Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pre race depression - is this normal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-14 4:30 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Pre race depression - is this normal

Condor's thread got me thinking.

It's not really pre race "depression" but I find that I don't get all that worked up for a race.  I actually like the training more than the race itself.

More often than not, I wake up on race morning and tell myself "ahh, I could just stay in bed.  Who cares about the race".

I have an upcoming event, and I'm far more satisfied for what I have achieved training for this race than any kind of achievement I will get from participating in it.  Probably not the best attitude for being competitive, huh?!?!?

Anyone esle, or is racing end-all-be-all for you?

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-04-14 4:41 PM

2008-04-14 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1337535

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pre race depression - is this normal
I am right there with you! I am so excited up until race day and I'd rather be getting up to train on race morning.
2008-04-14 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

There are usually a time during a race when my mind starts to wander a bit and I think, hey, it would be cool to just bag the race, strip off my bib and paddle out into the surf because it looks really good about now. 

For the duration of most races, I am having the time of my life though.

I train and have lots of training goals, and fulfilling a goal is usually a fairly rewarding experience. (Especially when scheduling becomes tough)

I also race pretty regularly and have some very agressive goals and it is very rewarding to achieve some of those goals from time to time.

I do find myself being more relaxed at races these days than I did when I was new but I don't think that is quite what your describing. I have even been known to take a nap in the transition area or corral before a race.

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-04-14 4:38 PM
2008-04-14 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

do you think you setting time goals that are taking the fun out of it..

Don't get me wrong I always have some time that I'm hoping to achieve, but I usually know what my time is going to be based on my training up to the event.

The races where I'm not worried about anything and it's just a glorified training day are as much fun as my other races as long as I'm not thinking
"ok I lost 90 seconds there I need to make it up"

2008-04-14 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I loooooove the race.  I love training on the bike, but could live without the swim and run training, but don't particularly mind them.

The excitement of race day.  Seeing tri friends, nervous excitement waiting for your wave, the feeling of getting on the bike and being done with the swim, settling into a groove on the run, and best of all, the finish chute.  What's not to love???

2008-04-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: #1337574

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Gaarryy - 2008-04-14 2:41 PM

do you think you setting time goals that are taking the fun out of it..

Don't get me wrong I always have some time that I'm hoping to achieve, but I usually know what my time is going to be based on my training up to the event.

The races where I'm not worried about anything and it's just a glorified training day are as much fun as my other races as long as I'm not thinking
"ok I lost 90 seconds there I need to make it up"

No, I don't think so.  I just think that the satisfaction of losing almost 40 lbs, being able to cruse up that hill that used to be a beoch, running at a 9:00 pace and still be in Zone 2 when it used to be a 12:00 mile.  That stuff makes my much happier than setting a PR in my HIM.

I just know that lots of people train to race.  They LOVE racing.  I'm not one I guess.  Don't get me wrong.  I like racing a lot, but maybe don't hold it as high in a list of priorities.  I could probably train and never race an almost be as happy.  The race is just a goal, or benchmark to give my trianing a "reason".

It's funny, because when I played basketball or in all day volleyball tournaments, I LOVED to compete.  I would get to the gym early.  I lived to compete and kick some a$$!  Not so much for triathlon.  It's not a lack of competitiveness, just a strange focus on priorities.  Weird.

2008-04-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1337589

User image

Sensei
Sin City
PeterAK - 2008-04-14 2:48 PM

I loooooove the race.  I love training on the bike, but could live without the swim and run training, but don't particularly mind them.

The excitement of race day.  Seeing tri friends, nervous excitement waiting for your wave, the feeling of getting on the bike and being done with the swim, settling into a groove on the run, and best of all, the finish chute.  What's not to love???

All of that is great for sure 

If I dig really deep into my own psyche, it could be because I'm TOO competitive?  Winning is ok, but I HATE, HATE, HATE losing.  Triathlon is hard for me (which is why I LOVE the challenge of getting better during training), but seeing everyone I pass during the swim zip by me on the bike or the run.  Then constantly seeing my name in the middle of the AG'ers get a little dissapointing.  Then all I can think about is getting back to training to get better.  I see training as bettering myself, while racing is a reality check that I have a LONG way to go!

P.S. I did win a 10k once (clydesdale division).  THAT was a fun race! 

2008-04-14 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Race day's like Xmas morning for me. If it wasn't for racing, I probably wouldn't train on the bike or in the pool. (Running I'd do regardless.) Some events I don't care about as much as others, but I'd probably race every weekend if I could afford the registration fees.

I'm not the sort who can PR in training...I really do love the challenge of racing, of having the timetable set _for_ me by the event, rather than me doing whatever it is I'm doing for a training session when I decide to do it.
2008-04-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1337707

Champion
South Jersey
I get that way too, but I think most of it is a result of my nerves. Not having to race is so much less daunting than having to race.
2008-04-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1337606

User image

Champion
the colony texas

maybe.. since you used to enjoy being competitive when you were actually competing directly against someone. v-ball, basketball and Aikido?  with the tri's even though you are on the clock with everyone, it's not like your are kicking them off the bike when you pass them or they pass you..  It's a different type of internal competition that you might be fulfilling while training and seeing great progress.

Then again maybe since you got married you are starting to go soft 

2008-04-14 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1337709

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-14 4:00 PM I get that way too, but I think most of it is a result of my nerves. Not having to race is so much less daunting than having to race.

I like that - sums it up much better than I could....

2008-04-14 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1337720

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Gaarryy - 2008-04-14 4:06 PM

maybe.. since you used to enjoy being competitive when you were actually competing directly against someone. v-ball, basketball and Aikido?  with the tri's even though you are on the clock with everyone, it's not like your are kicking them off the bike when you pass them or they pass you..  It's a different type of internal competition that you might be fulfilling while training and seeing great progress.

Then again maybe since you got married you are starting to go soft 

Ha!  Good stuff!  god, hope that's not the case!

2008-04-14 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
i LOVE racing and i too am ultra competitive but each time i get beat just makes me want to race again and again until i am the one winning! on most days i wish they held the race 2 times during the day because "i know i could beat them the next time" its like crack...
2008-04-14 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I quite often find myself toying with what might be a viable excuse for skipping a race.  But I've always been glad that I didn't listen and stay in bed.

Racing is not the end-all-be-all for me.  But it is a nice way for me to go and be social doing what I love doing (swimming, riding, and running).  To me, each triathlon is a kind of party, and I just love being there.  

Now, if you were to mention post-race depression, I could relate to that.   

2008-04-15 11:41 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

I have been less than enthusiastic about racing lately too.   I think some it comes down to the effort and cost involved.   I have to get up at 5 AM all nervous, get a bunch of crap loaded in the car, drive to the race, get signed in, wait around for my start wave, and then have a couple hours of fun.    Or I could sleep in until 10 AM and go on a 2-3 hour bike ride.  

Edited by tkbslc 2008-04-15 11:42 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pre race depression - is this normal Rss Feed