General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New wetsuit! sweet! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-16 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: New wetsuit! sweet!

Just recieved my wetsuit! Sweet! question - I don't have any pam or bodyglide - and the suit is very snug to wiggle into - should I worry about tearing or weakening seams while trying to shimmy it up?

Next question - how many of you swim in the ocean alone? If the wetsuit provides pretty good flotation - kinda like a life jacket - then wouldn't you be fairly safe swimming alone along the shore? Or is that just a no-no?

Edited by tntexpres 2008-02-16 10:46 AM

2008-02-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1215863

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: New wetsuit! sweet!

soak it in water.  It will help make it more pliable.

As a rule (for me) OWS on my own are a no-no.  Too many variables, and open bodies of water are too unpredictable.  People drown even in life jackets.  If you can't find someone to go swimming with you, see if you can find someone who will keep an eye on you from shore. 

2008-02-16 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Easy way to put it on.... turn the arms and legs almost all the way inside out  ie. pull them up so you are looking at the inside and when you put your foot into the leg only a few inches of it go over your foot... then you roll the suit up your leg (and pull it up at the same time, pulling on the inside that is facing you).  Once you get the legs pulled up all the way to your crotch, pull the suit up over your hips.  Now put your arm into the suits arms that is mostly inside out, and again roll and pull it up over your arm.  Make sure you  pull the back of the suit up high before you zip it up.. and you are ready to jump in !!

It would be so much easier if I  had video but hope this makes sense.  I'm sure someone else will post a video  of this but I can't find  the link  to one.

2008-02-16 11:20 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

I don't swim alone...UNLESS you are just staying close to shore, going back and forth in front of a lifeguard and you make them aware of what you are doing.  Plus, if a shark attacks, you want the shark to have someone else to eat

I have no useful tips on the wetsuit-I only have used one once, and it was borrowed. 

2008-02-16 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I agree--don't swim alone--mostly for the shark reason!    What brand, etc?  I got a new wetsuit last week, too!  I haven't taken it for a swim, but did use it for a few other things.....

2008-02-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1215918

User image

Master
St. Louis
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-16 11:37 AM

I agree--don't swim alone--mostly for the shark reason!    What brand, etc?  I got a new wetsuit last week, too!  I haven't taken it for a swim, but did use it for a few other things.....

HAHAHA... That is too funny!

As for the OP:
Yes, the wetsuit will float you. It will also float you face down in the water if something happens where you cant right ourself, or are unconscious. Therefore, it will also float your corpse. So personally, I wouldn't do any OWS swimming alone. In fact... I wouldnt do any swimming alone, even in an indoor pool. There should always be someone around... its just not worth the risk otherwise.

As far as getting it on. PAM definitely helps. I usually put on a LIBERAL amount of bodyglide, especially on my ankles, wrists, and armpits/shoulders. After that, I PAM the heck out of those same areas, and start sliding on the wetsuit. Go slow. Depending on how tight a fit it is, it can take a bit of time. I usually budget 20 minutes to get mine on for a race, and need someone else to zip it up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New wetsuit! sweet! Rss Feed