AA Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 25s
Overall Rank = 168/231
Age Group = Ath 39 & Under
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Was planning on my usual oatmeal and ran out of time so I had a granola bar on the way. I did have my usual Espresso Hammer Gel before the race start.
Event warmup:

Jogged around just a bit but running is my weakest event and I didn't want to get worn out before I started.
Run
  • 31m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

They had one aid station at the turn around with water. I wish they would have had another one.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't want to go out too hard but I think I could have pushed a bit harder, enough to make it a 30min run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

When you crossed the mats into transition you were running downhill, then you rounded the corner and had to run uphill and my bike was in the first row heading out of transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 47m 9s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

They advertised this race as being on a newly paved road but there was only a small, short section that actually had been paved. There was a lot of grooved pavement making a rougher ride and I hit one bump that made my sponge on my aerobottle bounce out. I was going to have another Hammer Gel in T2 but decided to have three Cliff Shot Blocs that were left in my Bento Box from a previous ride.

I was happy with my time, again, afterwards I felt like I could have pushed myself a bit more but I didn't want to kill myself for the run
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

See above comments about transition area.

I don't have tri shoes so I can just slip my feet out but it would have been nice to have since I had such a long uphill section to run in my bike shoes. I ended up running just halfway to my rack and walk the rest.
Run
  • 33m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I did walk a couple times, really not sure why, my reasoning was that I will be doing run/walk intervals for my IM. My feet felt great, I think my HR was fine. It was just hotter than I thought it was going to be.

Again I wished they had another aid station besides just at the turn around. It was a beautiful, warm day but when it had snowed a few times earlier in the week where I live, I wasn't ready for the heat!
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some water and walked around a bit then grabbed all my gear to load into the car. I had a Recoverite pack from Hammer I decided to try and mixed it up, tasted pretty good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unsure of how I would do and I was afraid of pushing myself too hard and not being able to finish strong. I wasn't sure of how my legs would feel with the run to bike transition so I didn't want to push the first section too hard either.

Event comments:

This was my first duathlon and I had an great time! The race was well organized and in a nice location. I will definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2008-03-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 226/231
Performance: Good
HR Monitor decided not to work for some reason???
Course: Mainly flat out and back with a dip under an overpass and a small hill on the otherside, so you hit that twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:47:09 | 15 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 114/231
Performance: Good
HR Monitor still not working
Wind: Some
Course: There was quite a headwind for about 1/2 the race and I was averaging 15.5-16.5mph, at no wind I was 19.5, there was a tailwind for part of the race and I was averaging then 25+mph. Two out and back sections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:29 | 03.11 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 207/231
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back the opposite direction mainly flat both ways with a headwind heading out and it didn't feel like any tailwind heading back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 1:41 PM

User image

Redmond, Oregon
Subject: Spring Classic Duathlon

2008-04-14 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1336853

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Duathlon
Way to go Jen!!!

So excited for camp in a few weeks
2008-04-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1336853

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Duathlon

Great job at the Du Jen! That wind was nasty. Are you going to be in CDA Memorial Day Week-end? If so I'll be there too!

Randy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Duathlon Rss Feed