General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken left hip-- Sucks to be me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-06 8:16 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Broken left hip-- Sucks to be me
I'm a beginner at Tri. Having lost alot of weight in 2007, and gotten down to my ideal weight I was looking for something to help keep me motivated with my exercise regiments. Starting this past Thanksgiving, I started training for my first Sprint Tri. Then about a month ago, I fell off of my bike on my left side when my front tire hit a little ice as I was leaving for my morning ride. Turns out I broke my left hip. They took me into surgery, put in a plate, and a bunch of screws. I'm still not able to put any weight on my left leg, and have to get around with an old man walker. Supposively, I'll get to go back to work in a month or so, and will be released for all training MID APRIL (with some intermediate releases before then)!!

Any suggestions anyone has for me on training as I'm gradually released by my doctor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2008-02-07 6:06 AM
in reply to: #1198290

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Broken left hip-- Sucks to be me

Sorry to hear about your accident and surgery.  Not exactly the same thing, but I had open-heart surgery seven years ago.  I was able to start working out about three months post-op, but it took me about nine months to get where I felt "normal" again.  Best advice I can give is to follow your doctor's orders and be patient.  You'll probably have some good days and bad days, so be prepared for that.  Listen to your body and be careful of pushing too hard too soon.

Best wishes.

Mark

2008-02-07 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Awww man, Dave!  I'm so sorry about your accident.  Glad that you are on the mend, though.  I agree with RedCorvette in listening to your Dr's advice first and foremost.  I would also recommend lots of pool activities when you're cleared for activity.  You can start doing activities in the pool while you are still on partial weight bearing status.  In addition to just regular freestyle swimming, you can walk forwards, backwards, sideways which will help work all muscles around your hip. In chest deep water, this is harder than most people think.  As you get stronger and the leg heals, you can add in aquajogging. 

Regaining balance and trust in your leg again once it's healed is another thing that shouldn't be overlooked.  In the pool, it's as simple as standing on your injured leg only and trying to maintain your balance. When you can do that, add in some arm movements.  On land balance retraining is a little more complex.  Is your doc going to send you for any physical therapy?  A PT would be able to address balance and proprioception retraining with you.  Also a PT  would be a great resource in helping plan your training along with and in line with your recovery.

Hang in there and keep us updated on how you're doing.

2008-02-07 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'm so sorry....you should be able to ride the trainer fairly quickly.  Once your incision heals you can probably get back in the pool.  Its the running thing that is going to take time and patience, but I bet pool running is not too far off.....boring as it is.  HEAL FAST!!
2008-02-07 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

check out the logs from TH3_FRB from May - July 2006.

He was involved in a hit and run and I think he had a broken hip. He did what training he could and has come back strong.

Edited by jcjsc00 2008-02-07 4:52 PM
2008-02-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1198609

User image

New user

Thanks so much for the support and advice. My incision is healed up well enough to where I'm hoping to be able to get back into at least the pool this week. I think he'll release me to put weight on my left leg soon too. I'm definately going to try the water stuff once I'm released for that, and maybe get the doctor to request some PT for me at this stage.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken left hip-- Sucks to be me Rss Feed