General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Police Service Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Police Service
8C / 46F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 48s
Overall Rank = 220/699
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 57/81
Pre-race routine:

Dropped of first wife at the volunteer tent at 7 am then parked the car. Said some hellos. Realized I forgot my race chip...booted home. Got it, got back to the start place with lots of time. Did some machs, strides and easy jogging and stretching. Had a powerbar. Said more hellos then tuned the world out with John's runmusic mix.
Event warmup:

Machs. Ran a total of about 1.5K
Wasn't cold, but unbelievably windy.
Did some sprints for the first time. Felt fast.
Run
  • 1h 58m 48s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Peanut Butter Baby! Beat my previous best by 17 minutes! It was a fast course, but I ran fast too. I stopped at every water station for about30 seconds, with the exception of one at about 50 minutes, where I had one gel and one at 16 k where I walked for a minute... I also walked for a minute with my second gel at 1:45. Apart from that no walking.
I kept looking at my watch and surprising myself that my pace was usually about 5:30.
Started out way too fast. about 5 minute pace. I tried keeping up with some really big groups of people and used them as wind breaks...the wind was that bad.

I ran great the first 7k , 2nd 7k I started to fade a bit, but picked it up near the end. Folled a cute pigtailed girl and got in my happy place. Lots of negative thoughts, but I fought them and kept thinking that I've come this far, I may as well keep going.
With about 3 k to go, I told myself I could slow down to 6:30 and still come in at 2:10...but I didn't slow down...I sped up. at the 2 k mark I started picking it up again, 5:20. With one k to go I hit a wall of wind for around 350 metres. I almost stopped! Turned the corner at the Centre of the Arts and thought of John and kicked ass! Psssed 4 people doing a 3:37 pace. I saw the clock at 1:58:30 and thought in the Ironman's words "just give'er!"
I couldn't believe it when I crossed the finish line. The is the fastest I have ever run over this distance.
I hurt a little during the run, but it was not that difficult except the windy parts.
I now know I can go even faster.
Thanks to the Ironman's tutelage.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not be such a wuss and not wear as much clothes. Baselayer (this prevented nipple chafe! longsleeve shirt and jacket. I was cozy, albeit a little floppy in the wind.
Try to build more speed during the middle of the race.
My shoes are getting a little flat. I think they need a change. Ran with bungies on, no problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Smiled a lot. Hugged and highfived a bunch of strangers and all the Ironmen in the race. Everyone was there. A little stretching, not much. Looked for my wonderful first wife. Had the world's worst post race brunch...fat on fat on fat, with some fatty starch thrown in.
Lots of bacon and sausages and ham...of course I had none of that, so I had croissant and crap eggs - from fat chickens I'm guessing and hash browns...urg. I was still 189lbs when I got home...3 lbs less than when I got up in the morning.

Listened to some good speeches and the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind...tough call. It was bad where it was bad - especially on the uphill parts, but I'm sure there was more of it at my back and cross wind that sped me up.
Floppy clothes may have slowed me down a bit. I don't think at this point in my development I could have gone much faster.
More mind games, but I overcame them...I probably could have gone faster if I really pushed.
I was out of breath at the end. I've never been out of breath. I must have been pushing it.

Event comments:

Brunch sucked, but it always does. No medal, just a crappy bag for $45. And volunteers didn't get in to brunch unless they bought a ticket. (I snuck FW in). But it goes to charity....so....
Package came with a poisonous plastic bottle. They had some new bottles on race day and gave those out gratis. Nice touch. Now what do I do with the toxic bottle?
This is my best race ever, so I should be happy.

By the way, last year's RPS yielded a result of 2:39:28

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:48 | 21.1 kms | 05m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 0/81
Overall: 0/699
Performance: Good
Personal Best. Average bpm 150 Max 160 1946 calories
Course: Two laps around big lake (once by university and TC douglas) once around small lake. Very fast course - considering the wind...Gusting to 58 kmh. Hillier than I remembered.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon

2008-04-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1349912

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon

Holy crap, congratulations!!! [choking with disbelief]

I thought in Colombia I was the man with 2:06:52, but YOU ARE THE MAN! Beat me again by a bloody mile this time (really, it would thake me 8 min or so to catch up)... Damn. I'm fading into the sunset now and you can enjoy your medal... Great time.

Edited by markz 2008-04-20 3:11 PM
2008-04-20 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's great to see when hard work and perseverance pays off!!  You certainly earned your time today....and look at the conditions you achieved that in....AWESOME!
2008-04-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1349937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

No medal, sadly...crappy back with a strange logo though...

You can't compare the run in Columbia. You were fighting for oxygen there and had the cartel all around you...The coffee cartel, of course! That was a great run you did despite all that. 

2008-04-20 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
I bow in the presence of your greatness!  Sub 2 hrs is truly inspiring.  I point my crutches skyward in your honor.
2008-04-20 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Well done!   You really have turned into a speedster.. congrats!  All of `that hard work paid off!

2008-04-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1350290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

tmason - 2008-04-20 6:59 PM Well done! You really have turned into a speedster.. congrats! All of `that hard work paid off!

Lots of work sometimes pays off!

2008-04-20 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations on your well-deserved and earned peanut butter today, Schmoopie!!!!
2008-04-20 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1350428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

mila - 2008-04-20 8:14 PM Congratulations on your well-deserved and earned peanut butter today, Schmoopie!!!!

I even had some this morning! Who knew!? 

2008-04-21 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Congrats Terry! Hard work paid off.  Can't wait to see you perform at your biggest race this season!
2008-04-21 11:40 AM

User image

Great start to the season. Things are starting to click - good job!

Congrats on the sub-2hr PB.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed