General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-15 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Music and training
Anybody listen to music while training? I've found a few small lightweight MP3 players by Nike. However I'm wondering if the music will be a distraction or throw me off pace. I tried a portable CD player and didnt mind it except when the thing skipped of course then it became a huge distraction.

2004-02-16 12:14 AM
in reply to: #7492

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Subject: RE: Music and training
I have an MP3 player and a disc man (mine is one of those heavy duty ones that doesn't ever skip - it can get wet,sandy, etc. without and problems). I love it. The music defintely helps me when I run and when I have to bike indoors seeing as how I live in the frozen midwest!
You can actually use the music as a tool...I know that I get really bored about 20 minutes in to my run so when I make CD's or load the songs onto my MP3 player, about 20 minutes in I pick some of my favorite upbeat ones to help push me through the time when I normally want to quit.
2004-02-16 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Music is the best!! I am getting to where I have to make myself train with out it for a bit because you cant wear headphones in a race. I always have toons going. I am just careful to have the volume down when I am training out doors because there are alot of stupid drivers out here that dont look where they are going, so I like to have all of my senses about me when outside. but in the gym, its game on!! I have the IRiver mp3 player. it is about the size of a C cell batery,(just a little longer) and it holds around 300 songs or so. It is also a fm tuner, and voice recorder. I love it! 1 AA batery lasts about 14 hours of non-stop play... Jack.

Edited by JaWaLav 2004-02-16 10:00 AM
2004-02-16 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I am actually looking for a waterproof set to use during swimming as well. Anyone seen something like this?
2004-02-16 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
When training outside, I do not listen to music. I find it distracting and as said before it can limit your senses. You want to be safe while running or biking. Trust me after getting hit a few times while out running, you want to be on the lookout for idiot drivers. The second reason I don't run with headsets on, although this is the reason I tell my girlfriend not to, is that you don't want some stranger coming up behind you while you're in zone and taking you out. Possibly taking your clothes, money (assuming you run with money) or doing something else. So in general it's probably a good idea just to get use to running with out the music. If you listen to a good song right before you go, that usually works out quite well. Hope my rambling works out for ya. Later.
2004-02-16 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't use music outside for safety reasons. I love using it in the gym! The other day I was running on the treadmill & there was a old lady walking on the machine next to me... I started singing right along to Def Leopard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" . She was all smiles & giggles!!!

2004-02-16 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
LOL!! That is way too funny! I usually just bail off the treadmill to make people laugh. I should just try singing instead! LOL. Jack
2004-02-16 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I use a CD/MP3 (w/ skip protection) player inside and it keeps me rockin while sweatin the pounds away. I have a few MP3s too choose from and like changing the tunes frequently. I burn mostly techno dance tracks to keep my pace quick and me happy in the beat. I agree outside it might not be a good idea unless you pay careful attention to your surroundings. Music is great at keeping me going!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music and training Rss Feed