General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple Race Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-29 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Altoona, Iowa
Subject: Multiple Race Training Question
I am new to triathlons but would like to do three or four this year. I purchased a training book and was wondering how to train between each tri. Here are my thoughts and I would like either encouragement or tell me I don't get it. I am counting the weeks between each tri and then counting back on my training schedule and starting there for the next one. My thought is that it give me the most training plus a taper week. Is my thinking right on this? Any comments are welcome.

2008-01-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1182102

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Multiple Race Training Question
Go to Articles >
> Beginners
> Beginner Q&A
> My First Tri

Good Luck, Zvika
2008-01-29 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I would suggest this approach. Set up your training schedule based on the #1 priority race for the season then just adjust your plan to fit in the other races. To make it simple, make the last race of the year your 'A' race and design your plan around that. For the other two or three races work them into your training plan, treating them as a brick (a brick that you get a T-shirt for). I normally only taper for my 'A' races and train right thru the others. Make sure you give your body a chance to recover after each race, before you get back into it, but for most shorter distance races you don't need a lot of time (usually an easy day or 2 and you are good to go).
2008-01-30 1:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Three or Four for a first timer is a good number. Get some solid training in until summer, and rest few days before and after each race. By rest, I donĀ“t mean sitting on the couch watching TV and take 5 days off in a row, but very short and NO intensity sessions, with a random day off here and there, active rest is better for you than you think. Just make sure you are feeling good before getting back into training after the races.

Good luck,
Vinnie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple Race Training Question Rss Feed