General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cutting back on lifting... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-02 7:34 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Cutting back on lifting...
I currently am lifting (light) 3 days a week. I was thinking about cutting it back to one day a week to concentrate more on my running and swimming. Is cutting back to one day a week worth my time? Will there be results at this rate?

2008-04-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1310069

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Cutting back on lifting...

Without knowing what your goals are, that is a tough question. After a year of tri training, I am doing just the opposite. For me (and maybe just me because I am a bigger guy), I have gained weight from strictly cardio workouts. I need the resistance training to keep my metabolism up and burning calories all day! So, if you are looking to SBR faster, then SBR more. If you want to lose weight, don't cut out the wieght workouts.

just my .02

2008-04-02 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Well as far as my goals go, I don't really have anything that is set in stone. It sounds noobish but I have been only tri training for a month. I have been lifting heavy for years so I suppose my only real goals are to tone and get my strength and endurance in my muscles up. I'm doing 2 sets of 15-20 with lighter weight. (Along with all of my other training of course) I don't know if that helps at all...

Thanks so much for any and all input!
2008-04-02 7:57 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I believe there's a big difference between focused triathlon training and training that just has triathlon as a part of it.

If you're looking for overall fitness, continue the lifting. This will depend on the amount of time you have to devote to training and what your triathlon goals are. If you are focused on racing and want to start doing well in your age group, it may be appropriate to focus on the three facets of triathlon.

Seeing as I don't really know you, this is all guess work. Fact is, three days a week is not that much and should be able to be maintained while doing your other workouts.

Good luck with it.
2008-04-02 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Very true. Thanks guys.
2008-04-02 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Yes yes I know I'm a broken record.  But...CrossFit will bring up strength, endurance, and power, and it doesn't take long.  Plus, it's different so it isn't boring.  AND...the best part is, it can compliment tri training. 

2008-04-02 10:59 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

I've you are going to go to one day a week, don't do the sissy weights with high reps.  Go really heavy with low reps (like 8) and hit the whole body.  

2008-04-02 12:38 PM

I agree w/ Spiderman. If you are gonna lift, then lift. I know not all triathletes like to lift &/or think lifting is important, but if you are going to lift then make it worthwhile. I prefer total body workouts w/ heavy weights & low reps (2-8) although when I throw in a Crossfit workout they sometime include those crazy 21 rep workouts.
2008-04-02 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
wow. well i always learned/thought/was told that higher weight and lower reps resulted in bulk and i just figured that is something that us as triathletes didnt want or need. do you guyts see the same bulking results?
2008-04-02 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1312114

User image

Expert
Think about the gym you lift at. Most of those guys want to get big, but how many really are? If it was that easy to be big, a lot more people would be. Keep your diet in check and lift for the strength.  Crossfit is awesome, but us fattys have some trouble with all those pullups!!!
2008-04-02 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
yah, it does have all to do with the diet and whatever bloating supplements are taken. cool guys, thanks for the input. i was just all over the place with this one! thanks again!

2008-04-02 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1312114

Elite
Denver, Colorado

goknights1 - 2008-04-02 7:06 PM wow. well i always learned/thought/was told that higher weight and lower reps resulted in bulk and i just figured that is something that us as triathletes didnt want or need. do you guyts see the same bulking results?

Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm in the middle of this really strict diet, but man do I get tired of these weight lifting myths. And it's not your fault - you obviously heard it from someone who heard it from someone, who didn't know what the heck they were talking about. Here's the scoop:

To gain mass/bulk, you need a high volume of training plus surplus calories. Now, how much surplus calories to take in is up for debate. In the past, bodybuilders would eat anything that wasn't nailed down, gain a ton of fat along with the muscle, then try to cut down for a contest. These days, the prevailing wisdom is against such massive eating due to the fat gain. Still, it's hard to gain lots of muscle when your caloric intake is around maintenance. Building muscle also requires recovery. You don't build muscle in the gym; you build muscle when you rest. And the more exercise you do, the harder it is for your body to recover. If I put you on a high volume bodybuilding program along with same volume of tri training that you're doing now, I would bet big money on the fact that not only would you not get "all bulky," you would actually lose muscle mass! How can that be? Because lifting weights tears down the muscle tissue, which is then rebuilt bigger and stronger during recovery. If you're constantly exercising, your body literally can't "keep up" with the muscle damage and the result is an actual loss of muscle tissue. So much for lifting heavy makes you bulky. On a side note, if I put you on steroids, that changes everything, but we won't go there.

As for your question, if you want to maintain your strength levels and the muscle mass that you have, lifting once a week will do that. But that's all it will do. The HIT Jedis notwithstanding, lifting once a week is not enough volume to stimulate muscle growth.

2008-04-02 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1312386

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
MikeTheBear - 2008-04-02 8:47 PM

As for your question, if you want to maintain your strength levels and the muscle mass that you have, lifting once a week will do that. But that's all it will do. The HIT Jedis notwithstanding, lifting once a week is not enough volume to stimulate muscle growth.

I had a pretty successful winter of overeating and lifting 2x a week.   I gained about 8lbs of muscle and 4 lbs of fat, according to my calipers and scale.  Cardio volume was fairly low (2-2.5 hours a week).  I did the same lifting workout every time.  I did 1 set of 8-10 per muscle group and an additional set of pullups and pushups to failure.   Soreness was horrible for first 2 weeks, but then it wasn't enough interfere with tri training at after that. 

I do have the body type to pack on muscle and fat at will (Getting it back off is another story).  I am 215 and 18% BF right now, so no fitness model for sure. 

2008-04-02 11:46 PM
in reply to: #1312418

Elite
Denver, Colorado
tkbslc - 2008-04-02 10:07 PM
MikeTheBear - 2008-04-02 8:47 PM

I had a pretty successful winter of overeating and lifting 2x a week.   I gained about 8lbs of muscle and 4 lbs of fat, according to my calipers and scale.  Cardio volume was fairly low (2-2.5 hours a week).  I did the same lifting workout every time.  I did 1 set of 8-10 per muscle group and an additional set of pullups and pushups to failure.   Soreness was horrible for first 2 weeks, but then it wasn't enough interfere with tri training at after that. 

I do have the body type to pack on muscle and fat at will (Getting it back off is another story).  I am 215 and 18% BF right now, so no fitness model for sure. 

I would say that 2x a week is fairly low volume for gaining BUT I don't know what you were doing for those two days AND body type does make a huge difference. I'm like you - I put it on easy but taking it off is near impossible. Most people on weight lifting forums avoid cardio like the plague because it will zap all of your muscle gains and you'll waste away to nothing. Not a problem with me. And even if that happens, "lost" strength is much easier to regain, especially for guys like us. I had to lay off lifting heavy for most of last year because of my back, but this year I'm better and although I'm not yet lifting as much as I was, I'm able to pile on more plates each workout. It's kind of nice.

2008-04-05 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Hertfordshire, England

Just out of curiosity, as cardio increases, it becomes harder to put on, or maintain muscle size with strength training due to the extra calories needed, as I understand it. Does this go for strength as well? ie. 1RM strength? As muscle size does not directly relate to strength (correct me if I'm wrong)

Just throwing this out there, as you seem fairly knowledgeable, MiketheBear, or anyone else who knows??

2008-04-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1317620

Elite
Denver, Colorado
dmorgan_jazz9 - 2008-04-05 10:40 AM

Just out of curiosity, as cardio increases, it becomes harder to put on, or maintain muscle size with strength training due to the extra calories needed, as I understand it. Does this go for strength as well? ie. 1RM strength? As muscle size does not directly relate to strength (correct me if I'm wrong)  

You are 100% correct - there are lots of "skinny strong" guys out there. Strength is as much, if not more, about the nervous system being able to recruit all of your muscle fibers as it is about muscle size. Basically, the average person sitting on the couch can only recruit a certain percentage of his or her muscle fibers. Put that person on a a weight training program and their nervous system will become more efficient and be able to recruit more fibers. Hence, the person will become stronger without actually putting on any muscle mass. Pretty cool. Pavel Tsatsouline wrote extensively about this in "Power to the People." A decent book but pricey. Worthwhile to borrow a copy, though if you can.

Can you gain strength while doing endurance work? I would say a cautious yes but you need to be diligent about it. Doing strength and endurance places somewhat conflicting demands on the body. Endurance work requires a very low level of force production, hence, no reason for your nervous system to recruit lots of muscle fibers. Actually, your fast-twitch fibers aren't recruited at all, unless you like to sprint to the finish. When you do strength work, your asking your body to turn on lots of muscle fibers.  Tsatsouline's "Power to the People" outlines a program for "strength without size" that may work for an endurance athlete who wants to maintain or even gain strength. You focus on only two exercises, you do only 2 sets of 5 reps, but you do this almost every day. It sounds like daily training is a lot of work, but not really based on this system. It's designed to keep you feeling "fresh" and to train your body to get the proper feel of the movement which, in turn, leads to that neurological efficiency that I talked about.

2008-04-14 6:29 PM

User image

in my quest to become an ironman i have cut back the weights from 4 days a week to 2, and actually seen my 1rm rise, despite the fact that i run 15 milers and cycle centurys.
most of us who have been into the weights for years have been lifting to much, and the swicth to more tri related training has done wounders for my bench max.

i no longer deadlift or squat as i am 68 days away from my ironman, and to be honest, when i return to these lifts, im sure i will be fresher and soon return to form.

if you just wand to to tris for fun, lift away, but if your looking to go to kona thats a different story.

2008-04-14 6:29 PM

User image

a cut back can be a good thing.
2008-04-14 7:55 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I'm with my boy Q. I think functional movement training rocks for endurance prep. You'll get good balance, continue gains, and it takes no time. I often run to the gym, do crossfit, and run home. Well, I hobble home because I'm totally smoked. It's great stuff.
2008-04-15 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I'm doing low reps/high weights with lots of functional exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, bodweight exercises) and core work. It's really helping me build muscle endurance. 

I'm planning on switching to Simplefit and core work for maintenance when my training volume starts to peak. I think that I'll give Crossfit a go after tri season.

2008-07-06 12:06 PM

Veteran
I dont understand...high weight low reps is better?  why?  ive been doing 25 reps of 70 lbs 5 times for 1 legged squats.    Is this wrong?  Rest of the week I bike, run, and do 1 brick on wednesday.  my 1 day in the weight room consists of 25 rep / 5 set exercises  4 different workouts.  Is this wrong??  should i change to 10 rep / 5 set of max weight?  once a week?

Edited by benc84 2008-07-06 12:07 PM

2008-08-16 1:41 PM

Veteran
i keep coming back to this thread, once again ive changed my strength training, once a  week now but its so much better, medicine ball + high reps rocks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cutting back on lifting... Rss Feed