General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic Half Marathon - Regina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hypothermic Half Marathon - Regina - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Running Room
-34C / -29F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 24s
Overall Rank = /90
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up looked, at the temperature. -34, wind chill -49c. Questioned my sanity.
Rye bread, nutella, peanut butter and jam and coffee.
Did some blogging, wandered around the the house aimlessly, questioning my sanity.
Got dressed in three layers.
Made coffee for first wife.
Started the car and listened to it curse me.
Drove to race start one hour before race.
Went to the bathroom about six times.
Had some water and a powerbar.
Event warmup:

Did some machs inside the Arts centre, then did some more with John outdoors, about a half km total distance with some strides.
By the time we got back it was go time.
Run
  • 2h 21m 24s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 42s  min/km
Comments:

Not the greatest run. Started a little fast, but soon found my pace. Unfortunately it was in no-man's land between the slow and the fast runners.
Interesting that I had a runny nose...not unusual, but when I blew it I noticed my right nostril was kinda bloody. This worried me a bit, but I just kept going and it cleared up...The things that fill your mind when you are trying not to think about what you are doing!

I was feeling good for first half ready to do a negative split, but then both calves started cramping up. I pushed through that, but it slowed down my gait a lot. I also had a lot of trouble with the cold....duh! I wore my heavy duty balaclava with the face part that stays on with Velcro. It froze and the velcro wouldn't stick, so it flapped like a board and kept hitting me in the face. I was a little worried about it for a while, but I managed to fix it. I was reluctant to take it off and thus had one less gel than I wanted to and not enough liquid (semi-liquid frozen substance).
Three power gels total.

I took my glove(s) off at one point and couldn't get it on again...this all distracted me and slowed me down somewhat, and messed with my mind.
I just couldn't get back up to speed again, until the last 2k.
Some water station volunteer poured water on my foot...luckily it wasn't too bad and it must have evaporated in the frigid cold!

Everything froze up and my lungs started to hurt a bit. I was worried a bit about my asthma and bronchitis as my lungs were a little sore and my mouth piece was frozen so wasn't warming my air too much. But it all worked out. All other systems were go, albeit frozen.

Great music thanks to John. Kept me very motivated when I was starting to slow down and lose focus. Never got to the "I gotta walk" stage...I just slowed down a bit and walked a bit, but nothing out of desperation. I just ran my race.

Walked about 20 seconds every 3 k and at water stations. And in the last 7 k I was running behind one runner and she stopped a few times and I stopped (walked) with her, but then I smartened up and started running again. Finished very strong and even ran a bit for a cool down.
What would you do differently?:

Never run in -34C temperature.
Use a different hat, balaclava system.
Run faster...I wish I had...but I couldn't. Not in this weather, cold and ice conditions.
I don't think I could have done much of anything better.

I'm happy with this race, even though it was a good five minutes slower than I hoped but over 26 minutes faster than last years.
I weighed my clothes. 10 pounds heavier than when I put them on...That's all moisture!

Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my lovely first wife who volunteered. Got groped and felt up by Wanda who took my race number tag, then ran about 200 metres to the Arts Centre entrance as a cool down.

Went in and had some good food with good friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold. Freezin' Cold. Cold and Ice. Frozen air. Chilled atmosphere. Cold.
Clothing weighed me down and created problems after it got wet, then frozen.
Crampy calfs. Couldn't get to my gels easily enough...two were in my gloves to keep them warm, the others froze.
Water bottle had to be unscrewed. Too much hassle so I only had a half big bottle. Should have had more. Would have gone faster if I didn't have to carry all this stuff.
Did I mention the cold limited me?
My training was right on. I was ready for this, It just didn't happen.

Event comments:

It was too cold.

Beat last year's time by 26 minutes...and the conditions were better then!

The best part of the race was the music in my ears thanks to John. That and the last K where I finally put everything together, pushed away the cold and the pain and just ran.
First 1/3 of the race was good too, I enjoyed myself and felt like I knew what I was doing.
As I heard before, this race was hard, but it won't be -34 at Ironman...It might be +34! Crap!

Last updated: 2008-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:24 | 21.1 kms | 06m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/90
Performance: Good
Forgot to turn off Garmin. Time is give or take a minute. I'll wait for official time. AVG hr 145 Max 158 cals 2156 Very windy at University and at ring road. Felt a little frost bite on the left side of my face where the wind was blowing.
Course: Well known course. Very icy. Not overly windy except in certain sections where I was worried about getting too cold. Snow Cat was out cleaning the road in the park and left snowpiles and lots of ice in its wake. Some snow dunes that were hard to run through under the bridge between the two lakes. I walked that section the second time through. Almost turned an ankle on a ice chunk that I stepped on. For the most part, the course was good and well marked and there were some foolhardy volunteers (bless them!) pointing the way. Damn it was cold.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-10 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Hypothermic Half Marathon - Regina

2008-02-10 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1203788

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Hypothermic Half Marathon - Regina
That's a great effort...especially in this weather!  Congrats...you've worked hard for this!
2008-02-10 2:41 PM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan

Great report, did you mention it was cold Cool

You did awesome my friend, getting faster all the time. Look out RPS.

2008-02-10 2:51 PM

User image

Congrats! But you're crazy! I would have been one of the ones wimping out.

Take extra good care of yourself these next few days. You've put your body through a lot of strain and you'll need good recovery to stay healthy.

And huge round of applause to first wife! You better buy her something fantastic for Valentine's Day!
2008-02-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1203806

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Yay for you! Just breathing that cold air is enough to freeze you from the inside out.  It's days like this that it would be nice to be a cold blooded animal!

Hugged my lovely first wife who volunteered. Got groped and felt up by Wanda who took my race number tag...

Great that your wife was there - ditto to what Andrea said...she deserves something really nice! And, being groped by Wanda...that's a finish line bonus!!!

2008-02-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1203806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

amg - 2008-02-10 2:51 PM Congrats! But you're crazy! I would have been one of the ones wimping out. Take extra good care of yourself these next few days. You've put your body through a lot of strain and you'll need good recovery to stay healthy. And huge round of applause to first wife! You better buy her something fantastic for Valentine's Day!

I never buy her anything nice for Valentine's Our bananaversary is on the 13th...It makes double booking awkard. 

2008-02-10 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Whoo hoo!  You rock, way to get out there and get it done.  I still think you're crazy..
2008-02-10 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1203936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Was there ever any doubt of that...like I said. I'm insane, just not stupid.
2008-02-10 6:31 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Good on ya for getting out there in the insanely cold weather.  I see that it didn't kill you.  Therefore, you must be stronger.  Great improvement over last year despite the conditions.  Nicely done.

2008-02-10 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1204000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
milaminute - 2008-02-10 6:31 PM

Good on ya for getting out there in the insanely cold weather. I see that it didn't kill you. Therefore, you must be stronger. Great improvement over last year despite the conditions. Nicely done.

You know you are part of this achievement. 

2008-02-10 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Man, I am speechless... Holy crap. I have to compose myself first. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2008-02-10 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Nice job, you are nuts! and i thought it was cold in Nebraska.
2008-02-10 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Nerves, bleeding nostrils, crampy calves, clothing malfunctions, nutrition problems, mental distractions, volunteer issues, frozen body parts, shrinkage(which may be natural?), but at least ya had good tunes!  Holy )(*&*()&^%$&*_%# you're my hero!
2008-02-10 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1204173

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow!  It was about -35 windchill in Minneapolis today, and I could barely make it from the car to the restaurant.  Dude!  Good job.  I think you're crazy though.
2008-02-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1204173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Highwaydog - 2008-02-10 8:28 PM Nerves, bleeding nostrils, crampy calves, clothing malfunctions, nutrition problems, mental distractions, volunteer issues, frozen body parts, shrinkage(which may be natural?), but at least ya had good tunes! Holy )(*&*()&^%$&*_%# you're my hero!

Thanks man! Don't forget first wife...She was good to race home for.  

2008-02-10 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome..insanely cold.

I grew up in MN and don't miss that cold weather...trips to No. MN when it was -30 and having to go to the outhouse was far enough to run but to go 13.1 miles~

Congrats on finishing, big improvement from last year, and I think must help develop amazing mental toughness.

How did you keep your feet warm?

10 pounds of moisture in your clothes that must of slowed you down some? 

2008-02-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1204293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
KathyG - 2008-02-10 9:54 PM

Awesome..insanely cold.

I grew up in MN and don't miss that cold weather...trips to No. MN when it was -30 and having to go to the outhouse was far enough to run but to go 13.1 miles~

Congrats on finishing, big improvement from last year, and I think must help develop amazing mental toughness.

How did you keep your feet warm?

10 pounds of moisture in your clothes that must of slowed you down some?

I considered duct tape, but it wouldn't stick on my shoes - in fact there were tons of shoe-shaped tape on the course. After a while, my feet stayed okay. There was little wind, so it wasn't bad at all.

One day I'll find some clothes that handle moisture better!

2008-02-11 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Mes hommages!! The interesting part is that every body parts (except the cramps) seemed fine judging by your report, that is good AND shaving 26 minutes.  Wowza!
2008-02-11 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1205138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

steve8 - 2008-02-11 11:33 AM Mes hommages!! The interesting part is that every body parts (except the cramps) seemed fine judging by your report, that is good AND shaving 26 minutes. Wowza!

Everything but the shrinkage! Surprised

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic Half Marathon - Regina Rss Feed