General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Tri Coming in May Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-29 7:11 PM

New user

Atlanta, GA
Subject: First Tri Coming in May
Hello Everyone - - I friend introduced me to this website. Decided to try it out. I've made the commitment to do a Sprint Tri in May of 2005. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for a first-timer? Remember your first race? What do you wish someone would have told you for your first race?

2004-12-29 10:07 PM
in reply to: #97059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
Subject: RE: First Tri Coming in May
BRING A WETSUIT, and know the course
2004-12-29 11:07 PM

User image

Champion

get a open water swim in before gametime...bring along a buddy to watch you.

good luck!

2004-12-30 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My first sprint tri was also in May this year.  I am 6 feet tall and weighed in at 225 pounds and was already an avid cyclist.  I started training in January in the pool at work along with some stationary cycling and running on the treadmill.  I loosely followed a sprint tri training program, which I found on the homepage of this site.  You have plenty of time to get ready for a sprint tir.  My only advice to you is to familiarize yourself with the course layout of your first tri and the transition area's various "in" and "out" gates.  Don't rush the transition ... sprint tri's are fast and furious haste will only serve to disorient or confuse you.   Stick to your level of swimming, running and cycling and don't try to race anyone.  Keep a level head and most of all, have a good time ... :-)

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-12-30 8:58 AM
2004-12-30 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
After my first tri, a sprint like yours,  I was thrilled with the accomplishment.  My lessons learned: 1) put in the hours on the bike and include hills in workouts; 2) if an open water swim, look up to get bearings more often; and 3) don't underestimate value of bricks (back to back bike run workouts) in your training.  I've only done sprints and Olympic distance events, but I've never found a wet suit necessary. However, it's wise to learn the water temperature and know the course to help you be as prepared as possible. 
2004-12-30 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
I’m also training for my first tri. I'm planning on the first race in the Tri the Parks series. What one are you training for? There are a lot of nice people, on the site, from Atlanta that can help. I’m also in Atlanta. Check the group training site regularly, there are Atlanta rides every once and a while. Good luck! Feel free to IM any questions. I’ll try to help. I just went through the whole "get a bike" and "get equipment" stage. Been doing a lot of research.

As for advice: Have fun!

-Dominick

2004-12-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: #97375

New user

Atlanta, GA
Dominick =

Thanks for reply - - I am doing the same race as you at the Tri State Park. I am very excited and nervous. This is my first race of this kind. I've run in 5k's before, but nothing like this. My goal is to just finish and try to stay calm. It's great to know there are so many nice people willing to give great advice to people like me just starting out. I'm sure I will see you at the race. I would post my picture on this website, but haven't figured out how to do it.

Thanks again for replying to my message,
Wendy -
2004-12-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: #97198

New user

Atlanta, GA
Machiavelo -

I appreciate your advice. I tend to get over excited and want to go go go. I feel confident in running and cycling. I have always enjoyed running and I currently teach indoor cycling. I need to train outside as I know it is completely different. This website is great and very beneficial in giving me training suggestions and guidelines to follow.

Is a wetsuit necessary? I keep getting conflicting answers. Some say yes, some say no. What do you think?

Thanks, Wendy
2004-12-30 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
a wetsuit is good to have for the bouancy, and if you have bouancy then you will have a faster swim. If you were to buy a wetsuit get a triathlon specific one because the triathlon ones are designed to be thin, keep you bouyant, and not really to keep you warm. While thick non-triathlon wetsuits are designed to be thick and keep you warm, if you wore a thick wetsuit you wouldnt be able to get a good long swim stroke, making your swim time slower.

Edited by gocorey 2004-12-30 4:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Tri Coming in May Rss Feed