General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-21 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have

ok, so I was not nervous, until this week.

My first triathlon (the My First Tri division of Wildman sprint in Orlando that a bunch of BTers are doing) is in 24 days. I picked (and signed up for) this race LAST AUGUST when I decided to train for tris as it is early in the year and will still give me three months of training before the season up here starts. I thought cool I can see what really needs work (everything).

So here I have been training, working hard, and I am suddenly well REALLY nervous! My goals are not very lofty - make it through and hopefully don't fall off the bike!

The stupid question: do they provide the ankle strap thing for the timing chip or do I have to get one?

All of you veterans out there - what do you wish someone told you - either to get/bring or do before your first tri?

thanks in advance

Edited by drchaya 2008-02-21 4:04 PM

2008-02-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1226770

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have
They will provide a disposable plastic strap for the timing chip. Its like one of those carnival bracelets. They stay on really well, and have to be cut off at the end.

Drink a lot of water on the bike, it makes the run a lot easier and prevents cramping. Thats my advice.
2008-02-21 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City (Roeland Park)
Subject: RE: First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have
Yes, they provide timing chips for you. Some races allow you to use your own if you have one, but they all provide them to the rest of us.

I wish that someone had told me not to wear my watch at my first sprint tri. My goal was to finish in 1:30. I kept staring at my watch the whole race. I probably missed out on a lot of enjoyment while I was staring at my wrist. On the run, I kept staring at my watch and convinced myself that I couldn't finish in 1:30 so I let myself walk quite a bit of the run. I finished in 1:30:24. If I had left my watch in the car I would have enjoyed myself more and hit my goal.

Focus on why you decided to run tris. For me, it was to be healthy and outdoors and feeling good about myself. I get all of that from training. Race day is all icing. Take your time and have fun.
2008-02-21 4:23 PM

User image

Master

If it is an OW swim, and they have a special color swim cap for first timers.  Wear it.  I am sure you won't need it, but it kind of gives you peace of mind that safety observers may be paying special attention to you.  And, start at the back of your swim wave.

Practice setting up your transition area at home, and then putting everything on from the way you had it set up.  You will find some efficiencies.  Having said that, I wouldn't worry about my transition times, or any other times for that matter on your first Tri.

Good luck.  You'll do great!!

2008-02-21 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

they provide the ankle strap.

nervous is normal...and good!   a couple weeks before my first tri last year i started having nightmares about forgetting stuff.  in one dream i found myself at the start of the swim and everyone was in a kayak except me.  nobody told me to bring a freagin kayak!

needless to say i checked and rechecked my list many times and i don't think i forgot anything.

btw, you don't need a kayak.

good luck and have fun!

2008-02-21 4:26 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
The one thing I wish somebody had told me prior to my first tri last year is to have my bike checked out. My bike was 6 months old and the crank fell off becasue the nut became loose. Apparently, it is not very unusual ... I got a big fat DNF in my first Tri

Good luck

2008-02-21 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
The more nervous you are before the race, the bigger the smile you'll have after the race.

2008-02-21 4:34 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
drchaya - 2008-02-21 3:59 PM

All of you veterans out there - what do you wish someone told you - either to get/bring or do before your first tri?

Practice transitions under race-imulated conditions. Lay out your transition area the way you think it will work. Soak yourself down(in a kiddie pool or garden hose if need be) then run around the hous/block until you are winded but not dry. THEN put on your cycling equipment, practice your bike mount, cycle around the block, practice your dismount, then run around the house with your bike before simulating T2.

You might look stupid to your neighbors, but you'll learn a lot. I would have saved 90 seconds and a lot of frustration just by seeing how hard it is to put on a tri top after a swim. There were other revelations along the way.

2008-02-21 4:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Stay afloat and on 2 wheels. If you pee yourself no one will really care.
2008-02-21 4:39 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Bring a small hand towel to use in transition to clean off your feet if you don't like grass, rocks, mud, etc. on your feet... that will be put into socks. I hate when I have stuff stuck to my feet and I'm running on it.

If you don't want wet socks... go sockless for the bike portion. You won't get blisters from your cycling shoes. Put the socks on for the run.

GOOD LUCK!
2008-02-21 4:52 PM

Vancouver, BC
drchaya - 2008-02-21 1:59 PM

The stupid question: do they provide the ankle strap thing for the timing chip or do I have to get one?

thanks in advance

re: timing chip

First you bring your bike into the transition area and pick a spot to rack your bike. Generally, you can't pick any spot, there are different rows for different age groups and usually a special row for elites. So, know what rows are available to you. Make sure you remember where you racked your bike, pretty soon there will be 100s of other bikes, and you want to be sure you can find your bike coming out of the swim.

Once your bike is racked, go out of the transition area and stand in line (if there is a line) to register yourself as present. Here they'll give you your race package, which includes a bib number and stickers for your bike with the corresponding number. Next stand in another line to get marked (i.e. they draw your number on your body). You then put on your bib number and put the stickers on your bike. You won't be allowed to take your bike out of the transition area without your bib number. Also, registering is where you pick up your timing chip. This sequence will vary slightly, but that's pretty much how it goes.

re: advice

-A dry shirt takes forever to put on a wet body. I.e. don't try changing clothes after the swim.
-If you use a wetsuit, use Bodyglide or place large band-aids around your neck and collar to prevent chaffing.
-Practice bricks.
-Use some sort of lace system for your running shoes. I.e. don't waste time tying your shoelaces.
-Know the race course.

2008-02-21 4:56 PM

User image

Houston, TX

things i wish i was told.

1.  you don't need a tri-suit.  i'm sure i looked like a Fred all decked out in it walking part of the 5K.

2.  do bricks.  you have never felt anything like the heaviness you'll have in your legs after the 12 or 15 miles you are about to do.  you'll be excited and you'll go hard.  be ready for it.

3.  you don't need every gizmo on earth.  start with the bare minimal and add things you really can't do without.  bike, bike shoes, tri-shorts, sunglasses, helmet, water bottle, goggles, running shoes.  add from there.  i used to bring food, extra clothes, more water than i would ever need, all in a huge backpack.  i would never touch any of it.

4.  get yanks, the time you spend tying your shoes and retying them when they come undone can be the difference between 3rd and 6th.  do not try to put socks on, try running sockless in your runners.

5.  you don't need to wear socks on the bike, at all.  it will waste more time that you can imagine trying to put socks onto wet feet.  easy 30-40 seconds.  believe me, when you start looking at the results and how mere seconds separate you from others in your age group you'll be sorry for all the tiny ways you wasted time. 

6.  stuff your race belt into one of your shoes, that way you won't forget to put it on coming out of T2. 

7.  smile or get some otherwise acceptable look on your face whenever you see people with cameras.  when you get the race photos email with the link to all the ones of you you will realize that everyone can see your pictures.  you don't want to be looking goofy.  

8.  even if you walk half of the run it is acceptable to sprint in the finish, just make sure you start running before all the people can see you.  if they see you start running they will feel sorry for you and clap louder. 

9.   if you have perfected your flying dismount, make sure you get out of your shoes when your bike computer tells you there is only about a mile to go.  dismount lines have a tendency to sneak up on you and you don't want to waste all that practice jumping off the bike by still being in your shoes. 

10.  practice your flying dismount, being careful not to grab the brakes too hard, there is a tendancy to squeeze the front brake lever when you hit the ground and it'll flip the bike over.  i have seen this happen more than anything else at triathlons. 

11.  have fun!!!!

2008-02-21 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Lots of good replies already, but here's a couple for emphasis...

X2 to practicing your transitions. And visualize them leading up to the race. I'll even pantomime them quickly before the race as I visualize to start to work on building muscle memory...the less you have to stop and think about "what comes next" in transition, the better off you'll be.

If this isn't a pool swim, decide what you'll do about the grit/sand/muck on your feet in T1--some people use a water bottle to rinse, some bring a small basin or such...do you want to bring a hand towel or two just for that purpose? Lots of options, but remember that you'll need to deal with it.

(Edit to add: Be sure to consider the fact that, more often than not, you'll have a significant amount of ground to cover betw. the water and T1...worth acquainting yourself with the surface before the race.)

X2 to being sure you've done bricks of a suitable distance.

X2 to practicing your dismount. I got really cocky with my "flying" dismount in my second tri and managed to fall and break my wrist.

Get to know the course as best you can...if you can't get there in advance to ride and/or run, look at every map you can.

On the timing chip thing: They will provide a strap of some sort...different race timing systems provide different straps, actually. I think the plastic "hospital bracelet" type is the most common. I have a neoprene and velcro strap of my own that I bring to races (just in case), but they generally have a removal routine at the finish, so you don't want to screw with the volunteers' rhythm too much.

Good luck!

Edited by tcovert 2008-02-21 5:16 PM
2008-02-21 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Don't bother with bike gloves for a short ride.  Socks go on faster if they are rolled.  If there are (or might be) bib numbers, have a race belt (or fuel belt that the bib can attach to).  If you only need the number on for the run, you can slip the belt on while running rather than during transition.  Go with elastic laces for the running shoes, get used to them now.  If you haven't done any bricks, I'd recommend at least one each before the race of swim-bike and bike-run.  Oh yeah, somewhere in there have fun.
2008-02-21 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

x2 on do bike/run bricks.  Your legs will not feel like "your" legs until maybe a mile into the run (at least that's ho long it took mine to feel normal).

If you're using clipless pedals, running through transition in cleats can be difficult and slow and slippery (especially if transition is in a paved parking lot).

Good luck :-)

2008-02-21 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA

Cat, you'll be fine.  You've worked your butt off.  You'll be surprised at how easy it all is, how nice everyone is, and how great you feel afterwards.  A couple tips are below, they aren't technical because everyone already did that...

• Bring a camera and take a ton of pictures.  You'll want to remember this.
  • If you aren't trying to set any huge records start in the back of your swim wave.  That will cut down on the kicks to the nose.
  • Get there early.  You'll feel alot better walking around and setting your transition area up without any stress.
  • Talk to people.  They'll want to talk with you and get the nervous energy out.

2008-02-21 8:56 PM

User image

DC
I've done two tris and I think I'm bookmarking this forum.
Great list of hints from everyone!!
2008-02-21 9:15 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

oh wow these are GREAT!

I have been doing bike-run bricks - and am glad - will continue to....

the whole transition/dismount thing is next up on my list....I like the freak the neighbors out part - since they are all pretty old that will be fun!

just put my yankz in today and went for my first run in them - it is different for sure! too cold to try sockless though I do plan to be sockless for the tri....

bought the race belt but have not tried it on - that might be a plan eh?

and the tips about unmucking feet in t-1 are great - think the hotel will mind if I bring their towels :0

didn't even occur to me to bring a camera - but will throw it in!

so glad you all are here....and good to know the nervousness is a good thing - cuz I am!!!! 

2008-02-21 10:58 PM

Master
portland, or
They'll supply a strap. It will probably be a plastic one that needs to be cut off. Regardless, put a liberal amount of Body Glide (or similar product) on your ankle where the strap will go. The straps can chafe like hell.

Use Body Glide (or similar) liberally anywhere your wetsuit may rub (neck).

Get there early. You're going to be stressed. Don't add to it by being forced to hurry.

Get in the water early. Unless you're an experienced swimmer there's a chance you will find yourself hyperventilating at the start of the swim. Getting in the water early and warming up will help calm your nerves.........slightly.

Say thank you to as many volunteers as possible.

Have fun. It's what it's all about.

scott
2008-02-22 1:23 AM
in reply to: #1227574

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yes, (a repeat) - they give you a timing chip and a strap.

hmmm, about the advice.....  I felt I was pretty prepared.  I did lots of reading on BT, found a good checklist and transition diagram, checked my gear twice, then thrice.....

A mistake that I have made:  Make sure your bike is in a good gear.  Once in a race of mine, immediatly out of the transition area was a hill,  I was in WAY to big a gear and couldn't get the bike going.  Had to run up the hill till it got flat to get going....embarassing..

Here is one that wasn't mentioned yet (I don't think) To help with nerves, GET THERE EARLY!  

• You can get the "pick of the litter" when it comes to transition spots. 
  • You don't feel rushed
  • It's less crowded
  • You can go over your gear. 
  • Go over your transitions in your head.  Walk the transition area.  Invision leaving the water and running to your bike - It's good to see it the way you will in the race.  Figure out what side of the area you leave on the bike, and where you leave on the run.  I have seen many people running the wrong direction.  Just "visualize" the process several times.
  • Gives you time to go to the bathroom - trust me, there will be long lines
  • Gives you time to warm up properly
  • Time to fix problems (but you won't have any!)
  • Gives you more time to relish/enjoy the moment.  The feeling before a race is amazing - that this group of people are all together for this event.  You can almost TASTE the anticipation.  It really make me feel like a part of something special.  No other feeling like it.

Enjoy and have fun!  Take pictures!!!!!

2008-02-22 4:18 AM

User image

Johannesburg, South Africa
If its early season and the water temperature is very cold make sure you spend some time in the water before the swim. This will help to lower your core body temperature and prevent you from hyperventilating when you initially enter and swim the first few yards of the swim leg.

You will be slightly disorientated running into the transition area after the swim leg. Make sure you walk the route from the water to your bike before the race and identify and familiarise yourself with markers leading to your bike rack.

Stick with liquid gels rather than solid energy bars during the cycle leg. You will find that its awkward to chew, breathe and swallow at the same time.

Most important enjoy the race day and take friends and family members with to share in your triumph.

2008-02-22 5:31 AM

User image

Regular
Hawaii

Just remember the number one goal on your first triathlon - just have fun. You wont be first, you wont be last, just look around have fun and enjoy the race. You will make mistakes, just laugh them all, and keep a smile on your face. After that one, if you want to get competative, go for it!! But the first one should be fun and enjoyable.

2008-02-22 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
TRANSITION. I know from my first triathlon that the transition is not something you can overlook. I still consider myself a newbie so my advice may not help too much, but you should really practice both transitions at least a couple times. The things you nver think about trouble yo during the transition.

Edited by PSUguru 2008-02-22 6:04 AM
2008-02-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1227268

User image

Regular
rcberto - 2008-02-21 9:20 PM

Get there early.li>

This is the one I wish I would have been told! There is nothing like getting there early and people watching. Watch how others set up their transition area. Talk to other athletes there, let them know this is your first tri and see if they have any advice. 95% of triathletes are the greatest people I have ever met and most will be willing to help a newbie.
2008-02-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1227797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

x3 on the get there early.  It helps with the nerves, you can really soak up the enjoyment of the race, and you can get in the portapotty lines early and often!  There's been lots of great advice already, but here are a couple more things:

If you're nervous about the swim but a decent swimmer, start on the outside, rather than the rear.  It'll give you room to swim but won't put you behind a bunch of bodies.

Take your bike out for a spin after you get to transition.  Ask one of your transition neighbors if you can trade off warm ups/watching stuff, and do a few miles on your bike.  Make sure you leave it in an appropriate gear for starting the race - you don't want to have trouble on your mount out of T1 because you're pulling a hard gear.

If it's a sprint, don't futz around too much with nutrition.  All you need is your liquid of choice - you should have enough glycemic reserves to get you through.  I've seen people get so stressed out because they left their gel at T1, and it's really not a big deal.  If you are going to take nutrition, tape it to your bike stem with electrical tape and the tear started, it will be easy to grab while you're on the go and it's one less thing to forget.

Don't let anybody get you down.  In my last race last season, I got there early and got a great end spot on my rack.  I took a warm up spin and came back and somebody had shoved my stuff around and racked his bike in my spot.  I was a little irritated about it, and when the guy came back I struck up some conversation - it was his first race, and he was so nervous - he didn't realize what he'd done.  It really helped me to get some perspective and made me think about how my mental game is as important as all the other stuff we practice.  So race your own race. 

Have a great time, Cat!  It's really awesome, and you'll love it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have Rss Feed  

of 2