General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on top of foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-21 12:04 AM

Subject: Pain on top of foot
I've just done Taupo half and 3 days later have just started to get a wicked pain on the top of my foot (actually both feet). I can hardly walk. It feels like it might be the tendon that runs from big toe to shin, but may be deeper. Any thoughts anyone?

2004-12-21 12:12 AM
in reply to: #94710

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Pain on top of foot
I'm sorry Kate, but what's Taupo half?

questions i'd ask you is if you've ever done this before... like was it your first time trying this for of exercise [?], and if it was... was it intensive?
If it was your first time doing an intensive exercise, perhaps it's muscular/tendonal.

on the flip side... it could be much worst... perhaps you accidentally dislocated one of the many tiny bones you have up there.

it's hard to say not really understanding what Taupo is.

Have you been icing and taking ibuprofen? have you ever injured this area before this?

lots of luck and if it doesn't start to feel better in the next couple of days, go get x-rays.
2004-12-21 2:32 AM
in reply to: #94713

Half Ironman in Taupo, New Zealand. First time at this distance. I'm elevating, icing at the moment.
2004-12-27 11:12 PM

User image

Tucson, AZ
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same thing happen to me after a long hike. It took forever to go away. I never found out what it was. I should have gone to the doctor, but I just figured it would go away. It finally did after about two months. I think it might have been a stress fracture.
2004-12-28 5:31 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
kate, i suffer from achilles tendonitis, and while the source of the problem comes from the tendon, the pain i get is on the top of my feet, and is most noticeable when walking, running, etc, or any time that pressure is put on and then released from the foot area (as in walking, etc. or simply crossing and uncrossing your legs) If your foot hurts to touch, then this most likely isn't the problem, as I seem to get sensitivity on my achilles tendon. Just a thought if you are still at a loss as to what the problem might be.
2004-12-28 10:06 PM

User image

Elite

If one of the bones in your foot  is really tender to the touch, it might be a stress fracture.  It is hard to see on an xray because instead of a single clear fracture, they are frequently many small fractures.  Bummer of an injury.  It takes a long time to heal.   Rest and ice are the right treatments. 

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on top of foot Rss Feed