what I'm doing. The one mistake I did make was a 1/2 IM and full IM 4 weeks apart. That was a little too close for me.

If this is your first or second year in tri, I might suggest getting a coach to help navigate your way towards the IM. You might check out markallenonline.com and see what you think.

2008-01-31 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Lots of roads you can follow to success -- as you can see.

I have been using a coach for about a year and a half. I like the structure it brings to my training and the professional feedback I can get from someone I trust.

If you hire a coach be sure that they don't restrict how much you can communicate with them. You can get a plan out of a book -- what makes a good coach different is the relationship you build with them.
2008-02-02 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Considering IMAZ isn't till the 23rd of Nov a Sept HIM would be right in that 7-9 week window, so doing the HIM as a dress rehersal is a very good idea (and I will be doing the same for IMAZ). Is the MT Evans accent a bike or a run or both ?

Personally, I have been self coached but that's because most coaches would throttle me cause my schedule is schitzophenic, I hardly ever visit the pool, and I still haven't invested in aerobars. But having someone looking over my shoulder and pointing me in the right diection every now and then would be cool.

Good luck, have fun and see you in Tempe!
2008-02-02 9:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-02 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1191615

Elite
New City, New York

Yeah cuz there's no such thing as a bad coach. Not like ANY of them use cookie cutter plans.

JeepFleeb - 2008-02-02 10:38 PM

A local coach is always best, but any coaching is better than none.

2008-02-02 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1191640

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-02-03 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1191650

Elite
New City, New York
JeepFleeb - 2008-02-02 11:14 PM
rollinbones - 2008-02-02 10:01 PM

Yeah cuz there's no such thing as a bad coach. Not like ANY of them use cookie cutter plans.

A coach who uses cookie cutter plans isn't coaching.

Agreed, but they'll still GLADLY take peoples money and call it coaching.

2008-02-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1191808

Pro
Woodstock,GA
rollinbones - 2008-02-03 7:46 AM
JeepFleeb - 2008-02-02 11:14 PM
rollinbones - 2008-02-02 10:01 PM

A coach who uses cookie cutter plans isn't coaching.

Agreed, but they'll still GLADLY take peoples money and call it coaching.

That is where YOU the ATHLETE have a responsibility to do your due diligence before hiring a coach. If you pay for bad coaching that is your problem, like any profession there are good and bad.

2008-02-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1191615

Coach
Boston, MA
JeepFleeb - 2008-02-02 9:38 PM

A local coach is always best, but any a good coach is better than none.

I'm not a fan of pre-made plans because they're not made for you.  Everyone has different needs and no two athletes training for the same event will have the same plans.  (coming from the point of view of wanting to do your best, not just finish)

Plus someone else isn't caught up in the emotions like the athlete is.  They can tell you when you're biting off more than you can chew, when you're not pushing yourself enough, and when you're not doing what you need to be doing to reach your goal.

Aaron, I fixed your post so Mr rollinbones don't go all ninja on you
2008-02-04 12:56 PM

Master
Chicago

What's your personality type? If you're the type of person who:

1. Needs constant communication.

2. Needs affirmation from outside sources.

3. Needs training structure not just a training plan.

4. Needs a second opinion.

You might need a coach. But also if you're an unassuming person who doesn't think he knows everything about a sport that he just started and can use the advice of someone who has lived and breathed this sport for years you might consider a coach.

Triathletes by nature are independent animals. But I'm not as arrogant to think that I can't learn from someone with more expertise and knowlege than I have. And as long as I'm learning then it's money well spent.

If you said yes to these things you might need a coach. I think a coach is only as good as his/her ability to meet what you need. Some coaches have pre-made plans but are so attentive to your details that people love them. Other coaches may work diligently for months to create a unique plan for you but never answer their e-mails. Picking a coach is like picking a spouse - well not really but close. You have to figure out what they have to offer and if it matches what you have to offer or is it just "nicely stated." Does it match your needs? And you might have to "date," a lot.

I did sprints, Oly and HIM all without a coach. Then 12 months ago I decided to do an Ironman. So I hired a coach. I did sprints, Oly and HIM with a coach. I was neutral about my coach experince mostly because she wasn't local but also she didn't really teach me anything I didn't know. And I thought, "WTH? I don't need a coach. I can do what she did...."

So after going without a coach for Sept., Nov., and December and January, I recently hired another coach. A person who has coached athletes for years. And she's local. But local or unlocal here was the difference:

I e-mailed my new prospective coach before we started and told her that I was doing a 1/2 Mary on the weekend and that I would get back to her during the week. She e-mailed two days after the race and asked me what happened between mile 9 and mile 10. That's where my splits had slowed down. I hadn't even paid her a dime. She went and found my race and looked up my time and my splits. After talking to her, we realized I wasn't eating early and often enough and now she makes me eat a gel every 45 minutes. I still haven't paid her a dime. Some may call that stalking - I call it initiative and attention to detail.

Now that's a coach. She's giving me information that I need. That's helping me improve. She's noticing stuff that I don't notice myself and giving me a solution for it. I'm not big on hand holding but I am big on expertise and knowledge. Sooo don't just think paying someone $150 a month is going to get you where you need to be. If you were hiring a nanny or a teacher for your kid or a new employee you'd do your homework wouldn't you? Well do your homework. And pick the right person for the job. Or decided you don't need a person for the job.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training Rss Feed