General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you TRI? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-02-17 3:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Subject: Why do you TRI?

Why Tri? I was pondering this when I was riding the stationary bike tonight at the gym. Seeing all of the gym apes reminded me when I wanted to be one of them. I would lift for hours with the intent of getting as big as I could. And now I am doing the total opposite! Then I starting thinking about when I watched the 2003 Iron Man on T.V. and seeing all the stories of why people run the Iron Man and how moving that was for me.

I started this little voyage I am on now because my friend was trying to talk me into getting a road bike so we could ride together while he trained for his soon to be first triathlon. And the more I looked into the sport the more it became appealing to me. I have always wanted to race downhill mountain bikes and often thought of doing some road races, but never got enough motivation to train. And now I am almost a month into starting out slow and in March will be beginning my training program for a race in the end of July and my friend has long sense bailed on me.  

I do not know where I am getting all this motivation from but I like it a lot. It is almost like a drug! I have never been so determined to complete something before. All I can see is me in that race and how good it is going to feel to cross the finish line and then be severely addicted! I don’t know if it is because I want to prove to myself that I can do it, or if I am just tired of being out of shape and abusing my body with a sedentary lifestyle. Or maybe there is some hidden reason for this somewhere in my subconscious that is driving me to do this, I am not sure. But what I am sure of is that I love it! I love the fact that I am pushing my self to levels that I have never been before and I am getting better day by day. There is a huge feeling of gratification watching, and feeling my body change for the better! And there will be even a bigger feeling of gratification when I cross that finish line in my tiny Speedo, looking GREAT! (I never thought I would want anything to do with Speedo’s before!) And not to mention all of the wonderful people that I am going to meet along the way!

So, why do you TRI?              

Jack.

Edited by JaWaLav 2004-02-17 3:39 AM

2004-02-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #7714

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Why do you TRI?
Ohhhh good question.

Well I quit smoking last year and spend 6 months working on that quit to make sure it is secure (it is and any ex smoker will no what I mean – non smokers will wonder why it can take 6 months!!!). The next step was to think of something to do to get fit. Soccer and rugby were out due to prior injuries and the fact that although I enjoyed them I never was any good!
I started volleyball in September just because it was an indoor event (and when I checked out the game there were already a coupe of fat boys doing it). After doing that I started looking around for something that would stretch me and challenge me. I ended up looking at Tri’s. I can swim (badly) so that I could work on, I don’t mind biking but again would need work and I detest running and always have so that would be the challenge. Plus its not a team event so you don’t have to rely on other only to see them drop out because they can’t be arsed. This is purely down to me. I can do all of the events but would not complete any tri now so I can work on each one until I have ready to go to the races.

The beauty of this event is this website and the encouragement I get – it truly is fantastic. By the end of August I fully intend to have mad the transition in one year from an overweight smoker to a triathlete who is 50 pounds lighter. I will cross that finish line and it’s the motivation that keeps me going from day to day (normally). I’ll do that run even if I have to do a Derek Redmond at the end!!
After August…. I have a sprint tri penciled in for September at the local Y (the event that got me interested in the first place) and then winter sets in – maybe I can extended to longer races next year – who knows?
2004-02-17 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
I have been interested in doing a tri for a long time. I was a swimmer in high school, love to ride my bike and was forced to run when in the Army. Problem is I lacked the motivation, I did do a century on the bike two years ago but life always seemed to get in the way. I quit smoking on the day I proposed to my wife(11/30/2002) and immediately gained an about 50 pounds. Working long hours at a convenience store that had great donuts did not help. Last summer I decided I wanted to do something about my weight before I died. I started liking at the local bike clubs website and noticed a link to RATS(rochester area triathletes) and noticed there was quite a few tri's around here. I knew that there was no way I could get in shape to do one last year. We went and watched one in September and it made my resolve to do one even greater. So in November got a gym memberrship and started my journey. This site has been a great motivation tool and I would like to thank you all for your encouragement.
2004-02-17 3:50 PM

Dallas, TX
I used to swim as a kid. I was never very fast or competitive, but I always enjoyed it. I also did quite a bit of bike riding as a kid. My dad, sister, and I even rode in RAGBRAI one year. (For those that have never heard of this ride, it's a week long tour where you ride your bike from the west border of Iowa to the east border.) I think I've always despised running. I was on the track team in high school, but again I wasn't ever very fast or competitive. I think I mostly joined the track team to have something to do and friends to hang around with. My dad and I competed in a triathlon together when I was only 14. That was such an amazing experience. When my family moved from Iowa to Arizona, I pretty much fell out of sports. There was so much more to do in Tucson than there ever was in my small home town that I got sidetracked. I never had a problem with weight until I reached about age 25 - then the pounds came pouring in. This was due to a lifetime of really poor eating habits (my idea of a balanced meal was a McDonald's cheeeseburger, large fries, and large soda) and inactivity plus the inevitable weight gain that comes with age. I knew that I needed to do something about my weight and I remembered that I used to really enjoy swimming. I called around and found a couple of Master's swim teams in my area. About the same time, I decided that I wanted to apply to be a special agent in the FBI. Well in order to get hired at the FBI, you have to pass a physical fitness test, which of course includes timed runs. I figured that signing up for a triathlon would motivate me to get out there and run with more of a short term goal in mind rather than just always having the mindset that the FBI might call me sometime, which is much too general of a thought. So that's why I'm here...a place to combine my love of swimming with my necessity to train in running.
2004-02-17 5:11 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
A whole host of reasons. That in some way become interconnected. I wanted to do one from the moment I discovered triathlon. But then I was the worlds weakest swimmer and too scared to even try. Plus the lack of any decent facilities on the wilds of the Lincolnshire (England) coast put a stop to that. Fast forward about 20 years, I now live in Minnesota with more health clubs than I can shake a stick at within easy reach. Theres no excuse not too. Then my brother in law started running marathons and my brother half marathons, well, I was shamed into actually doing something about it.
Come 17th July in Minneapolis I will get to realise a long held dream. OK so I'm only doing the sprint distance, but its a triathlon. But I am so psyched about it. I only wish I'd done it sooner.
2004-02-17 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
First of all, I love being outside!! I guess I started out a duathlete because I always struggled with running longer distances and I love cycling. I also spent my childhood summers in freshwater lakes and was comfortable with open water swimming. I thought it would be fun to learn how to swim properly, and this would also make me run less in multisport (see the recurring theme here... ;-) )
Tri is exciting and it is great to set goals to work on. There is always something to learn, and cool people to learn it from.

JB

2004-02-17 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I guess to put it simply--because someone said I couldn't.

I have struggled with weight all my life (familiar story, I know) and the struggle for the most part, has been on the losing end. But in the midst of all of this--I love to exercise, to play, to sport. Obviously weight hampered that. So on top of the fear and depression that often cycles with the weight stuff, I was missing this major joy.

I had a lot of women friends who were doing the Danskin tri, and they asked me to join them in training. Just the thought of beginning felt overwhelming. I wasn't just battling being out of shape or a couch potato, but sendentary obesity. I didn't really want to do it, because I knew that I would be the last of the last. I was almost willing to let my fear of being mediocre and my tendency to compare to DNF me before I even got started.

As I slowly got into it and began hitting the milestones... running one mile... learning to swim... biking up Grizzly Peak... running two miles... buying my first exercise clothes... the joy and effervescence just bubbled in my gut like champagne. And in my training group I was always last, but I knew that compared to the Dana of two months ago, and the Dana of two weeks ago, and the Dana of two days ago, I was first.

And that didn't even matter as much to me. There was so much comradere in the training, so much shared joy in the accomplishments. Then I became an evangelist for the sport--encouraging other couch dwellers, other 'I could never' types.

I've done things I never thought I could, and I've tried things I never dared to try since then. And I'll never be pro, I'll never be the best, but I will definitely be happy. And I won't let doubt or fear or insecurity defeat me.

I love to tri and I love the spirit of tri'in in all that I do.

Dana
2004-02-17 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
I actually did a sprint 20 years ago - hard to believe I am old enough to even say that! At that time i was a 15 year old competitive swimmer and in the best shape of my life. Still, I didn't prepare for the run and had a lot of walking. Anyway, I loved the triathlon, but swimming was my focus at the time.
Skip forward ten years to marriage and kids and I am putting on weight - I weigh 50 poinds more now than I did in college. the main thing I don't like is the big round belly I have - it looks just like my Dad's! I have got to be rid of that thing, but I just can't do thousands of sit ups - I need something more interesting. Couple that with a love of the outdoors and finally having s alittle more time now that the kids are out of diapers, and voila'! Instant triathlete! I have had a few false starts over the last couple of years, but I am farther along now than ever, and living in a great place to train.
If only I could get my wife interested in running in one!

2004-02-17 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
For all the people who snickered when I said I wanted to.
2004-02-18 3:04 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I love those snickering people, it really gets me motivated. I watched my dad finish Ironman Hawaii in 1982 and knew someday I would be there pounding the pavement. When I hit 200lbs in my early 30s I knew I needed to get off the couch. 2 years later, after shrinking 40lbs and feeling great I was ready to begin my triathlon trek. I am just surprised the sport is as big as it is now. I would have never guessed... well maybe I would. In the lastest local CitySports magazine here they have an article on double, triple and even a 10X IRONMAN! No kiddding less than half who start finish. Looks like fun, if your CRAZY. But I suppose many think I am crazy for going out for an Ironman distance. Although it may have to wait for next year since I just started training. My favorite quote, "swim 2.4, bike 112, run 26.2 and BRAG forever. And the kids think I am more of a super Dad than I already am doing this stuff. Both fight over the stationary bike when I get on my trainer. I hope I am starting them on a long life of healthy living. The diet & lifestyle change my wife and I have initiated in our now heathly lives is great. She does aerobics a few times a week and is looking fantastic. But, now that I am swimming, biking and running way more my wife thinks I have lost it. But everytime my pop asks how my training is going I know he knows why I am. And thats another reason all together.
2004-02-18 4:03 AM

User image

Expert
England

Like many of the stories above, I got interested as a catalyst to change my lifestyle from sedentary to active.

I have been reasonably active in short bursts for a few years, mainly as a runner, but always ending up a little bored and with nothing to drive me on each cold, wet evening. The appeal of triathlon is the variety and challenge - 3 sports to mix it up a little, and the challenge of 1500m in a pool without a near death experience! I would also be lying if it didn't sound cool to say you do triathlons!

I did a short sprint tri about 5 years ago that was organised by my company. I never really trained properly (hadn't been in a pool for a year before the big day 'cos how hard is swimming 20 lengths right?!) and had a dismall performance that really let myself down. Since that day I've always to wanted to do it again properly and see what I could really do, so this time I'm training big time and have 3 event entries for this year - <1hr 15m is the goal to beat, and a half marathon in September.

A major motivation is my family as well. I have a 4 yr old son and I want him to grow up in an active household where we exercise regularly together and he develops the good habits of a lifetime. It's already working after just a few months as he counts my reps on the Total Gym and my minutes on the turbo trainer - a little junior brainwashing and he already nows exercise is important if you're going to get good at sports!

No way back from here.......

2004-02-18 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
I know about the snikering part. It happened to me when I was on the starting line of the century I rode. I heard comments like he will never make it with that bike(kmart mountain bike) and he is to big to be able to finish. That just made me more determined to finish. Just recently my wife told me that she told one of her coworkers that I was planning to do a few tri's this year and he looked sort of baffled and said that I did not look like the sort of persond who would do a tri. He has only met me once.My wonderful wife stood up for me but I prefer to stay quiet and prove it by accomplishing my goals.
2004-02-18 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Sometimes I wonder Why I tri. Other times it is so clear that I need to be focused on something. I need something to throw myself into. It's what I do and it's what I am passionate about.
Life would be so much easier if I could just watch tv and drink beer and talk about hockey like everyone else but that is not who I am. I need to go places and do things and push myself and I need to be fit.
2004-02-18 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Before I start mine, let me just say that Dana's reasons are pretty cool. Keep it up!

I have been a runner most of my life. I was on the track team in college, so I am intimately familiar with the last leg of our event. I always have a nice pair of broken in running shoes, and never have gone more than a month or so without running. However, most of my free time since college (8 years already) has been spent on the golf course. I was able to get my handicap down to 11, if I do say so myself. However, I have always been one to enjoy change, and this winter I sensed that nothing in my life was changing. We have two kids, with plans to have a third but no time soon. I have had the same house and job for over five years. I needed to break the mold. So into the closet (for now) went the golf clubs, and out came the cycling shoes. Change is good, and we are a-changin'.

Now, I also miss the thrill of racing. Golf is definitely a competition, but it does not require fitness, nor does it require the type of mental toughness that training for and competing in triathlons does. Finally, it does not offer the archaic escitement of bettering oneself in a demanding format. Completing a triathlon is alltogether different. Not everyone can do it, that's for sure. And I have set a goal of completing a Half Ironman in September! This is from a guy who is still fired up to swim 300 meters without stopping! (Good thing, because my first tri in March starts with a 300 meter swim...)

I can imagine the sense of accomplishment of finishing the race in September. I enjoy the training and the pushing myself as I have not done since college.

Finally, it will give something for me and my brother-in-law to talk about when our families get together. He is a lifetime swimmer, so that is no fair, but I am going to try try try to catch him on the run every time!

2004-02-18 6:22 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

I saw the Ironman on TV one time a few years back where a guy who wanted to do the Ironman was in an accident or developed a severe disability (I don't remember the entire story) but what I remember the most was his dad carrying him during the swim, bike and run.  That was inspirational.  It took me several years to finally get off my butt and get started, but seeing an ordinary human being do something that extraordinary is something that I always wanted to be able to do.

I enjoy personal accomplishements.  I did team sports when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I've tended to focus more on individual sports - I always know who is responsible for the outcome of the event that way.  I've done martial arts for several years and enjoy that immensely, but I spend more time teaching and less time on developing my own skills, so I kind of wanted something for me.  I used to be somewhat impressed with myself and what I could accomplish, at school, work, or whatever.  Kind of lost that over the years - no big accomplishments to get excited about and motivate me on - and wanted to try to get some of that back.

I started training last June.  I didn't know how to swim, still don't have a decent bike and run like I'm wearing snow boots.  Inspite of that, I can see so much progress in losing weight, actually being able to swim distances, make my old bike go reasonably fast and my runs faster and longer than I ever really thought possible.  I started out thinking that I would be doing sprints forever, then realized than an olympic is probably going to be more my distance, and lately thinking a half-iron this year is a possibility.  I never thought I would ever enjoy something as much doing triathlon. 

Triathlon makes me feel good about me.  That gives me a better outlook on life and makes me approach life with more vigor and less trepidation.  It challenges me.  It makes life more enjoyable.  That's why.

2004-02-18 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I like to swim, I like to run, and I love to cycle, and although I do not excell at any of these three sports, I know that I can complete a triathlon, albeit a sprint, in a good enough time to hold my head up and say I did it well.

2004-02-18 9:06 PM
in reply to: #8046

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
To Tiger Phil:

I suspect that you will catch your brother-in-law on the run... the odds are against the swimmers. In a sprint the best you can hope for is a 5 minute head start on a great swim, but a good run or bike can make up for 10 or 15.

Be sure to smile when you pass him!
2004-02-18 9:46 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Because I can!
2004-02-18 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Someone asked me this today....and my honest answer is....Fear. Fear that I will succumb and not be all the me that I can be. Fear that I will give in to the pressures around me to live a specific stereotype, to not make waves, to give up my individuality all in the name of sacrificing for my son and his best interest.

But what people don't understand is how can I be the best for my son when I'm not true to myself? When I don't show him who I can really be or what I can really do? We are examples to our kids and like Bigpikle pointed out, his four-year-old son is watching him, getting excited for him, being a part of the training and through all that, learning about a healthy lifestyle, about setting goals, about perservering, about reaching to be the best person you can be.

My seven-year-old knows what I'm doing, he's excited by what I'm doing and he can't wait to be there on race day to watch mom do what a few short years ago she thought was unthinkable. God knows I've shown him enough *bad* habits NOT to pick up (she says as her son mimics mommy in the car by yelling at cars that drive too slow) that if I can show him some good habits I'll be happy.

My long-winded point is that by taking care of me and being a little selfish to make sure my needs are met I'm making myself a better mother for him. (sorry about the rant...had a rough day with some critical comments from people who have absolutely NO business being critical about my parenting skills so this post touched a nerve (she said self righteously as she pounded the keyboard with her conviction )

So there you have it...and I guess the also the fact that I got drunk on my 30th birthday and proclaimed to just about EVERYONE that I was going to do one by the time I was 35...which is in four short months.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys.

n
2004-02-19 12:55 AM

I started tri-ing when my mom pulled me into the sport. A bunch of ladies from her work decided they were going to do the Reebok Womens Triathlon Series in Naperville last year. My mom was the one that they had to really persuade to register but when she finally registered, she was really pumped. She asked me to help her train for the swim portion so I started going to the pool with her and as I saw her train, I felt like I was missing out on something and I wanted to be a part of it. So I decided I was going to register myself for not one, but two triathlons. We were already planning on going down to Florida that September and coincidentally, Reebok was holding another triathlon (of the same series) there on that weekend. I started training and was really excited when I sprained my ankle the week before the first triathlon. I was so bummed out but I still cheered my mom and her friends on. I was able to recooperate by the second triathlon and I even pulled my little sister into the sport. When we finally competed in Florida in September I felt such a sense of accomplishment. My sister and I finished the triathlon side by side, she being the second youngest out of almost 700 participants (11 years old at the time). I have been training ever since then and I can't wait to compete this summer in at least two triathlons.

Tri-ing has also gotten me motivated for other things such as participating in events benefiting a specific cause such as the Reebok Womens Triathlon benefitted research for ovarian cancer. Relay For Life (check out the american cancer society website) is another event that I am setting up and it is taking place at my high school. I will be participating again in March for Dimes and there are plenty of other walks I am going to be taking part in. I have lost two family members to cancer, another one has survived it. Knowing that what I am doing will somehow make a difference for cancer patients is all the motiviation in the world that I need.

Another reason for tri-ing has been my weight. I have been actively involved in sports all my life but I have always been dubbed a "big-boned" girl. Weighing nearly 170 pounds (and standing 5'6") when I started training I also had a little hope in the back of my mind that training would do something to make me lighter. I doubted it though because I was in shape and had never really given myself a chance to not get out of shape so how could i be overweight? I started eating nutritiously and watching how much I ate. Since last April/May I have lost over thirty-five pounds, weighing somewhere around 133 pounds. I never thought that the combination of tri training and watching what i ate in addition to everything else that I was doing before would allow me to lose the weight I did.

My oh my I just wrote a novel. Well, you get the picture. I could never stop tri-ing now. It's molded and shaped my life like nothing I ever thought would.
2004-02-19 1:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Wow! There are some good reply’s there! I just want to thank everyone for replying to this thread! It is really great to read what other people think and feel about this great sport. I appreciate everyone’s openness. Jack

2004-02-19 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Back in the 80s I ran Track and Cross Country in High School and often went on long bike rides to pass the time. I took some fitness classes my first year at a Jr. College, the final was a triathlon. The first I did as the runner on a team. The teacher found out I was into cycling and said he wanted me to do the next one solo.

I did about 5-6 duathlons / sprint tris over the next couple of years. Jobs and moves kinda moved me on to other things.

A couple of years ago I started working Police bike patrol and got my wife a bike so we could ride together when I was off. She really got into riding, and was starting to log more miles than I was.

She got inspired by some of those "I lost it " shows on Discovery and decided to train for a triathlon. I remembered how much fun it was and decided to join her. Having training partners has kept us both motivated.

We did a 1/2 Century and some 10ks last year. This year its kind of the "race of the month" thing... 5ks, duathlons, sprint tris...whatever we can come up with...ultimate goals - logging more miles and having more fun.

I guess I'm in it for the bragging rights too.

Changes between '88 and now? Well I'm older, wider, don't run or bike as fast, but my swimming is faster...maybe an ....err..."closing in on middle age" dog can learn new tricks.

2004-02-19 5:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
This is her daughter. I am 11 years old. The reason I do triathlons is because it is so much fun. I really like that it is an endurance sport, I 'm not a good sprinter. My favorite part of training for triathlons is that I know that the more I train, the better I will be. Running is the hardest for me, but I feel really good when I do well. I love to ride my bike, it is really fun. I specially like to go FAST! I swim on a swim team, so I swim 5 or 6 days a week. I love swim team because I get to be with my friends. I wish that more kids would do triathlons, or at least that some of my friends would. I am trying to get some to at least do a relay with me.

ps. I am doing my first Sprint Triathlon on Sunday! Yay Me!!!!
2004-02-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #8317

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-02-19 5:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Great reasons Herdaughter, or Hermom's daughter or whatever. Good luck on your first tri this weekend. Have fun. I know you'll do great.

JD

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you TRI? Rss Feed  

of 2