Sooke, British Columbia
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 56/125
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and packed the gear into the car. Got the bike on the rack and headed to Sooke. Stopped for a coffee and a bagel at the timmys. Then parked in a lot and walked up to the transition. Met Spirit fire and then Ronin and I decided that we would stay to the end and see the awards so we got the car and moved it to the top of the lot and unloaded. It has been awhile so everything was feeling weird. Set up good and then waited. I was in heat 3 so was doing ok for time. Ate a triple threat bar 1.5 hours before my race and a espresso powergel 30mins before which turned out to be 15mins before. Handed my keys over to Spirit fire and waited for the instructions from the director. Told to keep cones on the right when going out of transition and coming back in...Got to my lane and ducked into mens washroom to pee.
Event warmup:

I got back like in 30 secs and then the director said hey...we have 30 secs til start time...But its only 905 I am thinking...jump in adjust goggles go.....
Swim
  • 13m 38s
  • 700 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started the swim cold...my shoulders were screaming at the first 200m and then calmed down around 400m so I could concentrate more. No body to draft of and got passed by a lady that I figured would pass me, I offered to let her go first but I think she wanted to draft me for 200m and then she took off. I actually had a very good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten my shorts. They were catching the water at the turnarounds. So I had to place one hand to hold them up and the other out infront of me. It worked well enough but I would have liked to not think about it.
Maybe shave cause Ronin said I look like a swimming kelp bed.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No running on pool deck. Had a good time going. Was one of the first people out of my heat. Did everything methodical and had a fairly decent transition. Jersey went on fine, Since it was cold out, I put on arm warmers knee warmers which went on easy. Socks were a bit tougher but ok. Put on gloves which take a bit of finess and then glasses. Racing belt then helmet...went smooth.

Tell the weather to be warmer so I did not need the socks or gloves and knee and arm warmers.
Go faster....
Bike
  • 46m 28s
  • 20 kms
  • 25.82 km/hr
Comments:

Wow, I hammered out of this bike course. I went with my race til yo puke strategy that I enjoy. I was flying...turned up some massive gears and passed most of the people on the hills! yeah you read right..hills...so then I am thinking I may just try and keep up this thing until the end.. I end up going up this one hill pretty good and then it goes into a saddle and in the middle..you know where your trying to keep your momentum..my damn computer falls of...stop run back pick it up. Put it on. while doing that 4 people pass me...so I am pissed and get back on the bike. The hill is long and I have no momentum and I am in a stupidly high gear and I finally get some speed up it turns up to a higher grade...stupid hill. Get to the top and turn and start downhill again..I was seriously going to catch those 4 people. So I hammer and yes I catch one....up some hills spinning rollers big ring catch another rollers big ring hammer pass one more, cant seem to catch the one guy but then there was this little saddle with a big dip and steep climb coming up...hammertime...I hit 54k on the way down and pass the sucker on the hill yeah doing 39k.....I was stoked. Came into transition just infront of him and he says nice ride... I say thanks.
My Ride time was 41:09 pace of 29.45

Not lose computer or not stop for it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Taking stuff off was suprisingly easier than putting it on. Took my time and kept going assessing the sit of my legs...they felt ok...Tied my shoes up, turned my belt to the front and headed out!

Speed laces. Pull up socks. Go faster.
A total of more than 5 mins wasted in a sprint tri...not good enough!
Run
  • 23m 51s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 46s  min/km
Comments:

Legs were working the guy that I passed had beat me out of transition so I tried to keep up with him. my legs were sore but it was doable. Kept all others off of me until just before the turnaround where a couple passed me but I was starting to feel better. Got to the turn around and kept the 2 that passed me right infront. I started picking up my pace...they kept theres...I passed them seen the guy that had beat me out of transition...thought keep it up and you got him...so I was hammering the run from then on. Run run run....up the last hill and onto some gravel..I am right behind this man...I got you..your going to get passed My legs are on fire I can feel all the muscles in them like pistons..I start to sprint with 300m left and I am about to pass him at the 50meters to go line and he starts waving at his kids...oh man...you can't pass a guy infront of his kids....slow down, make sure nobody is behind me and cruise in just behind him. He thanks me for pushing him and I say good race. The woman who passed me at the turn around comes in and says to me that I wasn't fair...she passed me...I said"you got to have a finishing kick!", she says..not from 2.5k out! Well, I laughed and thought about puking...didn't!

Maybe press a bit more. But I did know it was mostly uphill the first half and just wanted to save a bit and conserve some energy to finish strong...which I did...so, nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around got my bike out of transition. Ate some food, and waited to see the awards. Oh, I got 3rd in my age group...I was in shock!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically, not really training with speed in mind.

Event comments:

I hammered this race..I am glad..I had nothing left in me after this race...loved that feeling.

Ronin crashed...had a snooze in transition and still beat me! MAN!

Last updated: 2008-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:38 | 700 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 66/125
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugio Ironman shorts
Course: 25m Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:28 | 20 kms | 25.82 km/hr
Overall: 56/125
Wind:
Course: Hilly course with some nice rollers. This incluced the transitions.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:51 | 05 kms | 04m 46s  min/km
Overall: 48/125
Course: up hill for the first half and downhill for the second...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: Sooke Spring Sprint

2008-04-21 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1353003

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Sooke Spring Sprint
Awesome race Dan!
Did you hang up your shiny shiny ribbon somewhere so everyone can see it? ;-)
2008-04-21 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Nice job Dan. Now you have to comeback next year as a podium finisher
2008-04-21 10:15 PM

User image

You're number 3! You're number 3!

Nice job, Dan. Though I'm a little disappointed that you didn't puke. Ah well.

2008-04-21 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Congrats!! Sounds like you had a great race! And yes, it does feel good to hammer!
2008-04-22 12:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-04-22 1:55 PM

Master
Port Moody, BC
Dude! You DO rock!! Way to go Dan, I wished I could have been there to witness such an event! Well done, solid performance
2008-04-23 5:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-23 6:23 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Thanks everyone. Chris, I looked and no it did not cost me a place, thankfully!

Yeah Swimming Kelp bed...maybe its time to atleast trim down!

Leah, we are going to puke!

THis race was on my radar for a few reasons and I am glad that I finally got to do it. Not sure if I will defend my third place finish yet.

2008-04-24 6:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

AWESOME, AWESOME job Dan!!!!

Jill

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sooke Spring Sprint Rss Feed