Running Room
-7C / 19F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 34s
Overall Rank = 16/300
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race with about 30 minutes to go - figured out the layout of the race and then headed out for a short warm up. After that, figured out what I would be wearing and then headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

Just a quick 1.5km jog with some pickups to race effort.
Run
  • 1h 31m 34s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 20s  min/km
Comments:

This is my first stand alone run race of any length and it was strange to start without a swim or bike beforehand.

My goal was to run the race as 5 miles slightly below race pace, 5 miles at race pace and then the last 5km as fast as possible.

I think I started a little too quickly, wanted to hit the turnaround just a little faster than 45' - I was a full minute ahead of schedule but was feeling fine and had some people to follow. I was in the top 10 for the entire first half of the race, running steady, form felt solid and not really pushing that hard.

The second 5 miles, I started pushing a little more but wasn't feeling as in control; obviously effort was higher but just wasn't feeling smooth and felt that I was slowing down - looking at the time when I went through 16km I think I was pretty solid but was a little too fast through 16km as the last five I had little left to give.

Finishing through the seaport and back into the park, I felt okay, not fast but was holding my pace pretty well. However, when the course pitched up, I blew up - I had probably given back about a minute to 1:30 from the first half to the second at this point and I gave the remainder back in the last two km (and most up the hill). I just couldn't get the legs going and had the final two people who passed me go by on the hill. Once I cleared the hill, I ran steady to the finish but had absolutely no finishing kick - I was pretty much spent at the end. I missed my goal of going sub-1:30 by a little bit - I think with better pacing I would have nailed it.
What would you do differently?:

Little easier on the first 5 miles - stay a little more conservative through the entire first half of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor pacing.

Event comments:

Solid race - may have to do it again next year to get under 1:30.

Last updated: 2008-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:34 | 21.1 kms | 04m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 17/300
Performance: Good
1st half - 43:59 HR 174 2nd half - 46:xx HR 176
Course: Mainly flat course, some sidewalk, some boardwalk, some dirt some road. Only two major hills - a downhill into the park (about 2-3km) and then back up that at the end (19-20km).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-17 6:38 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Hypothermic Half

2008-02-17 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1217287

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Hypothermic Half
Shane - great race and great effot!  I knew you had a half mary coming up but didn't realize it was this weekend.  You sound like you gave it all you had - too bad the hills spoiled your goal in the end - but what a solid PR!
2008-02-18 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Great race for so early in the year! Nice work!
2008-02-18 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race and I bet the tee shirt is cool!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hypothermic Half Rss Feed