Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-29 7:21 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand

A little bacground:  MY youngest daughter (age 7) has alwyas had a slight lack of self-confidence.  We are constantly having to talk her into doing things, and she always complains that she is "not very good at it."

This past year, she started taking tumbling...and she LOVES it.  She is very limber, seems to be pretty natural as far as the skills are concerned, and genuinely enjpys it.  So...when the gym where she takes her classes announced that they are having tryouts this weekend for the cheerleading squads, she came to us and begged to try out.  This is the first time she has wanted to do something without us dragging her into it.  Now, on to the bad part....

We went to the mandatory parent meeting last night (tryouts are today and tomorrow) and this is where I learned that if your kiddo makes a squad, they practice three days a week, and the financial commitment is......$3,000 per year.  WHAT?  For a SEVEN-YEAR-OLD?

I realize you can't put a price on self-confidence and happiness, but wow.  If any of you folks have kids doing this, please make me feel better about the "investment" side of this deal.  I want my daughter to be happy and to succeed, but I am running numbers through my head and realizing how much of a financial head start she could have for college if all that money was being put into mutual funds instead. 

2008-03-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1301217

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand

We had kinda the same experience, my 5 year old came to us and wanted to do cheerleading with her friends.  My wife and I went down to watch one of their practices, and we were shocked!!!!

Now I'm no prude...but the cheers/dances they were teaching these 5,6 and 7 year old girls were wicked inappropriate, in my opininion.  WAYYYYYYY TOOOOOOO much butt and hip shaking in an outwardly suggestive manner.  All the other "cheer parents" seemed to think it was cute that their little girls were out there shaking their hips and butts like they were 18.   My wife and I were appauled.  Maybe I'm overly sensitive to the sexualization of children becuase of my job, but both my wife and I decided "NO way, not for our daughter"

We told her nope we didn't want her to do cheerleading.   She was P.O'ed to say the least, but I don't know...it was creepy and just wrong what they were having these little girls do as "cheers"

2008-03-29 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

My daughter has a friend who is wayyyy into this...... 3-4x practices and almost weekly weekend trips.  I saw a video of her competition once... WAY TOO MUCH HIP/BUTT SHAKING.  I am so glad that Alyssa has zero interest in cheerleading. 

I asked the mother about it - her response was "This is Texas, what do you expect?"  Not sure what to think of that response....

2008-03-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1301261

Champion
South Jersey

There was an article in TIME magazine about two years ago about cheerleading...maybe you can find it. It might give you some insight to the sport.

What does the money go toward? Are there fundraising opportunities?

2008-03-29 9:08 AM

Champion

The secretary in our office has a daughter who is into cheerleading.  I don't know much about the details, cost, time, etc. except for what I hear her constantly griping about.  She is forever doing fund raising by selling cookies, candy, and other assorted "junk", she brings her daughter to practice anywhere from 3-5 days per week.  The team qualified for some sort of cheerleading championships in Florida, so of course they had to go which meant more money, more fund raising, more griping.  I think the girls grades have suffered from all the work involved in doing this.

I am not a big proponent of team sports and activities.  Neither of my sons ever felt the need to play team sports like Little League baseball or Pop Warner football.  My youngest son tried street hockey for two seasons and ended up dropping out when he didn't like all the heavy structure and discipline, like the coach who seemed like a frustrated drill sargent.  There's no need of that when kids are 8 years old.

2008-03-29 9:17 AM

User image

Buttercup

Last night I watched my nephews perform for their tae kwon do belt tests. I commented to my sister that TKD seemed to be a very good sport for boys and girls in that it stresses discipline and instills self-confidence in the kids. The mix was maybe 60/40 boys/girls. The girls kicked butt - out of 4 testing for their purple belts, 3 were girls (LITTLE girls). The only one testing for the black belt was a young teen girl (looked pre-teen).

They tumble in TKD, too. And they have snazzy, non-sexualized uniforms and gear. Maybe you could try to steer your daughter in that direction or something similar?

My father had 5 daughters. He told us that he and my mom would support us in any sport we wanted, but we would not be allowed to become cheer-ers for someone else performing a sport.

I understand that you want your daughter to have self-confidence, but do you want the source to be from her appearance and hip shaking ability? Seems cheerleading places great emphasis on appearance (a sexualized appearance at that) - like a modern day beauty pageant. No disrespect to our fine former cheerleaders on here.

Edited by Renee 2008-03-29 9:18 AM

2008-03-29 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

$3000???  Does this include all of the "extras" and road trips or does it start at $3000 and quickly climb to $5000-6000?  As other's have said, is this really the culture that you want for your daughter?  (Talk to a few families whose daughters are doing this, and talk to a family or two whose daughter has done this for 3 or more years.  Are they the role models you want for your daughter?

I feel bad (a little) telling our scouting parents that a year in scouting costs about $400.  The good news (for us) is that the scouts have several opportunities to raise money for their scout accounts to help defray these costs. 

I'd spend $3000 elsewhere, but the decision is really up to you. 

2008-03-29 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I have watched the cheer squad for our local high school work out while my girls were working out in their gymnastics class. What I saw for two hours was a group of young ladies that were working their butts off. They were in constant motion the whole time I was there and were still working when we left. Their coaches were demanding perfection and taking time to pull anyone aside to work one on one when they didn't do it right. It appeared to be a highly competitive and demanding sport, both physically and mentally. I can see the benefit and downside to having a child on the team.

Both of my daughters have been in gymnastics and competed locally on the teams. As they were getting older ( 8 and 6) the time and money to compete went up, way up. we took them off the teams and placed them in a once a week class. The biggest factor for us was the time involved. They were practicing 3-4 times a week and practices were 2 to 3 hours a session. weekend rolls around and there was usually a meet on Saturday. We felt our girls were not getting enough "kid time" to just play and enjoy their friends in the neighborhood. If you wish to enroll your children in one of these programs be ready for a big time and money commitment. Three grand is upfront, but get ready to pay for tons of extra thing and it will likely double when you factor in gas and personal coaching sessions.

The upside is it will make your kids physically tough and help them develop a real good work ethic when it comes to physical efforts.  

2008-03-29 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, if you are OK with the culture of cheerleading... are you OK with the money for it? I guess that's the real question.

Honestly... we can all talk about different aspects of cheerleading... but let's face it, the cheerleaders in any school are always the most popular and loved... and that's kind of appealing for any kid and some parents (who want their kids to be socially accepted and liked).

Anyways... maybe that was a tangent?

Can you afford the $3,000+ it's going to cost for her to be in cheerleading? If not, then sit her down and tell her in the truth in the way she can understand it.

I know when I was 10 years old my Mom got pregnant with my little sister. I was going to gymnastics and I loved it. I was trying to make team so I could compete.

Unfortunately, she couldn't have a second kid AND leave me in gymnastics. So she sat me down and told me the facts... she couldn't afford it. Yes, I was heartbroken and to this day I wonder if I could have been good at it... but I also moved on to other interests that were equally challenging and didn't cost as much.

If you can't afford it... you can't afford it. And it's OK for kids to understand that things cost money and sometimes a family can't afford things.

2008-03-29 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
It sounds about right, really. We are currently paying about the same amount per daughter for the swim teams that they belong in.

Any kid club sports, including cheerleading, is requires a pretty sizable investment both in money and in volunteer time.
2008-03-30 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Depending on the type of cheering/competition involved, you might also want to check into the safety aspects. I've seen several articles/tv shows about the risk of injury in today's cheerleading. As teams keep trying to one up each other at competitions, they keep coming up with new and inventive ways to throw teammates into the air, pyramid, tumble, etc that involve significant risk.

2008-03-30 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1301938

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
bhoover10001 - 2008-03-29 10:45 PM

It sounds about right, really. We are currently paying about the same amount per daughter for the swim teams that they belong in.

$3k is a bit much for a 7 year old swimmer... more like a 14-15 year old swimmer, but $3k is 'ok' if that includes everything.

As for whether you could be spending that money in mutual funds... well let me say that my parents were fortunate enough to put me through swimming throughout my youth, and it really changed my character and allowed me to survive in university. I think I'd be better off with an activity to call my own during my youth than an illustrious university degree.

As for the promiscuity of cheerleading and deciding whether to tell your daughter 'no'... I'll just say I'm glad I am not in your shoes (one day I will be, but not right now).
2008-03-31 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
FL

No way, I am spending 3k on a 7 year old for any type of sports and likely not anything else either.

Especially when this is something that will likely fade away at some point.  Think about what other things you spend 3k on in a year. 

With that said, I spend about $1200 a year on piano lessons for my 7 year old son.  Two points:  One, that is just about a 1/3rd of the 3k in comparison, 2nd once he learns piano, he can enjoy it till the day he dies.

2008-03-31 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

One question I have is how much do you spend on Tri'ing?  Is your problem ithat this is cheerleading and not some other sport or the $$ to have your daughter have a hobby?  I personally think $3K for a 7yr old hobby is expensive but I spend money on myself so if my son should get on some form of competative team that requires $$ I will find a way to make it work, but hopefully this is not until 12 or 13.  Plus as others have said is this the total $$ or the initial outlay.  Remember if they travel and you go with them you need hotels and food, etc. 

2008-03-31 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Thanks for all the input folks; it is appreciated.  The news today is....

..she made the team, so I am on the hook for the cash. 

I did find out that the $3k is "all inclusive" for the year.  It pays for tumbling class once a week (1.5 hours) , squad practices/lessons twice a week (3 hours total), uniforms including shoes, team warm-ups, all competition entry fees for the year, hotel for the competition in San Antonio,  a two day retreat, the year-end banquet, and health insurance for any accidents or injuries that occur while at the gym or any competition.  There is no additional fundraising so we won't have to bother people for sponsorships or sell anything. 

All in all, it is still a lot of cash, but it seems like we do get a lot as part of the deal, and she is so excited that she can't stop talking about it; this will likely make it all worthwhile...we'll see.

2008-03-31 4:23 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2008-03-31 7:33 PM

Los Angeles, CA
My sister was a cheerleader from 5th grade all the way through high school. She's now an RN, but also the cheerleading "coach" or sponsor at her local high school, and her daughter is a cheerleader. I ran cross-country most of high school, a sport that did not have cheerleaders. I played freshman basketball, but didn't like the coaches so I opted out of b-ball and stayed with cross country and track. I always gave my sis a real hard time about cheerleading back in the day because I thought it was pointless and ridiculous, yet as I sat on the bench, I watched the cheerleaders constantly, pretending to watch the game.

My conclusion as a 46-year-old is that cheerleaders are always the hottest girls in the school because they serve as implied sexual incentive for the boys on the team to win. They are eye candy, and impressing the most desirable women with sports prowess is a manipulative tool to get the team to win. They are displayed as the suggested prize to the best players. This seems pretty obvious to me now. Every time I was on the floor in my brief basketball career, I was hoping to impress the cheerleaders. Our school had a cheerleading squad for every team, Freshman, Junior Varsity, and Varsity, and there were only 500 kids in the whole school. If you were on a team, there were scantily clad attractive girls shaking, jiggling, dancing, bouncing and flouncing to motivate you. No one cared about cross country because you're out running on the hillsides. If it was a sport with bleachers, there were young girls on display. I'm sure the adult males in the bleachers appreciated it, and were to be impressed to attend as well. We couldn't wait for the moves that required their skirts to go flying up and we were unabashed about it. I don't care what anyone lets their daughter participate in, but displays of sexually suggestive movements while clad in short and/or tight clothing are cheerleading's raison d'etre. Any rhetoric about it being an athletic competition espoused to the participants is diversionary to take their minds off what they are doing, like telling strippers that their dancing is artistic. It may even be artistic to an extent, but we know why they are on that pole. Cheerleaders are cheesecake whether they know it or not, or whether they want it or not. Some squads mix men into them as further diversion, "look we're not objectifying these girls, we've got guys out here." Except no one is looking at the guys except as a guilt-relief mechanism.
2008-03-31 8:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Spokes 2008-03-31 8:22 PM
2008-03-31 8:45 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Scone & Spokes,

I think you are confused.  This is NOT cheering for sports teams, and is NOT a "sexual incentive for the boys to win."  They ar enowhere near football games, basketball games, etc.  They are either in a cheer gym working out and taking tumbling lessons, or at a cheerleading competition competing against other girls...like a gymnastics meet.  In fact, from what we've been told, most of these girls do not cheer at school because they don't like the exact stereotypes that you guys are displaying.  They stick to competitve cheer and stay away from cheering for sports.

2008-03-31 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1306588

2008-03-31 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1306607

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Lara - 2008-03-31 9:50 PM
OldAg92 - 2008-03-31 6:45 PM

Scone & Spokes,

I think you are confused. This is NOT cheering for sports teams, and is NOT a "sexual incentive for the boys to win." They ar enowhere near football games, basketball games, etc. They are either in a cheer gym working out and taking tumbling lessons, or at a cheerleading competition competing against other girls...like a gymnastics meet. In fact, from what we've been told, most of these girls do not cheer at school because they don't like the exact stereotypes that you guys are displaying. They stick to competitve cheer and stay away from cheering for sports.

Eh.. I don't know how to say this without sounding weird.. But I'm curious

What would be the point of Competitive Cheer if you AREN'T going to be cheering for a team? Why not join a Gymnastics, Dance or hybrid competitive leauge?

yeah, X2.

I don't get what they are cheering for, in that case.

Do high schools have "cheering" squads that don't actually cheer at the games?  There is one at the game, and one in competitions? 

2008-03-31 9:10 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas

That's just it...this is not a school activity or affiliated with school at all.  It is a private gym.  It is exactly what you suggested, Lara; gymnastics, dance, & cheer.  From what I understand, most of the cheer gyms have dance teams as well, and the way we found out about the tryouts was because my daughter was taking gymnastics lessons at this same gym (which also offers competitive dance teams). 

As far as whether it is a sport, I can't answer that for certain, but from what I understand, the ONLY way to make one of the top tier teams (which my daughter obviously did not since she is just a beginner) is to have a very solid gymnastics background; you can't even qualify for the top level cheer teams wihtout significant gymnastics ability.

To say "Why do this if you aren't going to cheer for your school" is like saying "Why play golf on the weekends if you aren't going to try out for the school golf team?" or "Why take gymnastics if you aren't going to try out for the high school gymnastics team." 

Competitive cheerleading and school cheerleading  are two completely different activities; ar at least that is how it has been expalined to me.

2008-03-31 9:14 PM

Expert

No. High school cheer squads do cheer at games. That is their sole purpose. But you won't find any (or at least very very few) high school squads at competitive events.

Competitive cheerleading is very different. Just like you have gymnastics competitions, competitive cheerleading competitions are the same thing only combine it with dance and make a team sport out of it.

Edit - Yes OldAg, they are as different as night and day.   

Edited by TexOma 2008-03-31 9:15 PM
2008-03-31 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1306696

2008-03-31 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1306696

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Rss Feed  

of 2