General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic chafers, step forward! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-05 5:32 AM

User image

Regular
Alaska
Subject: Chronic chafers, step forward!

Alright everybody, it's time to get real.  There's a killer in the midst, and its name... is chafage.  We all try to hide it.  We all try to deny it.  I could write a song about it.  Some get it more than others, but let's face it, it comes with the territory.  Just the thought of chafing makes me clinch my jaw, and my buttcheeks.  Sorry to be so crude, but that's the point of this thread.  I am here to share my extensive chafing experience, chafe recovery and chafe prevention methods with all of you.  My hope is that we can all share this valuable information with each other in order to become better athletes, and better human beings.

So I say to you, whether you use powders, creams, or vaseline... step forward and testify!

Here's mine.  I have had my bouts being overweight, but even when I am in awesome shape,  I chafe.  My thighs rub together whether I'm 175 or 225.  I have to gauge every activity by what I like to call -- the chafe factor.  Certain activities cause the chafe-factor to increase rapidly, such as any activity causing perspiration, stressful situations, and any amount of time spent in a mall.  If I am getting ready to go for a run, bike, or even a trip to the store, I have to "apply".  This is the keyword I use with my girlfriend in order to be discreet.  I'm not so shy about it anymore, since we're getting married in September (yay!).  I have heard of people using powders and even vaseline, but here are my thoughts on them: 

Powders lose their "lube-value" (my term to gauge the effectiveness in preventing friction) within a short period of time.  You can smell powder, and just about everybody knows you've recently applied when you walk by.  Plus, it's easy to accidentally wipe some powder on your clothes or face, leaving white powdery marks.  My future father in-law is a fellow chafer, who is an avid powder user.  One popular story my fiancee likes to tell involves him having gold bond powder right under his nose while talking to the concierge in a Las Vegas (of all places) hotel.  He's a very loud and fast talker too, which makes it even funnier.  Anyway, yeah, they thought he was a cokehead.  I'm not a fan because it's just not efficient enough for my level of chafability.

Vaseline's lube-value would be a 11 on a 10-point scale.  Of course it's petroleum jelly, which leaves you with a zippy, slippy feeling in your stride.  I just don't like the feeling.  Plus it can seep into whatever you're wearing and be visible, or maybe leave some unsightly lubemarks.  However, for long distances, the vaseline may be worth it because it can endure some serious rubbing. 

I'm a creamer.  I use a thick, non-fragrance, super moisturizing cream.  The thicker it is, the longer it lasts, judging by my own experience.  I can not stress the importance of 'non-fragrance'.  If you decide you should use some sort of scented therapy lotion, thinking it will feel nice... you will be sorely mistaken.  My favorite lotion that I can not do without is the Eucerin dry skin therapy Original moisturizing cream.  It's nothing fancy.  No aloe, no scents, nothing.  There are others that I might use as well if the chafe-factor is low enough.  Equate and Balmex make non-fragrance balms that come in a small tub, and they will last forever. They're relatively cheap, and they work.  Eucerin is more expensive, so I use it for the seriously high chafe-factor, and chafe-recovery. 

So, now I have questions of my own, specifically geared toward triathlon training and competition.  Are there any kinds of anti-chafe tri shorts that are especially good?  

Swimming before biking and running can cause my chafe-factor to shoot through the roof!  So, is there something you do to prevent it in that situation?  Maybe that would warrant the vaseline.  I'd have to get used to that, I guess.

Thanks to everyone who is brave enough to participate in this thread.  As many of us know, chafing can be extremely painful when it gets to a certain point, and it can certainly affect one's performance when it's neglected.  Here's to the eradication of chronic chafage!

2008-05-05 5:44 AM
in reply to: #1381420

User image

Veteran
Lowestoft, England
Subject: RE: Chronic chafers, step forward!
I feel your pain. But - I don't get this at all since I started training in Tri shorts. I have Zoot or Orca both work fine.
2008-05-05 6:07 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I used to experience it on the run, but not since pitching all my loose-fitting shorts and switching exclusively to tight compression shorts for running.

2008-05-05 6:29 AM

User image

Regular
Alaska
Does anybody have a chafing issue from normal daily life?  I sweat a lot, even though I'm in pretty good shape, so that makes it worse for me.  My biggest concern is what do I do if I swim, and transition to biking and running afterward?  Even though I wear compression tri shorts, they don't "hug" high enough to really protect my upper upper inner thighs. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chronic chafers, step forward! Rss Feed