General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic distance tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-29 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: First Olympic distance tri
I have my first Oly on June 22.  Just wondering what the advised mileage for all three disciplins is recommended in training.  This being my first, my goal is to finish and have had a positive day.  That being said, I want to go into it prepared and fit.  Check out my logs.. am I just getting cold feet??

2008-04-29 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1370553

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: First Olympic distance tri

I'd suggest looking at some of the Oly plans here on BT and back into your June 22nd race to see what they suggest your training should be like now.

2008-04-29 5:43 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Elly - 2008-04-29 3:08 PM

I have my first Oly on June 22.  Just wondering what the advised mileage for all three disciplins is recommended in training.  This being my first, my goal is to finish and have had a positive day.  That being said, I want to go into it prepared and fit.  Check out my logs.. am I just getting cold feet??

I don't think there's a magic number for mileage of the sort I suspect you're looking for after a look at your logs. Here's my totally underinformed, Oly-distance-MOPer, shoot-from-the-hip, reaction to what I saw there: What strikes me is that your volume is a little on the low side for the bike and run (esp. the bike). Also, I'd say that another piece I'm not seeing (maybe just overlooked it) is some longer continuous swims. You've got plenty of time--over the next four to five weeks, you want to be able to do standalone rides, continuous swims, and runs at the Oly distances (if you want the positive day you have in mind, that is, and not just to suffer through it). And don't forget to allow for at least a couple bricks at a distances that are in the neighborhood of an Oly.

For more specifics from people who know what they're talking about, I'd say "X2" to the suggestion of looking at an Oly training plan and seeing what sort of volume is being recommended this many weeks out from your race.

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-29 5:45 PM
2008-04-29 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
I've done 4 Olympics...

I am by far a back of the pack-er, at St. A's I was 96/155 (in my age group) to give you an idea...but I always finish, and I'm able to go to work the next day...

I've tried the Olympic programs on here, but they were so intense (probably because I'm BOP) that I can't finish them, and get home, and sleep at a reasonable hour...and so I'd give up on them...so I've made my own and printed it out...and check it off every day...

Its a modification of Hal Higdeon's half-marathon training along with biking that is convenient and swimming just to get in the water...

Anyways - I find it much more doable then anything else I've tried...

This is what I think is a good routine (I've gotten my time down my olympic time by about 20 minutes since my first Olympic race at this point)...I ramp up until about 2 weeks before a race, then ramp down...modifying the mileage is how I change it up for the weeks...if you have more time, you can do 3 weeks of ramp of, then one week of ramp down to "build" up a strong base...but I don't think you have that amount of time...

Anyways...

Sunday: Brick - Long bike - build up to between 20-30miles / Short run - between 2-3 miles

Monday: Rest day (I got trouble waking up on Monday anyways) - found that working out isn't going to happen, so I don't...

Tuesday: Bike early (I do spin class at a gym at 6am which always pushes me), then run 3 miles of hills right after I get off work - so, I'm home and done with exercise by 5pm...like today

Wednesday (**my long day**) - get off work, go straight to the pool, swim my speed workout - 2000-2500yards, sprints...then bike for about 20-30minutes, then long run 4-6miles (this is the only day that I finish exercise kinda late)

Thursday: Bike early (spin class - 1 hour) - get home early and can relax...

Friday: swim - Endurance - long 2000-2500yards then 2-3 mile run w/one 30-45 second sprint every half mile...

Saturday: long run - between 5-10 miles (I'm doing a half-ironman, so you could do less for your long run for an Olympic), ramp up from 4-7 miles over the next few weeks??

It equals out to:
-2 swims a week (really depends on how comfortable you are swimming - but as long as you are comfortable with being in the water, then one speed workout of about 2000-2500yards and one endurance workout of 2000-2500yards is fine for the distance) **If you are not confident in the swim, I might suggest doing more than 2x/week...

-4 bikes a week - two bricks, one is a long bike and short run/one is a short bike and long run...and then two 1 hour spin class "sprint" bikes to get faster...

-5 runs - **this is my weakest area, so I do this the most - obviously, you would modify based on what you are weakest at...two are in bricks with the bike...one is hills for strength, one is sprints for speed, and one is just long to build endurance...

Hope it helps...I'm really having fun with it, and seeing improvements which is cool

Edited by tbctbc 2008-04-29 6:08 PM
2008-04-29 6:15 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
It looks like you will be fine. You are doing 10 mile runs under 9 min/mile, 37 mile bike rides and 2000 yd swims.....This is all you need to meet your goal.

Maybe consistancy might help you. I train 2 days of each discipline each week with no bricks (you are already doing bricks).....

If you want to keep yourself challenged, try working on your Bike and swim distance and speeds

good luck
2008-04-29 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Yeah, get with a plan.  Your swim looks good, but shy on the run/bike.  It's doable, but you could be more prepared.  This from another bonafide BOMOPer.

2008-04-30 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

I'd say you'll be fine. Just take the swim and the bike real steady on race day. That 10K at the end will smart a bit. but that's part of the fun, no?

To make yourself feel better, take a look at the "training" I did leading up to my first OLY last year:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/view-report.asp?type=month&year=2007&month=9&memberid=48077 

That should make you feel better I finished AND had fun, but it did hurt a bit.

Good luck. 

2008-04-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1370558

User image

Expert
Denver Area
KathyG - 2008-04-29 4:12 PM

I'd suggest looking at some of the Oly plans here on BT and back into your June 22nd race to see what they suggest your training should be like now.

SECOND that 

2008-04-30 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

Thanks for the input everyone.  I spoke to the tri club coach last night (I work out with them 3xwk) and like you, he said I need to get going on the bike, start increasing my long rides.  We are doing a 55km ride this Sunday, so that will help and I'll have an idea of where I'm at.  He thinks I'm on target for the run (I'm doing a 1/2Mary on the 11th, just been fighting a minor groin pull the past 2 weeks so its been hit and miss) so endurance for that is there.. I need to maintain it though.  As for the swim, I need to get in some longer endurance swims getting myself up to 2000m.  I'll give that a go next week.  Then keep doing those endurance workouts weekly. 

I'm going to take the advise to look at some plans and work backwards from the race day and fill in my schedule.  Put it on paper and stick to it.  I'm starting a new semester at school, moving ect so the big challenge will be to stay consistant.  

Its crunch time folks!

2008-04-30 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
My OLY plan (2x blanaced from here on BT) shows that by race time my long swim should be about 77 minutes (from memory, may not be exact); my long run about 90 minutes, and my long ride nearly 2 1/2 hours.

I think the swim minutes are a bit much for me, because I can put in 3000 yards in well under an hour. I feel like I will need more running minutes because I am so slow. The longest bike ride seems very long, but I'm going to put in those minutes because I want to be sure of myself. HTH
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic distance tri Rss Feed