Annapolis Striders
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 59s
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

I'd been sick for a week, n bed for half of that, had not eaten well the whole time and had lost about 7 pounds. No glycogen stored and still had a cough and congestion.

Got up at 6, took the dog out, grabbed my bag and drove to the race site. Picked up my registration packet and the vest they gave us as schwag for entering.
Event warmup:

Sat and wondered if I should even try to run some or just go home since I'd gotten the vest I paid for with the entry. I figured what the hell, it was worth a shot just to see if I could even hold my projected pace so I toed the line.
Run
  • 1h 18m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into the race having spent the last 11 weeks preparing myself to run a sub 3 hour marathon. But I got the flu and a cold at the same time a week out from the race and spent most of the week in bed and with a fever. Come race day I still had a cough and congestion but figured I'd worked hard to get to this point so I may as well see what I could do.

Lined up near the front, gun goes off and I try to settle into my projected pace of 6:50 splits. First mile was a 6:35, second was a 6:4X, third was a 6:5X, fourth was a 7:0X, fifth was another 6:5X. It was at that point I knew it wasn't happening. I was struggling to hold my pace, my HR was close to 180 which is right at my LT and there was no way in hell I could sustain that for another 21.2 miles. So I stopped racing there.

Turned around, jogged easy the way back to the start/finish and cheered on some friends running the half. Picked up my stuff, went off to work to make up some time that I missed during the week.
What would you do differently?:

Not be bed ridden and sick??
Post race
Warm down:

The 5 miles back was a warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick, no glycogen stores.

Event comments:

Great race when it comes to the level of competition and the post race grub. Just had one of those weeks that ruined my chances of having a good run.

The kicker in this whole thing??? If I had been able to run my projected time I would have been 3rd or 4th overall in the marathon ...... oh well.

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:18:59 | 10 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance: Bad
For the 5 miles I actually raced my HR was in the 178 - 180 range. Too high for a marathon effort.
Course: Out and back on a paved rail trail. One real hill around mile 7, the rest basically flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-03-10 10:25 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: B&A Trail Marathon

2008-03-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1262769

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Marathon
The journey is the reward my friend.  You put in a lot of hard work that won't go to waste down the road.  Hope you get 'em at Boston!

Edited by davealt 2008-03-10 6:51 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » B&A Trail Marathon Rss Feed