SCOR Cardiac Cyclists Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 49m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

First time doing the century. My family does it every year so I decided to join them. Drove into Solvang at 3AM and checked into the host hotel. Got 2 hours of sleep, woke up and ate the breakfast of champions: a ding dong, powdered donut, vanilla ensure, and a cup of coffee. Checked-in at 6AM, went back and pumped my tires, checked out my bike, and put on my race number, and met my 2 cousins at 7:15AM to start.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 6h 49m
  • 100 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I never did the ride but it was pretty fun this first time. The views are stunning and Solvang is beautiful. I even got to see an ostrich farm with alot of ostrichs out walking around, as I rode by. This course was pretty hilly and I didn't train on hills and it showed. Walked up one of the hills (the one before the 95 mile stop), and suffered at a measly 2-3mph on most of them.

I can't really complain since I only paid $65 for the ride (as opposed to $485 for an IM) but I thought the aid stations were not that great. Maybe that's how all centuries are but I was thinking they would pass gatorade bottles and gels and power bars out as I passed the aid stations. I had to actually get off and fill my own bottles. HA!

At times, the roads sucked too. Toward the end, maybe the last 40 miles or so, the roads are in terrible shape. My hands and arms are still sore from all the vibration.

Oh, and I learned alot out there. Those roadies and bike clubs have all these hand signals and they can draft well. My cousins kept jumping on the end of the pace lines and told me to get on. So, I try my best to get on (and no, I was not in my aero bars), look down at the bike computer or to my left or ride to look at the view, look forward, and dang it, I'm 2 meters from my cousin. Just those 2 meters, I could not close the gap. Happened like 10 times so I gave up. Of course, my 2 cousins came in before me.
What would you do differently?:

Even though it's a century, I should have prepared more. I should have trained hills, but also, check my equipment. My bike shorts had 2 holes in it, I had to carry regular shorts just in case it would have ripped more. I had to use duct tape to try to prevent it.

Also, not sure if it was caused before, or all the vibrations from the course, but half way through the ride, I noticed my headset was starting to vibrate badly. I have to bring it into the shop now.

Oh, and prepare for a century like a century instead of a tri or im. Next time, I'll probably wear a camel bak, also wear bike gloves to help with the vibration (I don't wear it for tri), and maybe wear bike shorts instead of tri shorts. Also, my seat was so jacked forward that I had a hard time climbing. Should have pushed it back and rode slack.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Nothing against Solvang but the food sucks there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No hill training. and need to prepare for what the ride is, a century, not a triathlon.

Event comments:

I had fun.

Last updated: 2008-03-09 12:00 AM
Biking
06:49:00 | 100 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Solvang Century & Half Century

2008-03-09 11:55 PM
in reply to: #1261596

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: Solvang Century & Half Century

Oh yeah, I forgot about the ostrich farm -- wasn't that a weird sight?  Thought I had eaten a bad Gu or something...

Anyway, huge grats on finishing the 100 miles!  That's very, very impressive.  My brother and I both commented on how we were seriously glad we weren't doing the full century, given that howling wind.  And the full had 5000 feet of hill climbing, which was more than double what we had to deal with.  Way to go.

I agree that the roads were in pretty bad shape in many places.  My wrists are still sore from the pounding.  And ditto on the SAG stops -- pretty lacking, IMHO.  But still I'm glad we did it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solvang Century & Half Century Rss Feed