United States
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 32s
Overall Rank = 32/244
Age Group = Old fart M40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/49
Pre-race routine:

I got up and got oatmeal and did my pre-prep stuff at home. I had a BT printout of what I needed to brink. I promptly ignored it.

I drove to Moraga and set up my transition area. I saw Brian, Julie, Gwen, Burt, and Sean. About this time I realized that I left my 4 water bottles in the frige at home. Burt saved my butt and let me borrow his TNT bottle.

I headed over to the pool and realized that the I left my tri plastic bag back at home. I stowed my stuff in Gwen's bag. She did point out that I had my glasses on my head--nice. What a lunk head. They did the pre-race talk and then lined up the swimmers. At this point I realized that I had left my goggle back at transition--so off I went. I got back to the line with enough time to meet my start

BAD BAD BAD. You would think that this was my first race....
Event warmup:

Running my crap back and forth to the transition area.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I gave my time estimated start time base on yards, not meters. My estimated time was 7:00 and I did the swim in 7:49. I gave up an estimated 15 seconds on going under the lane lines and waiting for other swimmers. At the end, the swimmer just in front of me was slow getting out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Get the race set-up nailed down.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I forgot the old helmet and it slowed me down.

Swim with my helmet?
Bike
  • 43m 39s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I did a great job of staying in the aerobars until I hit the first hill. After the hill I was a little tentative about the aerobars--but once we turned onto Pinehurst I did a pretty good job getting back on the aerobars. On the way back, I flew until the hill. My climbing was spot on. After the climb and through Cameno Pablo I flew in the aero (except for the rolling hills). The ride back to Campo was fine--but there little traffic.

Not much--I wouldn't power as much on a longer course.

I need to drink more on the longer races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s

I need quick tie shoes.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

My transition and first mile were pretty good. The course is pretty hilly and I was happy with my pace and strategy. To avoid knee problems, my game plan was to run within control (and give up speed on the downhill). I did this I'm happy with the run

Don't have knee problems
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and stretched out. Brian's daughter (Eveline??? spelling) and I waited for Brian--who looked good. Then I started to walk around and then Julie looked good. She looked strong, especially since this was her first event. Burt looked strong too. Gwen had problems with her derailer locking up. One of the Moraga cops helped her fix her bike.

This is my first race where I placed in the to 15% overall and top 25% in my age catagory. It amazes me that Male 40 to 49 is so fast. What does that tell us?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee and bonehead transition/set-up mistakes

Event comments:

Excellent local race. The race director ran the pre-race run through the week before and was friendly during race day.

The only reason that I'm not giving this a 5 is that it wasn't as seamless as a TriCalifornia event.

I would recommend this to all.

Last updated: 2008-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: 400 meters at Campo Soda center.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:39 | 14 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: From campo to Canyon and then turn around at the school. Head back to Campo, but turn on Camino Pablo and ride the flat to there.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out on campo and then up and back on a side street. Next follow camp until the road ends and then head back down hill to the high school. Finally, head up to the track and do 3/4 of a lap to finish-up
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-26 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: Moraga Treeline Triathlon

2008-04-26 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1363634

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Moraga Treeline Triathlon

Sounds like a fun race.  I think once we've done a few races, we stop using the lists and end up forgetting things.  Congrats on a great time.

Ernie 

2008-04-26 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Geoff, great seeing you near the finish line.  Its funny, I just saw your Bib #42 and remembered that was your (updated) seeding! 

Great job at the race today!  I finished in about the same time.  

2008-04-27 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

The first race of the year is always a "oh yeah, that's how you do that" event as you have to relearn everything.  Now You Know - don't ignore your checklist!

Sounds like you had a great race, and glad you figured out a strategy for the knee so it didn't cause you problems. 

2008-04-29 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Great job on your 1st official race of the season!  You'll get back into the swing of things.  We all have those moments that remind us to be more mindful later! 

Nice job in the aerobars too!  Maybe some day I'll get some!

2008-04-29 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Hey Geoff,

I was perusing the 2007 results, and noticed that you knocked 8-min. off your last year's time!  Damn, bro!  Way to go!  That's major improvement, especially in a Sprint!

Can you believe OnYourMarkEvents.com still hasn't posted results as of this morning?! 

2008-04-30 3:04 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

solid job on your race, minus the setup woes.  Great OA and AG finishes.

Yeah, there are a lot of fast 40 somethings out there.  I can wait until later in the year when I'm not the old guy in the 30 something AG and I'm the young guy in the 40 something one

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moraga Treeline Triathlon Rss Feed