Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 10s
Overall Rank = 1050/1958
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 168/265
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15, banana, granola bar, oj, and coffee at 4:30 (2.5 hours before race start). Got to race and transition setup plenty early. Got transition mostly setup, then dropped into the bathroom line. I spent *forever* in line for the bathroom. I didn't realize that there were toilets reserved for the racers already in the swim chute. Had I known this, I would have finished my transition setup, put my wetsuit on half way, and proceeded to the swim staging.
Event warmup:

None, unless you count running down the swim chute and pushing my way through throngs of triathletes gathering for later waves.
Swim
  • 33m 22s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

What can I say? I missed my wave start, though not by much. I was about half way between the water entry point and the group already staged for the deep water start when the horn sounded. As noted before, I got caught in a long bathroom line (like 30 minutes long) but I had to take care of business.

Making matters a little tougher, I had surgery on my back a bit over three weeks before the race. I honestly wasn't supposed to be out there. But I had my wife tape up the incision and decided to do an easy paced swim with both arms to just get through to the bike. I'm glad I chose not to do a one-armed swim, because that would have been very tough out there in the harbor.

I wasn't counting on being late for the start, so it was a mad rush through throngs of later waves just to get to the entry point. My goggles never ended up sealing properly, and my right eye leaked the entire swim. I also swallowed half of the harbor shortly after entering the water. Oops.
What would you do differently?:

Now I know the layout and would just use the toilets available in the chute to the swim entry. I got to the transition plenty early, just the way things go. This was only my second race, so transition setup will probably improve by the next race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 43s
Comments:

Wow, since I hadn't fully completed my transition setup, transitions ended up being a disaster for me. I was one of the first people back to the rack from the swim. I watched several come and go while I tried to get it together and head out. Finally I just went. Here came my next blunder -- I headed out on the bike without food.

I need to buy a bento box and get that stocked and on the bike the night before.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Going out without food was a big woops. But I figured that I'd hang in there until the first aid station and get a couple gels. Then I discovered that my bike computer wasn't working, so I didn't know my speed nor distance. They did have signs every five miles, but this was the first time I'd been on a big-race course, so when I made a turn and encountered an aid station I didn't realize that it was an aid station. Soooo, I didn't toss my bottle before the station, and I grabbed a water with nowhere to put it. Then I rode past the guy handing out gels and didn't have a free hand to take one. Smart. I guess I could have just stopped, but I rode on to the next station at just before 30 miles. I was a little smarter the next time, ditched my empty bottle before, got a new one, and grabbed a couple gels.

The ride went fine through the flat portion, and I was strong on the hills. I was mostly holding my own except against the mongo fast riders that would blow by occasionally. Then at about 45 miles, my knee that I had injured back two months earlier began to hurt. I instinctively backed off the pace, and from the point on the riders just streamed by me. Nothing I could do, every time I picked it up my knee started hurting. I probably could have finished ten minutes faster had I not slowed over the last 10-12 miles. Overall I was pleased with the ride given the circumstances.

I will never take cycling gloves to a race again. I need to get a bento box. I should have done more training rides that were the full distance of the race.
Transition 2
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

My second transition was also slow, but I did make a bathroom stop in there.

I need to practice transitions. I just didn't practice them, because I was pretty uncertain that I would even do this race.
Run
  • 2h 20m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, where do I start. Running is my weakest event. Making it much worse was the fact that I'd injured my knee a little over two months out from the race, and that ended my running training at that point. So with my knee starting to hurt late on the bike, I knew this was going to be a real trial to get through.

That said, I just set a slow and steady pace, and I decided early to walk the aid stations. After about three or four aid stations, I began doing a one-minute walk between them, too.

It helped that my wife was there to cheer me on along the course. She was a big boost, and the people along the course were absolutely beautiful. The only time I even entertained the thought of throwing in the towel, I looked down and saw that someone had scrawled "HTFU" on the pavement. That just made me laugh, and I doubled my resolve to push to the end.

I couldn't do anything any better given my injury and training issues. I was thrilled to get through the run at any pace and finish the race. I score the run as good, because this took way more mental fortitude than any run I have ever done when healthy. It was also five miles longer than my longest training run ever.
Post race
Warm down:

For a warm down, I walked around while eating slice after slice of pizza. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury, surgery.

Event comments:

This was my first HIM, and I will always remember this race favorably. I hope to do more HIMs and improve my performance, but I will always think back to how I overcame the training setbacks, injury and health issues just to get the starting line. Finishing was the gravy.

I can't begin to express my thanks and gratitude to all the BTers who provided advice and support in the many months leading up to this event.

Last updated: 2007-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:22 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/265
Overall: 448/1958
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Oceanside harbor, out and back in calm ocean.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:00:32 | 56 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 132/265
Overall: 732/1958
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: First 25 miles was relatively flat and wind-free. Then about 20 miles of hills and winds followed by flat/descent with stronger headwinds. This was a pretty ride and a fairly challenging one, too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:20:38 | 13.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 208/265
Overall: 1467/1958
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops out and back, pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2008-03-30 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1303573

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
Congrats on your first...and strong performances on all three segments! Thanks for the RR!
2008-03-30 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
2008-03-30 10:44 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Congrats, you overcame allot of stuff,allot, that in itself is very respectable! Great race!
2008-03-30 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Great job and congrats on your first HIM, David! I was out on the course as volunteer. Since I was on the "hot corner" covering both the bike and run portions, I'm sure I saw you at some point.
2008-03-30 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1303912

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Excellent job on the race.  It is a shame that you ran into some challenges, but it looks like you did an excellent job adapting.

Keep it on keeping on. 

2008-03-31 12:59 AM
in reply to: #1303937

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Wow, awesome job on your first HIM!  And this was just your second triathlon?  Wow!

Sounds like you really rocked it, despite having just had surgery *and* a recent knee injury!

Way to go!

2008-03-31 1:01 AM

User image

Melon Presser

David, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST HIM!!!!!

I am so glad you decided to do this race anyway (although I still think you're crazy ). You put in a tremendous showing despite injuries, late start, no food on bike ... you rock!

That's so funny, I also saw the HTFU on the ground.

2008-03-31 2:08 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
David, you did a great job.  You overcame a few setbacks before and during the race and learned a lot in your first HIM.  That'll all go towards making you better and faster in your next one. Congrats.
2008-03-31 2:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-01 10:38 PM

Master
Newbury Park, CA

First half, huh?  You did pretty good especially being all banged up.  I have done this race three times and I didn't know until just now there were port-a-potties in the swim line - go figure.

I was racked on the aisle, I think the first number on the rack was 598 so we must have been in separate rows.

Now that you did your first - what's your second????

2008-04-07 11:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
way to push through the pain, thats what its all about. i was suppose to go down to the race but lets just say i missed it by a day. glad you went out there and did your thing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed