Thompson Health Family Practice
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 59s
Overall Rank = 21/161
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Not the greatest night's sleep. Up before everyone else at 7. Made/drank coffee, ate raisin bran, read some of the paper and made Bryn breakfast once she got up at 7:30. Left the house at about 8:10. Drank water on the way down.
Event warmup:

Did a few 100 yards of running, and a couple pick-ups to get the legs moving.
Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Nervous at the beginning as usual. I knew I wanted to push myself and see what I could pull off, but I hate that feeling of knowing you're going to be feeling kind of bad most of the time. Then Ken reminded me that I had actually set a goal time of 27' for the race. I can't believe I forgot about that! I didn't feel terrible really. I like to start out quick. Doing pick-ups to get through the crowd seems to help get me off to a good start. The uphill went well. I like passing people on those. Don't know why I'm good uphill. Turned a corner on a flat and eventually a tall lanky guy (with an orange shirt, I believe) came up to me and we ran together for quite awhile. Contrary to some opinions....I was glad he was there to keep me going. Eventually I kept hearing some stomping from behind, then I heard a familiar voice - Mike! Mike ran with me for awhile too. We managed to pass the tall guy, but then came the downhill. I've always thought I wasn't the strongest runner on the downhill. That was proven to me when Mike just took off and I tried to keep up but really couldn't. My feet were on fire and I couldn't push myself any more or risk just flailing out of control. Once we got to the bottom and passed the 5K mark I tried to gain some ground on Mike, and I did a little bit, but there was no way I could gain back the ground I lost on the downhill. Oh well.
I'm so glad Ken reminded me about my goal I had set for the race at the start. I looked at the clock as I approached the mat and it was ticking down to 27 minutes. I picked it up as much as I could to get to that time - 26:59!! Yeah, baby!
Good for 1st in AG, 4th female, and 21st overall!
What would you do differently?:

I need to do more speed work and specifically work on my foot work going downhill.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit to get my breathing under control, then stood around with the family and drank a lot of water and watched Ken and Dudley come in.
Later on I crowned Dudley the winner of the Biggest Loser competition!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going downhill, more speed work, maybe (probably) lose a couple of lbs.
A couple of observations: There were fewer overall participants this year than last (11) - maybe the extra K scared people off? There were a few more women in my AG this year. My overall average pace was slower this year - 7:10 last year vs. 7:14 this year.

Event comments:

Really good race. Nice 6K course. A good balance of up/downhills and flat. Roads in good condition. Plenty of friendly volunteers, everything on time and well organized. The beautiful, sunny, perfect temperature day certainly helped.

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:59 | 03.73 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 21/161
Performance: Good
1st mile: 7:15 5K time: 22:45
Course: One big hill in the first mile. Good downhill towards the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Better Life 5K+1

2008-04-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1365977

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Better Life 5K+1

So you couldn't win the weight challenge, so you crushed your AG?  Congratulation!!  Good job.  

Thanks for crowning me.  I hoped Bryn liked the jewerly. 

2008-04-28 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Awesome race Kam!!!  Congratulations on your 1st in AG!!!
2008-04-28 2:55 PM

User image

Expert

Wow, 1st in AG and you met your goal. Great job!!

Anthony 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Better Life 5K+1 Rss Feed