Outspokin
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 48s
Overall Rank = 29/272
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, took the usual supplements, protein shake, got dressed, and headed out the door. I expected about an hour drive down to Fort DeSoto. Pretty much hit that on the head.
Event warmup:

None really. Walked around a lot. When I got there, I met up with Jess. Terri and Pete were already there so when I got into transition I racked my bike and then went over to talk to Jess, Terri, and Pete. Chatted for a while and then I went back to the car to get my helmet, shoes, nutrition, etc. and get it all into the transition area. My rack was empty when I got there so I got an awesome rack position, right next to the aisle. Plus, the rack was only 4 away from the bike out/run out so I was really in great shape. I felt good. Even though I'd ridden 76 miles and ran 3 the day before, I felt strong and ready to have a good performance.
Run
  • 19m 4s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This one started off REALLY fast. I was running in the 5:50 pace range for the first half mile. It was incredible. After slowing a bit and settling into a pace, I decided to let the crazy people who were either REALLY fast or THOUGHT they were fast go ahead of me, I figured I'd see them later on. Passed mile one at 613, feeling decent. At the turnaround to head onto the sand trail, it got a little more difficult, but nothing crazy. Then suddenly I saw a mile 2 marker. I looked at my Garmin and I'd only gone .83 miles. I immediately got mad cuz I knew I couldn't count this run (or the next) as a 5K PR because it wouldn't be a 5K. Still I kept going, didn't get passed but wasn't passing anyone. I figured I was about 50th, but it turns out my rank here was exactly what it would end up being in the finish. Weird. Didn't know that til after though. Anyway, as we came around to mile 3, which was really 2.83 I passed two guys and headed toward the TA. As I crossed the mat, my Garmin bleeped 3 miles. Damn. No 5K PR for me. But definitely a big ol 3 mile race PR.
What would you do differently?:

Nothin'
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Simple easy fast. The way I like it.

Nothin'
Bike
  • 26m 11s
  • 9.25 miles
  • 21.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Evidence of my bike ride the day previous showed up here. I ranked 53rd in the bike portion, even though I didn't get passed by that many people, and I did manage to pass a good 10 other riders on the way. There was a really fast guy on the run that I noticed was on a mountain bike. He'd have been sick fast if he only had a tri or road bike. I kept up a decent pace but my leg fatigue kept me from really excelling here. As we left the parking lot, the wind was strong and stayed that way a while. As we traveled east, it became a crosswind and finally a tailwind. Then after the turnaround, a headwind again. But once again, since this road curves continually, the wind shifted and became a tailwind for a good 3 miles. I was able to keep up about 23 to 24 for those three miles. Granted, had I been better trained and not fatigued from the 76 miles the day before, I probably would have kept up 26 or so. Oh well. Still better than last year's 19.4mph average. As I rounded the last little turnaround loop and headed back towards the TA, the wind was blasting. It made it hard to stay above 19. But it was only a quarter mile and no one else caught up with me.

Train harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Even better than T1.

Nothin'
Run
  • 20m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was slower, but the run AFTER the bike is where I excel because most guys are now tired. Yes, I was tired, but being a long-distance runner I can keep up the pace a bit better. I passed one guy in transition, one guy on the way out of transition, and kept on the heels of a third...he was my rabbit for this run as he was running about 6:50 pace and I needed to stick that. I worked on him for a mile and a half until a girl came flying past me and I sped up to try to keep up with her. On the sand, some of the guys were fatiguing...I stayed with the fast girl and passed my rabbit. Suddenly my left calf started to cramp up. But I was only a mile from the finish so I just tried as hard as i could to ignore it. I slowed just a little but not enough to give up any spots. I was still running pretty fast (around 6:55 pace) and I passed three other guys running together. There were two more up ahead that I wanted to catch. One was, unbeknownst to me, the third in AG. We were in the last .25 miles of the race and I managed to pass one of the two, but it wasn't the one I wanted. After passing that guy, I sprinted to the finish. Upon crossing the line I almost threw up twice. But I was able to hold it off. I gained an overall spot with that last pass but unfortunately, the guy ahead of me (by 25 seconds) finished third in AG and I picked up 4th. But luckily I held out long enough to get 4th, because 5th was only 6 seconds behind me. Still, another great run, and I was very happy with the results.

Nothin'. I PR'ed this race by over 11 minutes. Last year I finished in 1:19:55, 5th in AG, and 60 something overall. This year at 1:08:48, 4th in AG, and 29th overall was definitely a great improvement for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Got water, found my friend Todd (a great sprinter...I can't beat him in a 5K, even at 19 minutes) who had dropped out due to a back problem, and chatted with him for a few. Then I found Terri, and we cheered Jess as she finished her first ever Duathlon. Then we all waited for Pete, got some food, and hung out for a while before Jess and I got our wetsuits on and went for a swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sand on runs, wind on bike.

Event comments:

I've never had a bad race here. Good organization, excellent sponsorship by Outspokin' bike shop, and pretty decent post-race stuff. Pizza, hot dogs, drinks, etc. Nothing outstanding, but decent stuff. I've done this one three years in a row now. I like this race, it's a great start to the multisport season.

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:04 | 03 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 29/272
Performance: Good
Course: 1.5 miles on pavement, 1.25 miles on hard packed sand trail, .25 miles on beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:26:11 | 9.25 miles | 21.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 53/272
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: One loop of the Fort DeSoto main road. Out from the parking lot, up to the east loop, back past the parking lot, around the north loop, and back to the parking lot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:14 | 03 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 23/272
Course: Same as the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-19 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Chilly Willy Duathlon

2008-02-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1219725

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Chilly Willy Duathlon
Yay. You rock. Oh, and I shouldn't have eaten that pizza.
2008-02-19 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Next on Q's race list...the sea of Galilee marathon, where the whole race is ran on top of the water...This would be a great race because he is a GOD!....   In all seriousness, great race for having run a 3:06 marathon the week before and having trained hard the day before.  I wish I could do this good fresh! 

Edited by runningwoof 2008-02-19 8:34 AM
2008-02-19 3:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-20 11:00 PM

Champion
MA

Improving 11 minutes in a race that only took you 79 last year is amazing

Neat how you can see where you are in the field and find the motivation and ability to catch the next guy and the next. I hope to get to that place some time in my running

Another super race..congrats~ 

2008-02-20 11:07 PM

Elite
Evergreen, CO

Nice job!!! 

Can you really name a race in Florida "Chilly"? 

2008-02-21 6:13 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race as always Jeff You are sooper fast!!! Congrats
2008-02-21 6:53 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Quick, look, did you see that...probably not, it was Q and he was so fast we missed him again...what an awesome performance just one week out from your awesome marathon!
2008-02-21 6:54 PM

DC
what a fantastic name for a race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Willy Duathlon Rss Feed