Vantage Multisports
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 40s
Overall Rank = 68/83
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:40 to get cup of coffee before I had to get gang moving. Ate some yogurt and loaded everyone and everything up. Made it to race site early enough to figure out it was cold and windy. Went back to RV to get jerseys in case we needed them on the bike. Had plenty of time to set up transition. Bike in and out was poorly marked. Could not see mount or dismount lines. A little nervous about the course.
Event warmup:

Tested bike and gears seemed to be working. Georgeous pool for the swim. Got in and swam a little. Would have liked to just spend the day there. Took some gel. Got marked, my chip and lined up for the start. They pulled Murray (12 y/o) and a couple of other small kids up front to start before the adults. Made him a little nervous, but he did well. 50 meter lanes are long for a 12 y/o. I was glad when he exited the pool.
Swim
  • 11m 58s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt OK, until about 100 meters, and then wanted to reconsider the whole thing. Had a moment of panic, but just kept swimming. Got passed a lot by guys behind me. I would stop at the end and flag them by. One went right over the top of me, while I was next to the rope in a 6 ft wide lane. Figure that! Like, did he just want to crawl over a lady's arse in the swim??? Anyway, I just kept my pace and finished 2 seconds ahead of my predicted pace.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe estimate my swim time longer than predicted to keep from getting crawled over by strange men.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

No issues. Went smoothly

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 32s
  • 11 miles
  • 15.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of transition well. Couldn't see the bike mount line. Yelled at a volunteer to make sure I was clear and got an OK. Had a tailwind on the way out, so could kick back, relax, and let my heart rate come down a little. Passed a couple of people, but I was so far back in the pack, there were few racers. Tried to keep cadence 90-100 and spin. Did a lot of gear changing as the wind shifted. Course had several turns, which I think I cornered pretty well. This tri was really a brick workout to try to stay aerobic during bike and save my sugar for the run. Think I did OK, and could hold this pace for a longer distance race. Drank Perpetuem on the bike, and had no nutrition issues.

Nothing. Kept my pace and met my goal for this race. Proved to myself that I could spin a bike and hold a decent pace without burning my legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Couldn't see dismount line. Guy ahead of me just rode his bike into transition. Sat down at transition and got changed quickly. No problems

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with fuelbelt and water and Perpetuem. Nice to be able to avoid the water stations. Used the 1:1, walk:run pattern all the way and was OK. Got comfortable about mile 2. Feel like I could have gone farther if I had to. Ashley and Elise met me in the final stretch and ran in with me. Really fun time in the end. Finished with a smile. Will post pics when ready.

Nothing. My race pace is steadily improving as I continue to train. What more could I ask for?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 200-300 yds to get my recovery bottle and walked back. Good warm-down. Ate some vanilla creme cookies. Amazing how they tasted good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I'm truly seeing the benefit of slow, endurance training. I'm encouraged to bike with low HR, and high cadence, and to run within my aerobic zone. I could have gone faster and pushed on this race, but I think I learned how to pace for longer distances and that's my goal.

Event comments:

I got second in my age group! (OK, there were only 2 racing.). And I won a bottle of Hammergel as a door prize! Really great local race. The volunteers were the sweetest. This would be an awesome race for beginners or an early-season warm-up. Race packet came with large, lucious beach towel, imprinted with a race checklist, a visor, and goodies from Hammer nutrition. Three photographers were on site and got some great pics. Will post later.

Last updated: 2007-11-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:58 | 437 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter indoor pool. Staggered start according to predicted 400 meter time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:32 | 11 miles | 15.52 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back flat course with several turns. Went through a nostalgic garden-home neighborhood. Very clean streets and yards. Wind gusting up to around 20 mph?? Tailwind going out and headwind returning.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:39 | 03.1 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Course: Beautiful run through ULM campus, crossing bayou twice. Very good volunteer support all the way. Really great course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes