Greater Bellingham Running Club
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 26m 59s
Overall Rank = 53/71
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Get up early, eat the oatmeal and banana with coffee, hopefully this gets my system going. It doesn't. Any other day going to work, it works just fine. Shower and doodled around on the PC while Wife and doggies got ready.
Event warmup:

Got to Park/Start area early, had to tinkle (again) so went to the Park RestRooms (lighted and warm) and NOW the system is working. So felt better and lighter. Walked the dogs, got the bib# strip. A few stretches and tinkled again. Good Grief.
Run
  • 4h 26m 59s
  • 26 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I've done the 25K race that goes along with this race the last two years. So the course is well Known, plus have ridden the bike on the route during IM training.

Went out controlled and smooth. Since there are no mile markers, never knew what my actual pace was. Never felt to fast or hard for the first 3-4 miles. Than a threesome caught up to me and I ran with them for the next 3-4 miles or just off their draft. The guy had a garmin and said pace had been around 8:24 (!) but the Climb at Drayton Road was around 11:00 pace.

At the top of the climb Saw the Wifey and stopped an petted her and kissed the dogs. Oops other way around. Kinda let the threessome pull away. Pace was just a little too quick for me. Getting up around the 9-10 mile area and realized there were not going to be any more gears changing except to go slower. Started to recognize aches and tightness and strains going on throughout the lower half of body. The slow wearing down of muscles, bones and joints.

From now on I was running solo. Deep into my own thoughts and world of agony. First song to run through the brain was Freak of the Week by Marvelous 3, then, when I was having serious questions about tightness in the stomach, started to hear the Frankie goes to Hollywood "RELAX.
Which segued into George Michaels Faith. And at somepoint, One Week, by the Barefoot Ladies cranked up.

As the miles piled on, kept thinking the next race would be a 50k.....WAIT! WAIT!, STOP IT! Do not think about future races. Keep the focus on this race right now. I've had these discussions with myself many times. Cannot think or plan the future when you are going through this agony. But a day later (as like I'm now typing and thinking, I can do it) thinks start to brighten up.

Also as my stride shortened and the pace slowed to sometimes an IM Shuffle. I kept contemplating walking. Did some mental slaps to my mind and pushed that out of my mind, unless I had a drastic intestinal meltdown....Which came into play. I had used the restrooms before the race, but just pass the halfway point, start to pass some gas and felt like I better be carefull that something else didn't comeout......
Luckily there are some portajohns along the course at some construction sites. But of course, the intense feelings of "GOTTA GO" now is never near a porta john. Started looking at the local woods, having to jump across a ditch with cold water in it, thoughts about, "which shirt can I use to wipe" and other strange questions and thoughts. Could I jump into the bay of cold salt water to rinse off....

Funny, as I came to the last chance for a portajohn at mile 21, the feelings passed. I had gone through 4 ACCEL gels, had a few blisters aching on my toes. and of course I had a few small pebbles in my shoe.

Came to the final 2.5 miles through the village of Birch Bay. Saw lots of people riding bikes. No Tri bikes, just Roadies and the occasional cruiser with an old lady/or guy.

Wanted to walk, but just kept chugging on . Resisted looking at the watch for a time check. My last had been at 3:25 or something and that was around 20 miles or so. So I knew early that If I had gas in the tank I could have been running a close to PR. But It was Survival Mode.
Got to the Park and knew it was about a half mile to go. Saw the Wife and told her I was worn out and picked up pace to a fast shuffle for the final finish.
What would you do differently?:

My longest workout was a 2 hour run in January and the Last Chance marathon on the 31s of Dec. The lack of long run training bit me in the body. Heart and Lungs were fine.

Plus my weight was 218 on wakeup. I hate tapering. Also wonder how much of the fast early pace caused the body to wilt later? Kinda ran as I felt. Wasn't forcing the early pace...Which goes back to my workouts on the track. Run sub 9 pace in intervals without trying. But after 13 miles. The body starts to break down and revolt.
Post race
Warm down:

Got t-shirt and hobbled to truck and slowly got in. Drove home. Stiffly got of truck and got into house. Watched Daytona 500 after eating pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, lack of long distance runs in January and early February.

Event comments:

It's a barebone, no frills race, not for whimps. Limited water stations, no fans, small event, Shouldn't be first marathon for a runner.

Lost 3.5 pounds approx.

This is Boston certified course and it seemed to be fast. I just wasn't trained well for it. Could do a PR here I believe, if trained right and weather stays like it did. Cool, sunny, no wind.

Now to recover and start the training for Chuckanut 50k on March 15.

Last updated: 2008-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:26:59 | 26 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Average
No HRM and no mile indicators on the course. The aid/water stations were designated on the map as being some mile. but I forgot what they were. Never felt like I redlined on the HR. Never felt out of breath.
Course: Country roads. Two climbs, first being short and the second is good climb on Drayton road. http://www.gbrc.net/bbmarathon_map.html Some of the roadway was slick from frost.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-18 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Birch Bay Marathon

2008-02-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1218908

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-22 9:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Birch Bay Marathon

"Saw the Wifey and stopped an petted her and kissed the dogs." snicker' snicker'

Super job Spence! You make it sound like so much fun agony I can't wait to "join the club" and run a marathon this year.

Somehow, I don't think rinsing w/ salt water would do you any favors

2008-02-23 3:52 PM

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

Great job Spencer!

2008-02-26 8:38 AM

Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow Spence, that sounded like a tough one. Good for you for breaking though the mental part. No quit in you that's for sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Birch Bay Marathon Rss Feed