General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how do training plans differ for a 17 year old Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-25 5:09 PM

New user

Subject: how do training plans differ for a 17 year old
Hey, I'm a seventeen year old guy. I'm moderately active on a day to day basis, but I haven't played a sport or done focused physical training in over 4 years.

What I'm wondering is:

since I'm 17, can i push myself harder.

specifically:

can I run/bike/swim longer than the plan calls for.
can I run/bike/swim faster
can I workout at a higher heart rate, or higher rate of exertion
Am i more or less likely to see the benefits of supplements like protein powder
What else can I do differently because I'm seventeen?

Thanks,
Stephen

2008-02-25 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1234784

Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: how do training plans differ for a 17 year old
Buy a heart rate monitor and take a technical approach to training. That is, learn proper technique for all 3 disciplines.

Join a club, get coaching, determine what training methods work best for you. Use the web as a research tool, take everything with a grain of salt.

re:pushing hard
Training isn't about pushing yourself hard. The cumulative effects of training over a long period of time out weight any particular training session. Find a routine you can handle comfortably over a long period of time without over-training or burning out.

re: nutrition
Protein powder is OK as long as it's part of a balanced diet.
2008-02-25 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
The best part of being 17 years old is that in 6 years of steady training you will be very strong and still only 23.

As for the other things? You may recover quicker then people twice(or more) your age, but for the most part it's all the same.
2008-02-25 6:39 PM

Regular
I'm 20 and the only difference I've found is that i recover from workouts more quickly (and w/ less pain) than older triathletes.
2008-02-25 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
I think Joe Friel talks about this in one or more of his books. I've read in his book and elsewhere, that when you're in your teens, it's time to work on speed, not distance. i.e. don't go sign up for an IM or even a 1/2. There's plenty of time for that later, for right now I'd focus on sprints, oly's, 5K's and 10K's. There's a reason that the best marathoners (for the most part) are in their late 20's and into their 30's. Most took the standard progression from shorter track distances in high school and college and then began to up their mileage and race distance after that.

Ultimately, I would look for a better source of advice than a website that mostly caters to adult-onset runners and triathletes.

And I have to disagree with a previous poster, don't worry about heart rate, don't get obsessed with the details, etc. There's also plenty of time for that later.
2008-02-25 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1234912

User image

Champion
Butler

doublej - 2008-02-25 6:49 PM I think Joe Friel talks about this in one or more of his books. I've read in his book and elsewhere, that when you're in your teens, it's time to work on speed, not distance. i.e. don't go sign up for an IM or even a 1/2. There's plenty of time for that later, for right now I'd focus on sprints, oly's, 5K's and 10K's. There's a reason that the best marathoners (for the most part) are in their late 20's and into their 30's. Most took the standard progression from shorter track distances in high school and college and then began to up their mileage and race distance after that. Ultimately, I would look for a better source of advice than a website that mostly caters to adult-onset runners and triathletes. And I have to disagree with a previous poster, don't worry about heart rate, don't get obsessed with the details, etc. There's also plenty of time for that later.
X2.  Do shorter races but that does not mean you will necessarily train less if you want to be good.  I am sure if you look at the top triatheletes in IM and oly they train close to the same # of hours a week just doing different things.  AGers you will definately see a diference though.

The good thing about being young and going far though is you have noone to answer to.  When you get older/married you might get a nagging SO who wants you at home all the time.  If you meet someone while training at least you have the "well I have always done this" going for you.

Edited by kproudfoot 2008-02-25 8:30 PM

2008-02-25 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1234912

Vancouver, BC
> And I have to disagree with a previous poster, don't worry about heart rate,

How long should he wait? Until he's 20? 25? 30? And why would HR data be too much information for a 17 year old to handle? Maybe he should stop reading books too, and just be a carefree teenager. Oh wait a sec, he posted a question on BT, so he is obviously interested in getting some good advice. I'm sure he wasn't looking for "just be a teenager" condescending advice. The more you know about how your body works and how hard it's working the better you can train properly, at any age.
2008-02-25 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
At your age make it fun, or expect to not do it long. I was an extremely active teenager, football, baseball, golf, wrestling, running, yada yada. I attempted to get into long distance running because I was always good at anything I did, I tried to get good at something I didn't yet really like to do, so I dropped it and stayed with football and wrestling.

You can get as technical as you want, but I would say put that off for now, and coaching for that matter, until you truly enjoy it. Once you enjoy it, then dive head first and show us your sponsors.

Also to the original question, your recovery should be pretty fast compared to older folks. If you start the journey now to a long career in endurance sports your health will thank you, and who knows, we may be buying wheaties boxes with your mug on them.

Good luck
2008-02-26 5:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
I'm in your boat too - I am only 16. You should never follow a training plan religously because you are bound to make some changes. If one day you have more time and feel like you can fit 20 extra minutes in your run, there's nothing wrong with that if it is in moderation. I take calcium supplements, but that is only because I don't drink milk. The biggest thing is managing your time in the summer and working around a job you may have. Also stay healthy - don't overtrain because it is the summer and there isn't school to occupy you during the day.

Oh yeah and all your lady-friends will gawk at your completely toned legs from all the running and biking, too!

Best of luck!

Edited by PSUguru 2008-02-26 5:41 AM
2008-02-26 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1235292

User image

Veteran
meepx2 - 2008-02-26 12:12 AM

> And I have to disagree with a previous poster, don't worry about heart rate,

How long should he wait? Until he's 20? 25? 30? And why would HR data be too much information for a 17 year old to handle? Maybe he should stop reading books too, and just be a carefree teenager. Oh wait a sec, he posted a question on BT, so he is obviously interested in getting some good advice. I'm sure he wasn't looking for "just be a teenager" condescending advice. The more you know about how your body works and how hard it's working the better you can train properly, at any age.

Wow, that seems like a pretty emotional response just because I disagreed with you. I personally think heart rate training is overrated, especially for the age group athlete. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of teenage runners and swimmers (not as many cyclists around) do not train by heart rate, but instead learn to run and swim by pace and perceived exertion. Most of them still do just fine and progress very nicely.

And I don't really think my advice was condescending at all. It's my honest opinion based on 6-7 years of experience in endurance athletics with pretty good results and good improvement over that time period. I'm a big believer in learning to listen to your body and train based on perceived exertion.
2008-02-26 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

You can I train longer and faster, at a higher heart rate, or higher rate of exertion if you want.  You can do all this but you would do yourself more constructive good if you got a coach to structure your training or, failing that, join a tri club.  Do join a master swim class, at the very least.  Of the 3 disciplines, swimming is the most technical.

Supplements?  You are 17 years old, just eat a proper nutritious diet and you will not need supplements.   

What else can you do differently because you are seventeen?  Set yourself some short term goals, stay away from drugs and booze, train smart and gets lots of sleep.

Edited by Machiavelo 2008-02-26 8:11 AM

2008-02-26 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
I'm 17, I don't think I can train more because I'm younger. Faster?? I don't think most plans call for a specific speed. I'm not fast, yet . What specifically are you training for? I train hard, but have a ton of fun. If you're not having fun, why do it. Good luck!!!

Edited by gymgirlx 2008-02-26 8:14 AM
2008-02-26 8:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
the shorter races is where you will shine. I have done a few sprints and you know who wins them all?? the Younger guys. I just cant compete with a kid running 5:50 miles. You usually dont peak until your late 20s or 30's for IM distance from what I have seen.

Keep it fun and win some shorter races
2008-02-26 3:46 PM

New user

wow thanks!

when i got back on to log todays workout i thought i'd have one, maybe two responses to my question, but no, i was floored to see that probably 10 people took the time to respond in less than 24 hours, thats awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how do training plans differ for a 17 year old Rss Feed