United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 47m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove to Dublin on Sat, checked in and went to "expo". This was a small race but they also had a 5k, 10k, half marathon and then the full marathon. We stayed at the host hotel, which was nice. We went to dinner at a Irish Pub and headed back to the hotel. This is when the problems began. Number 1, I forgot my running shoes. How does one travel two and half hours for a road race and forget the one thing that will make or break a race. My husband actually offered to go home and get them, however, I was wearing sneakers that somewhat looked like running shoes, or so I thought, I could easily get away with them. Jim also offered to go out and get me a new pair, but I declined. Problem 2, Jim checked the weather and we were having a 80% chance of rain with 25 MPH winds for the race. I didn't feel good about this race, I wonder why.
Event warmup:

up at 6:30, ate. Got the kids up and dressed. Problem 3, ready to walk out the door, had my timing chip strapped to my shoe with plastic ties. My four year old son leans down and said "Mommy this is sticking out of your shoe, let me get it" and with one swift move he pulls timing check right off and breaks plastic tie. Jim and I just stared at each other in disbelief. I couldn't help but laugh. Jim fixed it and we headed to the start, which happened to be at the front of the hotel. The weather was cold, wet and windy. I wore tights, jacket and gloves, I figured I could toss them if the need be. Problem 4, I brought my IPOD and only one ear piece was working, a little annoying.
Run
  • 4h 47m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the race fine, around mile marker 4 I started having problems with my feet.It was a feeling of socks slipping, bunching up, I am not sure. So I saw Jim and stop, told him the problem, fixed the problem I thought and moved on. It was getting progressively worse, at this point I could feel I had blisters on the ball of my foot and in between the crease of my foot. During this time, Jim went on a hunt for shoes and some sweet lady with FleetFeet, offered her shoes. Around the 12th lap I stopped and changed shoes. but I think at this point it was too late. My socks were wet and covered in blood. Headed back on the course, and around lap 15, my GPS lost its signal and started to go backwards, I am not sure why it did this but it just seemed to add to my list of crappy things. The course had thinned out pretty much but you always had people running around you. We had some spitting rain but not bad at all. The winds were fairly high but it at warmed up nicely. Around the 17 lap I felt I was at my breaking point, I lost it, my feet were killing me, but I couldn't stop even if I had to walk I would. Thank God Jim was there, he was the the perfect support I needed. He knew exactly what was going through my mind. I decieded to press on. My achilles started acting up around lap 20, but I think my felt hurts so bad it didn't matter. Lap 21 the count down began and I finished, and I was the last.
What would you do differently?:

Not forget my shoes. I also had Achilles tendonitis problems since Christmas, about three weeks outside this race I stopped running and did DWR to heal the problem. The problem did resurface until the 20th lap, so I guess thats good.
Post race
Warm down:

went back to room and pulled socks off, some pretty nasty blisters. They were all over balls of my feet, on my toes, in the crease of my foot, and between my toes. Some were just blister but couple were blood blisters. Needless to say, I had a hard time walking. Showered, Oh and blisters really hurt when water hits them. Packed up, went to Starbucks and headed south.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bad shoes, injuries.

Event comments:

Like I said, good race if thats all you want is a PR. However, I think I enjoy marathons when I feel I'm going some place. 26 laps requires some mental toughness to get over the boredom. It's hard enough to run 26.2 mile I don't need to add to it. So with that said, I think this is a race that I would not do again. Jim and I and a discussion on the way back home last night about speed and goals, I think I need to take some time and deciede my next step.

Last updated: 2008-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:47:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: The course had one purpose, if you were trying to achieve a PR, this was the course for you. It was a one mile loop, 26 times, around a office/hotel complex. Completely flat, no scenery. Not much more to say on that
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-02-18 7:42 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Last Chance for Boston Marathon

2008-02-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1217782

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Last Chance for Boston Marathon
26x around the same loop?  Yeah, like a hamster on a wheel. That's mental toughness--physical too with the condition of your feet.  Congratulations on hanging in there!
2008-02-19 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Wow, a string of challenges.  But the amazing thing is, you pressed on and you finished.  26 loops of a one mile course is ALL about mental toughness.  An physical too...you really overcame a lot of challenges.  I bet you'll never ever forget your shoes again.  Congrats on overcoming the odds and getting out there in some crazy conditions!
2008-02-19 1:58 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I totally would have stayed all night in the Irish Pub and forgot about the race if I arrived with NO SHOES!   Add to it all the other things, and I would have stayed there all the next morning too    You are one tough chick!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Last Chance for Boston Marathon Rss Feed