General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel strike - supination - how to cure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-24 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: heel strike - supination - how to cure
after reading the supination thread, i thought about my foot strike: i supinate quite a bit, and when i look at my shoes, the outside of the heel is the most worn. i guess this means i heel strike i thought i had worked past that, but apparently not. what drills/exercises/techniques do you guys know to focus on mid-foot strike? i have had shin problems, so its imperative for me to change my stride!

2008-04-25 12:03 AM
in reply to: #1360902

Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: heel strike - supination - how to cure

To get rid of the heel strike, run on your tippy toes.  Seriously, walk like you normally run and then walk on your tippy toes(imagine high heels withut the heels).  Thats how I run, heels arent 3 inches off the ground but they never touch.  The supination I havent figured out yet.  I do know that the major shin pain I had was in the lower half on the inside of my shin.  If you stand on 1 foot and get up on your tippy pinkie toe, the shin muscle that starts to burn is what always burns for me and only does that when your foot is supporting all the weight at that angle.  Once it rolls in a little, everything moves to the calfs etc. 

Good luck!

2008-04-25 6:52 AM

User image

Runner

Couple things:

A) Shin splints aren't caused by heel striking.  They're usually caused by training load, or by other biomechanical issues.  Heel striking isn't one of them.  In fact, landing more forward on your foot will more likely worsen them.

B) Why do you want to change your foot strike?  Landing on your heels is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.  Where you foot lands in relation to the rest of your body is a concern, but not what part of the foot hits first.

If you supinate excessively, that could be causing the shin splints.  If that's the case, you might consider orthotics, or new shoes to better address the issue.  Foot strike is probably not the issue for either of these. 

2008-04-25 7:41 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

You don't have to get rid of heel strike gait at all; that's just bad misinformation caused by some coaches, magazines, websites or those promoting running methods suchs as pose or chi running. Many many of the elite long distance runners heel strike. As long as you are not over-striding (landing ahead of your hips) it doesn't really matter wether you heel/mid/fore foot strike. Changing your gait just for the sake of it can lead yout to injuries.

read this: http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html and this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17685722?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Edit to add - Except for mechanical issues or accidents, most injuries are caused by incorrect/ inconsistent training load. I would review your training 1st to figure out the shin splint problem.

Edited by amiine 2008-04-25 7:45 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heel strike - supination - how to cure Rss Feed