General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Women's Tri Short Advice! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-01 10:21 PM

Subject: Need Women's Tri Short Advice!
Last year I did two sprints in compression shorts and a cotton wicking tank. I'm ready to step it up and I've decided to get a 2-pc. trisuit. Here's the issue-- there's no stores in my area that have tri clothes (NE Ohio) so if I order, I am trying to do it right the first time. I have a 28 inch waist and 43 inch hips. Do I order according to the waist, and hope the hip part is stretchy enough? Do I order according to the hip, and hope the waist doesn't sag?

I looked at some Zoots, which seem to be popular on this board, but somewhere else I read that they don't have hip room. Then I read that 2XU shorts have a lot of leg room, which is good because I get "sausage thigh" very easily. Then I looked at the Shebeest SSS, and Pearl Izumis, and this process has overwhelmed me into not buying anything!

Any advice for a girl with a ridiculous waist-to-hip ratio? I'd like a 6-8 inch inseam, the longer the better.

Thanks so much! It's really helpful to know that I'm not the only person on the course who isn't a stick insect!

2008-03-02 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1246462

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Need Women's Tri Short Advice!
I usually buy them to fit my hips because they have drawstrings in the waist.  You should be able to get the waist tight enough with that.
2008-03-02 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Well... I am a true pair so I hear you on the waist and hip issues. My vote is for the zoot tri short... I believe it came in a 8 or 9 inch length. It is comfy and roomy enough yet didn't sag at the waist. All that being said I didn't have as much luck with their tops... too fitted for my comfort (yes I am very curvy). I am probably getting the tri top that Junonia just came out with but not their shorts as they have a 5 inch inseam... which is too short for my taste.

Trial and error. I head Danskin has some great tri outfits for women too.

Let us know what ends up working for you.
Elizabeth
2008-03-02 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My suggestion is to call tri-sports and ask to talk to a women who knows the clothing well. They steered me right many times.

Shebeest SSS are bike shorts. I use and love them to ride and do bricks, but I wouldn't recommend swimming in them or do tris

Oomph shorts may work as they are tight in the waist for most folks. I have a bigger waist then you and the XL fits me and they are nice compression which helps avoid wiggles and jiggles. They run longer to which I like the fit in my thighs.

If you get a brand that has power in the name or in the fabric name they tend to be more compression which I would highly recommend.

Desoto I would guess wouldn't work for you. I have L and they are a tad tight in the thighs. They don't make XL. Nice thing is no gripper in the bottom of the legs.

Other suggestion I have is to order a few different ones and try them all on and send some back. I ordered probably 10 different pieces from Tri-sports and found which fit best and look best and returned the rest. 

2008-04-19 3:56 PM

An update. . .I decided to go with the Zoot TriFit 8 inch inseam shorts and a 21 inch tank style top (in "wasabi," which I think is lime green). I saw the little pathetic patch of fleece that they were calling a cycling short pad and laughed (nervously). I slathered some Assos chamois creme on it and myself, and had the most comfortable 15 mile ride ever!

So, in conclusion. . . love them! Am a little bummed that the logo-things are already coming off, but hey -- if that's the biggest complaint, that's pretty great. I purchased from bikesomewhere.com.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Women's Tri Short Advice! Rss Feed