General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri suit for first tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-04 9:21 AM

User image

Denton, TX
Subject: tri suit for first tri?
Hello everyone. As the subject says, is it appropriate to purchase a relatively inexpensive trisuit for my first sprint distance tri? I know I am going to have to probably purchase some new clothing either way so I figured why not go for the suit. I also figured since I want to continously participate in triathalons, why not go ahead and start right. Are these meant to be worn throughout the entire race? I know it's my first tri and I am going to concetrate on having fun and completing it with a smile, but I have also want to obtain a decent time and not waste energy and effort removing/putting on clothing during transition. What about sizing? Any info that someone can provide for the nube here would be greatly appreciated (I mean ANY and all info would ne great!) Thanks!

2008-02-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1193092

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: tri suit for first tri?

Yes, get a tri suit .

You will wear it for the entire race, and no clothes changes will be necessary. Depending on the water temp, etc., you might need/want to wear a wetsuit for the swim. If that's the case, the wetsuit will be worn over your tri suit and stripped off during T1 (swim-to-bike transition).

You can get a one-piece or two-piece tri suit. I prefer two as it makes things easier in the portopot before the race, but it's really a matter of personal preference. Also, make sure you get a race belt. You can affix your number to your race belt and then throw it on in either T1 or T2 (some races require you wear your number for the bike, others just require it ofr the run).

I hope that helps. Good luck and have fun !!!!

Oh, and for your first tri suit, I would recommend trying them as opposed to "guessing" your size and ordering online.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-02-04 9:27 AM
2008-02-04 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1193102

User image

Denton, TX
thanks for the info! Very helpful!
2008-02-04 11:53 AM

Hey, there is no shame in getting a trisuit for your first race. I did. I'm a chick, so I wouldn't have to change shirts from swimming, but I also figured that a tri top might ride up during the swim, since the race was in August and I wasn't using a wetsuit. Definitely go try them on, though. Different brands fit very differently. I have a Zoot trisuit and the same size in a different brand did not fit me AT ALL (and I'm by no means fat - my Zoot is an extra small, but I couldn't even zip the Descente x-small I tried on - I felt fat then!). But I managed to get mine on sale, and I didn't even get it at a tri-specific shop. Since tris are becoming more popular, some of the outdoorsy stores like REI, etc are starting to cater to the sport.

So if you're worried that it will make you look like a poseur, it won't

2008-02-04 12:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
I take pride looking like a poser.... posers unite! Yeah it is a good idea to get some tri suits or trishorts and a top. It will kill your time if you plan on changing at each transition even if you are not planning to smash the competition you will always look back and say.. what the heck was i doing for 7 min during that transition.
2008-02-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1193554

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

baggyman - 2008-02-04 12:27 PM I take pride looking like a poser.... posers unite! Yeah it is a good idea to get some tri suits or trishorts and a top. It will kill your time if you plan on changing at each transition even if you are not planning to smash the competition you will always look back and say.. what the heck was i doing for 7 min during that transition.

Sage words from the Baggyman.  My first sprint I had everything planned out, including the "wardrobe" changes.  Came out of the pool and got to transition.  Had my way-cool bike jersey to put on, slid it over my head...and tried to slide it down my torso.  It didn't slide.  It rolled up like a fruit roll-up. Stuck.  Take it off, try again.  This time more like a rolled-up cold cut.  Meanwhile, head is spinning, and I am vastly aware that my already tired arms are getting more tired and not operating properly.  Tick tock tick tock....5 minute transition...in a SPRINT.  So, I finally give up and hop on the bike and there I go.. looking like a fruit roll-up/cold cut.  It appeared like I was wearing a sports bra until I dried off several miles into the ride.  I am a dude and I wasn't going for the "bro" look.

My 2nd tri I wore a tri suit.  Transition time and energy saved.  Live and learn.  Now it's your turn...to learn...and...

Go with the tri-suit.

2008-02-04 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1193605

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
karhooligan - 2008-02-04 1:46 PM

baggyman - 2008-02-04 12:27 PM I take pride looking like a poser.... posers unite! Yeah it is a good idea to get some tri suits or trishorts and a top. It will kill your time if you plan on changing at each transition even if you are not planning to smash the competition you will always look back and say.. what the heck was i doing for 7 min during that transition.

Sage words from the Baggyman.  My first sprint I had everything planned out, including the "wardrobe" changes.  Came out of the pool and got to transition.  Had my way-cool bike jersey to put on, slid it over my head...and tried to slide it down my torso.  It didn't slide.  It rolled up like a fruit roll-up. Stuck.  Take it off, try again.  This time more like a rolled-up cold cut.  Meanwhile, head is spinning, and I am vastly aware that my already tired arms are getting more tired and not operating properly.  Tick tock tick tock....5 minute transition...in a SPRINT.  So, I finally give up and hop on the bike and there I go.. looking like a fruit roll-up/cold cut.  It appeared like I was wearing a sports bra until I dried off several miles into the ride.  I am a dude and I wasn't going for the "bro" look.

My 2nd tri I wore a tri suit.  Transition time and energy saved.  Live and learn.  Now it's your turn...to learn...and...

Go with the tri-suit.

Did you have the matching manties for your bro??  That would have been HOT

2008-02-04 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1193617

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
pinktrigal - 2008-02-04 12:52 PM
karhooligan - 2008-02-04 1:46 PM

Go with the tri-suit.

Did you have the matching manties for your bro??  That would have been HOT

Uhhh... negative, Ghostrider, that pattern was full...ahem...BLACK tri shorts... I'd post a picture, but I thankfully made it out of transition like that before anyone could point and click.

I am actually considering the (gasp!) topless route this season, excluding IMAZ, of course.

2008-02-04 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Tri suit all the way. It's worth every penny.

Even nice to workouts too. I love my tri shorts for long runs. No issues with undies going where they shouldn't be. Even love to train in my tri tops as well... bought 4 of the same model in different colors.

As far as sizing goes... just find what you like and order it according to their size charts. See if it fits.
2008-02-04 2:12 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Good advice already. The only thing I would add is to practice all three disciplines in your new attire BEFORE your first race.

Good luck!
2008-02-04 2:32 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Any recommended brands/models/styles?

I am in the market for one too...

2008-02-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1193841

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

vrljc - 2008-02-04 2:32 PM Any recommended brands/models/styles? I am in the market for one too...

It kind of depends on body type.. but Zoot does a fine job.  1 piece and 2 piece are a toss up.. 2 piece for longer races.  I am sure someone will post a link for some places like www.trisports.com or www.zootsports.com or the BT store right up top.. but I am too lazy, and late getting to the gym.

Good luck and happy racing.

Chris

2008-02-04 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
The only reason not to get one is you think you might not like the sport and don't want to wast the $$.  Who cares if you look like a poser.  They are definately easier to race in but not necessary.  Your transitions time will be much slower without it but if you don't care wear what you have.
2008-02-04 3:09 PM

User image

Denton, TX
thanks for all the replies. every word is like a revelation to me. you are all pretty much amazing and awesome. press on.
2008-02-04 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1193916

colemanford - 2008-02-04 4:09 PM  you are all pretty much amazing and awesome. press on.

Haha, you've never seen me race

2008-02-04 6:41 PM

User image

Houston, TX
i bought a trisuit and didn't like it.  you have to take it all the way down to pee and its pretty clingy.  not tight but the small amount to pressure it did make on my chest translated to feeling like it was hard to breathe in the swim.  down here in texas more than anything else guys just go topless.  i'd spend half the money and get a pair of tri-shorts.  then later if you want to cover up you can get a tri top or two and have different combinations of stuff to wear.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri suit for first tri? Rss Feed