General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie, kinda scared of the swim! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-24 11:36 AM

Subject: newbie, kinda scared of the swim!
hey everybody!

i'm 2 years out of my college track and field career, and as you can imagine, i got the itch to compete. i decided to check out triathlon and see if i'd like it. so i'm looking at doing one at the end of may that's a 200m swim, 8mi bike, and 2mi run. i'm nervous about the swim because it's in open water. i'm not much of a swimmer. the website describes the lake as "shallow," whatever that means--it's all relative.

my husband is supporting me big time in this, and i'm so excited about that! he's bought me goggles and a book, and he checks up on my workouts. he's the greatest

anyway, i'm working on the swim, but i don't want to get there on race day and freak out! help!

2008-03-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1289595

User image

Veteran
HTFU, Virginia
Subject: RE: newbie, kinda scared of the swim!
Welcome!

I'm still training for my first tri too, in early May, and the swim is still my weakest spot. But the people here have been great, they have experience and sound advice. And a good sense of humor, I think.

2008-03-24 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
JCochran - 2008-03-24 9:36 AM
anyway, i'm working on the swim, but i don't want to get there on race day and freak out! help!

Join the club In my first open water swim last year, I freaked after 50 meters and had to get pulled out of the water.

The best way to get comfortable is to practice. If possible, join a local tri-club or master's swim team. The coaching really helps to both improve form, and to get you comfortable in the water.

If you are doing an open water swim, try to get some time in the open water. After 5 months of pool work, I just went back into the SF Bay on Sunday. Open water swimming is different, but nothing that a few laps won't get you comfortable with.

Best of luck. Coming off a track and field career, you only need to have a decent swim, and you'll do great.
2008-03-24 12:29 PM

thanks guys!

i had a dream last night that i folded and decided not to do the race. how crazy is that? don't they have buoys and boards out there to hang on to to catch your breath if necessary?
2008-03-24 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
The swim was my weakest area, add to that the scary factor of open water and you've got problems. Ive' really had to work on this area. As others have said, get out and practice in the open water. Never have your first race be the first time you are in open water. Also, don't go out to fast. Its easy to get caught up in the excitement of the start and go out way to fast, then suddenly you are gasping for air and thats when you freak. Happened to me in Lake Michigan at the Chicago Tri. Had to hang on to the wall for a few minutes to regulate my breathing. Make a conscious effort to go out steady and even. It may seem like you are going very slowly at first, but in the end you will have a better swim.
2008-03-24 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
Concern over the swim it common place among intelligent people. Open water swimming is dangerous but isn't as dangerous as riding in heavy traffic.

There is likely only one way to moderate your concern over open water swimming and that is to carefully and gradually familiarize yourself with open water swimming a little at a time in a safe environment.

It's tough to just jump in and swim open water in a race because you have a lot of factors on race day such as the mass swim starts (even in a small wave of 30-40 athletes), the normal pre race nerves, etc. It's best to address the issue of concern over the swim by itself prior to race day in a more leisurely, controlled environment if you can. Go to a beach or open water swim area and do a 100-500 yard swim parallel to the beach with someone walking along the beach watching you. If you do a few of those you will begin to feel better about the open water.

Comfort in the water takes time and it does come. It is important to always maintain respect for the water, but it is also important to develop a reasonable comfort and confidence level.

2008-03-24 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Welcome,

A year ago I couldn't go 25 yards before stopping in the pool and now I can do 1500 yards easy. A 200 yard OWS should take some getting used to but you'll do great with a little training. Also, most venues have kayaks or support craft that you can hold onto if you get tired, from the sounds of it you may be able to stand up to take a break. I've heard of people who have walked the entire swim portion of a shallow lake but it is still much faster to swim.
2008-03-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1289743

User image

Expert
JCochran - 2008-03-24 10:29 AM

thanks guys!

i had a dream last night that i folded and decided not to do the race. how crazy is that? don't they have buoys and boards out there to hang on to to catch your breath if necessary?

Many races have rules that you can hang onto objects such as buoys and boards to catch your breath, as long as you don't use the object to make any forward progress, but you have to check the specific rules for the race that you're in.

What race are you looking to start with?

Edited by bhoover10001 2008-03-24 1:40 PM
2008-03-24 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
If your used to competing then the swim won't be as difficult as you think.. It's just another thing for you to learn and improve at..   You will be out of the water pretty quickly anyway... just remember people are there to watch over you, start out close to the kayak's and if your really nervous they have a portable inflatable device that you can put in a tri shirt pocket.. trust me, the swim gets everyone at first but once the gun goes off your competitive side is going to take over
2008-03-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1290370

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

There's always duathlons 

Not all of us here do tri's.

2008-03-24 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
It is normal to worry about the swim. It is normal to be freaked on race day waiting for the swim to start.

Tom said it best. Practice swimming. Then practice swimming in open water near shore where you are just a stroke or two from being able to stand up. Then Practice 200 meters of that.

This is something that EVERY triathlete goes through, who did not have have a strong swimming background before taking up this sport.

You CAN do this.

Best wishes.

Cash

2008-03-24 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV

Welcome!

I am just getting over my anxiety about swimming- after 8 years of doing triathlons!  In my first triathlon I came in 4th in the swim- from last!!!

Just relax, and enjoy the experience.   It'll be great!!!

Good luck!!!

2008-03-24 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Go and check out the route. When I did my first Try-A-Tri last year, the "shallow" route was only waist deep. People dolphined the entire route.
2008-03-25 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1289743

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

JCochran - 2008-03-24 10:29 AM thanks guys! i had a dream last night that i folded and decided not to do the race. how crazy is that? don't they have buoys and boards out there to hang on to to catch your breath if necessary?

yes they do...and lots of them...but still be careful. Make sure to do like Brian (bhoover) says and get some practice in....will build your confidence...plus you will see that wetsuits often help with buoyancy.....good luck....masters swim team is another good option...lots of great help within the class as well as the coach. Have fun! and do not fold!!

2008-03-25 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Practice in open water is the best!.  However, make sure always have a buddy or two along with you.  My wife and I practice in Lake Erie open water and try to get time in all sorts of conditions.  We also always make sure one of us is in a small boat along side of the other during the practice just in case of problems.  I will guarantee that the first time you get into open water you will totally freak, this is natural and you are weird if you don't.  I have been swimming in pools competitively for years and still get the urge to freak when I hit the open water for the first time each year.  Another helper is a good wet suit and a life vest.  I always take a couple of vests on the chase boat to help swimmers into the open water for the first time and a good wet suit will help you float as well.  If you feel like you are in trouble just flip over on your back, this also helps and with a wet suit on floating on your back you will feel very secure.  After your hear rate drops you can flip back over and start swimming again.

Hope I helped you more then scare you, it really is not bad after your first couple of times.

2008-03-25 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Or better yet, run the Windsor Tri. You can walk it!!! And I'm not kidding.  

Anyway, Glad to hear your husband is all about the tri, and the track background should serve you well. You'll be amazing.

2008-03-26 2:45 PM

thanks so much everybody for the encouragement! i feel so much better about it.

the one i'm doing is called "soak up the sun." it's in mississippi. this is the first time they're doing it in open water instead of a pool, i think.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie, kinda scared of the swim! Rss Feed