General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Biker/mechanic crash Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-25 4:07 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Local Biker/mechanic crash
Here is a snippet from an email that I received from Kevin @ Tribe. Gerald is a really good guy that I end up riding with pretty much everytime I do a Tribe related ride and I consider him a friend. He has given some biking tips that have helped me as well. He crashed broke his thumb and his back. See below for more:

Last Saturday, Gerald Kirkpatrick crashed on a bike ride. He was with a small group and no one else was involved. He simply hit a seam in the cement and it “grabbed” his front wheel and then was thrown to the ground. It was truly a freak accident. He broke his thumb and back. The doctors discussed some options with his back and thankfully, after 3 days in the hospital, he is going to be on light duty for quite some time with a brace. Patrick Quigley of Team Vitesse was with him when he crashed and followed him through the process of getting to the hospital and getting Gerald’s family notified of the situation. If that wasn’t enough, Patrick and Team Vitesse called me to let me know that they want to help out Gerald financially through this mess. They are emptying their team fund to make this happen. Thank you Team Vitesse for your group’s generosity and proactive lead in helping someone in need.

In the past, Tribe has headed up campaigns to aid local triathletes when they are in time of need. We pooled together funds to send 2 athletes to the Best in the US triathlon when they simply could not afford to go, we helped another triathlete when she was in the grips of losing her home who in turn re-donated the funds to our junior development program when she was back on track. We helped out the Gages’ benefit when George and Jane were clobbered by a car. Being that Gerald doesn’t have insurance I think that this is a worthy and proper time to help out yet another fellow triathlete, cyclist, and family member of Tribe during their time of need. I am personally matching the Vitesse donation and will be buying Gerald’s groceries while he is down. If you would like to help out, anonymous or not, simply drop off or mail a check payable to Gerald Kirkpatrick or stop into Tribe and apply a payment to his account. Any and all funds paid to Gerald’s account will go directly to him to help offset the mounting and ridiculous medical bills he will be/is incurring. Thank you, in advance, for your generosity and any help that you can provide.

Kevin Weitzel @ Tribe Multisport

P.S. I purposely didn’t include Gerald in this email as I didn’t want him to feel awkward or like a charity case.

Edited by chile7473 2008-03-25 4:07 PM

2008-03-25 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1293011

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Local Biker/mechanic crash
Is Gerald the one with the dogs? What does he look like? I really love all the people at Tribe, this is terrible to hear. So glad that he will be okay though. Wow, scary!

Andy - if you add the address to Tribe (or where to mail donations) I am sure BTers will help out a local cyclist in need!

Edited by sportyj 2008-03-25 4:18 PM
2008-03-25 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1293042

User image

Mesa
Gerald is the one with the two white boxers... cracker and I can't remember the other one's name. He is tall, has a little bit of weight on him... big side burns.

TRIBE Multisport 1800 N Scottsdale Road - Suite 5, Scottsdale, AZ 85257

I am probably going to stop by with a 20 spot and a 6 pack of PBR for him.
2008-03-25 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1293136

User image

Expert
Arizona
chile7473 - 2008-03-25 2:55 PM
I am probably going to stop by with a 20 spot and a 6 pack of PBR for him.

Wouldn't he prefer beer?

On maybe the third or fourth time I was at Tribe, he was working on my bike, and we talked. He gave me a lot of good advice (about swimming) without be condescending. I think he's probably the best triathlon-salesman (i.e. helps customers get sold on triathlon) there.

I'm going to try to stop by next week.

-Jot
2008-03-25 6:34 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Terrible news...Gerald and I swam together way back in the day and he's the one that built my bike...I swing by and drop off something.
2008-03-25 6:45 PM

User image

Master

...and a 6 pack of PBR for him.

Sheesh! We know its the thought that counts, but dang Andy! Give it SOME thought. 

What a terrible, freak accident. I've never met him, but I'll stop by Tribe and add to the til.  

2008-03-25 11:17 PM
in reply to: #1293277

User image

Mesa
cordova61 - 2008-03-25 4:45 PM

...and a 6 pack of PBR for him.

Sheesh! We know its the thought that counts, but dang Andy! Give it SOME thought. 

What a terrible, freak accident. I've never met him, but I'll stop by Tribe and add to the til.  

They didn't have PBR at the Safeway... Sam Adams Light it turned out to be. He always wears his PBR jersey when riding. Also put a coke and snickers bar in there since he always says "all you need is a snickers and a coke to bring you home." That is around 60-70 miles into a ride.

2008-03-26 1:20 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
CRACKER AND POWDER!!!!

I love him (and his awesome dogs!) He is always SO COOL. I would bring Caboose in and he would play with her too. Damn that sucks SO BAD for him. I will definitely be helping out, wonder if he needs help caring for the pups?

Is he expected to make a full recovery?
2008-03-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1293969

User image

Mesa
sportyj - 2008-03-25 11:20 PM

CRACKER AND POWDER!!!!

I love him (and his awesome dogs!) He is always SO COOL. I would bring Caboose in and he would play with her too. Damn that sucks SO BAD for him. I will definitely be helping out, wonder if he needs help caring for the pups?

Is he expected to make a full recovery?

He will recover but he won't get to do IMAZ. His girlfriend, Angie, is probably helping take care of him and the dogs. Kevin said last night that he would probably be over her place as he was going to take the beer, coke, and snickers right over to him.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Biker/mechanic crash Rss Feed