General Discussion Race Reports! » Woolmarket Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Woolmarket Biathlon - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Woolmarket (near Gulfport), Mississippi
United States
Gulf Coast Running Club
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 59h 21m
Overall Rank = 31/80
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Weather forecast was miserable but I really wanted a warm up race before mullet man, so I made the call last night that I was going. Marcy had to work but Dave and his 11 year old daughter Margaret said they would go if the weather was okay.

Got up at 4 and weather was okay. Picked up Dave and Margaret and drove over. No rain until we were 10 minutes from the race site. We pulled in and it was torrential rain and lightening. Registered anyway and it cleared about 7:50. They delayed the start 30 minutes and it was fine for the race. Almost perfect.

Event warmup:

4 minute jog with dave.
Run
  • 26m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started next to Julie and ended up pacing off her the whole race. That was nice of her and she helped keep me focused. I was only off my pr by 5 seconds. I was thrilled with that as this course is much more challenging than the course I set my last 2 PR's on. That saod, I did PR this course in 2005. I think I was probably 45 on the run. I was 52 at the turn and no one passed me which is exceptional for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I was whipped pretty good by pressing the run at the end, but okay with this time and execution.
Bike
  • 32m 22s
  • 10.25 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, I had a tough day on the bike. Worst on a bike in a long time. Started out down the hill zooming and making great time for the first couple miles. Just before the first turn, I slammed into a pothole and it actually knocked my back skewer open. It didn't come out but the wheel was moving and I had to get off and tighten the skewer. Got back on and tried to get back up to speed. I was really struggling and should have got back off but kept pressing. After 2 miles of this I am going up a hill and finally have to jump off. I look to see if the rear wheel is flat, its not but the brake is pressed hard against the tire. Dang it. Loosen the brake and off I go again. Make the turn and am pretty tired but passing people again. I then missed the last turn before home and had to loop back and play catch up again. The turn was marked and had people there but I have raced this course at least a dozen time and forgot about the rerouting. No excuse, totally my error. After correcting course I tried to push hard home. My mental game was way off at this point. A fast lady passed me and I tried to answer. We passed each other 4 times, her passing me on the uphills, me getting her on the downs. The headwind was tough for the last 3 miles. I held the fast lady off at the end but not by much.
What would you do differently?:

I need to check my bike a little better before the race. I don't think the skewer should have opened but it did and I can only blame me. Then after I dismounted, the brakke rub, no brainer. Wrong turn, nooooooo!!

I did alot of maintainance the day before the race and didn't ride it but a minute. Not smart. My power meter didn't work. I thought I had that fixed.

Post race
Warm down:

rode bike a couple minutes then called it a day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mechanical issues and mental mistakes. The mechanicals got me off track and I let that make me miss a turn.

Event comments:

Strangely enough, my overall results here were the best I have ever done. I was 31 out of 82, and 5 of 12 in AG. I don't think I have ever been close to that. I am bummed about the errors because I usually excel on the bike and the next 2 races, you gotta run twice and that drops me usually.

Funny, the first duathlon I ever did I flatted, since then I don't think I have ever had to stop in a race and I stopped twice today. Ouch.

Last updated: 2008-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:10 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/80
Performance: Good
1 8:01 160 2 8:15 163 3 8.57 163 .1 .58 167
Course: Out and back, downhill for first half mile then up and down throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:32:22 | 10.25 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/80
Performance: Below average
15:46 out 152 hr 16:35 back 150 hr
Wind: Some
Course: New course because of road construction. That means the 6 years of racing this course for historical purposes are not valid. They did have people pointing directions. I like the old course better because of the loop being easy to follow.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-12 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Woolmarket Biathlon

2008-04-12 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1333055

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Woolmarket Biathlon

Congrats Ken

Speedy 5K there..I need to work hard to keep up with you now

Lots of bike issues but you handled them well and had fun chasing that fast women.

Nice race...

Now I like the only 1 run part... 

2008-04-12 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Holy crap -- look at your run time!  That is fantastic!!!!  Sorry about your bike problems.  But what would have happened if... ???
2008-04-12 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Tri bike or road bike? Anyway I"m jealous of your racing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woolmarket Biathlon Rss Feed