United States
Elite Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 36m 42s
Overall Rank = 444/4373
Age Group = 25 - 29 male
Age Group Rank = 79/379
Pre-race routine:

As always, got everything prepared the night before. When the alarm went off I pulled on my clothes, grabbed my bag, & brewed a cup of coffee to wake me up.
Event warmup:

Standing in line for the porta-potties.
Run
  • 3h 36m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for the race was 3:30 or under, but I realized early on that I wouldn’t get my goal for this race. I arrived somewhat late due to poor directions, bad traffic around LP field, and extremely long and slow lines at the porta potties. I started the race about 30 min late, crossing the starting matt with corral 14, rather than corral 4 to which I was assigned. Consequently, I spent the first several miles dodging slower runners.

Originally, the weather peeps were calling for rain for the whole race. Fortunately, once the race started the rain never came, and the weather cleared up. It was extremely humid for most of the race, and got very hot and sunny by the end.
What would you do differently?:

Not take a wrong turn for starters! :-) Other than that, I had a fairly sold race. I might have worn a different shirt to try to combat the humidity a little better.
Post race
Warm down:

Fluids and salty snacks at the finish line. Plenty of stretching while waiting for my girlfriend to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Staring in corral 14 rather than 4 caused me to do a lot of weaving. The weather was a little warmer and more humid than I had hoped.

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
03:36:42 | 26.2 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/379
Overall: 444/4373
Performance: Average
Average heart rate of 167, with a max of 187. My Garmin said I ran 26.56 miles due to weaving around slower runners.
Course: The course was harder than I expected, and harder than I remember from last year. It was fairly hilly, which even the elite runners who won the race commented on. The first half of the race is great, and takes you by Centennial park, down West End Ave by my alma mater (Vanderbilt University), through music row, and through Belmont University. The crowd support was also pretty good for the first half, but not as good as last year’s race due to the weather. The second half of the race is B-O-R-I-N-G. There’s little crowd, and the parts of Nashville that you run through have little to no significance to the city. I realize that it’s hard to completely shut a city down for a race, but the course should be altered to go through downtown, 2nd ave, by the country music hall of fame, and the Ryman Auditorium. But the finish line support was great, and with a little encouragement from yours truly the crowd was very loud when I finished.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes