General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cumberland County, New Jersey
United States
Pirahna Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m 1s
Overall Rank = 114/205
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/49
Pre-race routine:

How not to taper for a race:
13 Days prior to the Devilman, I ran the Boston Marathon and it took a good week before my legs felt right. The week leading up to the race I finaaly decide I was going to do this race, signed up and then did hard workouts on Weds, Thursday, and a 2 hour interval session on the bike Saturday. The night before I stayed up till about midnight watching the NASCAR race at Richmond. Then I loaded up my bike which I waited to long to bring to the LBS (So no tune up and the Chain was rubbing in 10-12 gears), got about 4 hours of sleep and headed out with a couple apples, a few mini baggles and some white tea. Made good time and got a decent parking spot. Then I visited the bathroom, set up transition, and realized my chip was still in the car, treked out there to get it. They started the pre race meeting early and tried to clear transition as i was coming back, had to get in and get my wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

The jog to the car and back, then floating out to the start of the swim.
Swim
  • 32m 43s
  • 2113 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

They really didn't think the start thru very well. One dock to get in an out. 4 waves, 2 for the sprint, 2 for the HIM, supposedly 3 minute between waves. The sprint waves go first, then the first HIM wave and the last wave had all the 40 and under men. The first two waves got off fine, then the thrid wave starts out and the sprint folks start coming in, they got the thrid wave off, but our wave ended up being delayed for about 10 minutes as the first two waves finished up (Or there was a large enough break to get us in the water). Barely had time to float to the line and get over the shock of the cold water and we were off. Started back and outside and it was pretty clean, don't think I got more than one good bump. I stayed to the outsde and diamonded my way through the first lap and did pretty good. Got into a good rhythem and went to town. The second loop I got way outside as I started sighting of the yellow kayak instead of the yellow buoy on the back stretch, so I added a good chunk but made up for tha with a great shortest line possible third lap going dead on the bouys. The end was weird having to sprint to the steps then wait and almost fall in cause the dock was pretty unstable and so was I.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up. First swim with a wetsuit since Eagleman last year, so wasn't used to the extra float but I got the feel pretty quick. Good swim and a swim HIM PR by about 3 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

After a long run from the lake to the transition area, I got my suit half way off, found my bike and then got my butt kicked by my wetsuit. Just couldn't get it off my right heal. Took a while but, I stayed very calm, loaded up with GU, sprayed on some sunscreen, put on my Arm Warmers (first time using them) and trotted off. Not pretty but actually faster than I thought given the strugles with the wetsuit.

Practice taking off the wetsuit and more body glide on the claves and ankles. As I said before I hadn't had a wetsuit on since June of last year.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a fun ride, being in the last wave, I didn't have too many speedsters starting behind me so only about 5-6 people passed me on the first 2 1/2 legs of the first loop. I got going and found a nice tempo on the first legs. Started drinking my GU20 every 15 minute and having a Gu every 30. Problem with the Team Zoot GU uniforms, the pockets are very small and I barely fit 6 GUs and had to work at stuffing the empties back in. After the start of the 3rd leg, I started to feel my left hamstring which worried me, but once I dropped to an easier gear and spun it let up. Only had 2 people pass me after the start of the 3rd leg of the first loop both of whom I had passed and would then repass. One of those guys was an older dude who really needed a new pair of bike shorts (they were quite see thru in the aero position) which was sufficient motivation to pick up the pace. The 4th eag was the hardest going into the wind and I slowed to 17 mph but tried to keep the effort steady and went with a high tempo and easy gear. Problem was I got down to the gears where the chain was rubbing. But I got thru that pretty well. First lap was about 1:24. Turning out of the wind was nice but the cross wind messsed with me especially as I tried to drink, but I got going and worked the little rollers on this stretch well. Finally, going to the down wind leg, I pushed the temp and averaged about 21-24 mph even going uphill, felt really good and wasn't working too hard, kept with it the 3rd leg and grabed some gatorade (had to toss one of my GU20 water bottles since the jersy doesn't have pocket large enough for a water bottle. Worked hard mentaly to keep the pace up on the final upwind leg maintaining 18 mph. A very good ride 1:27 on the 2nd loop and didn't feel bad. Long run from mount/dismount to the timing mat. Faster Split than Eagleman and about 8 min faster than last year.

Tune up my bike, adjust my position, and get some aerobars. That headwind just pounded home the message that aerobars can help alot or at least ease the mental factor.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Nice smooth transition, took my time grabed my 6th gel from the bike and ate it. Grabed a big slug of gatorade, sprayed on sunscreen, grabbed my hat and lost the arm warmers. While I did empty the used GU packets from my pockets, I forgot to relaod with the 3 new ones. OOPS

Bring the Gu with me for the run since there was nothing but water and gatorade on the course.
Run
  • 1h 53m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out of transition, and hit the porta potties and then started off. Watched the traffic of Sprint race folks headed home and commented to the guy next to me how depressing that was, they were headed home and we were just starting the half marathon. I started off with a nice smooth jog and my legs came in pretty quick and I eased up the pace. About a half mile in, I discovered I hadn't stock the GUs, so I thought "OK we'll just take gatorade each stop andget by on the 6 GUs you had on the bike and T2". From there I just cruised along for the first half and felt pretty smooth. Coming back to the end of the first out and back I picked up the tempo a bit and still felt good. Gatorade every mile worked pretty well and I thanked the spectators who encouraged me as well as my fellow runners. A little after mile 8, I had a woman pass me. She was the only person to pass me on the run and since the middle of the first loop of the bike. I tried to keep her in sight and did an OK job until the last 2 miles. They changed the course from last year (and the website) and lengthened the 2nd out and back to add a long exposed section on a flat dusty farm road and this was the one spot where you went an extra half mile between aid stations. Mentally that was tough, but I held it together and once I made the turn I got my mind back to the right pace. Passed a dude in one of the old Orange Team Javelin Jerseys, so I cheered him on. The last 5 K, I started pushing to catch the folks ahead of me and I caught them one by one. I still felt strong and smooth and was really surprised since I had just run a marathon 13 days earlier. The last mile flew by, and i cheered on the last few people I passed, and chatted about the weather (it was supposed to rain instead of being hot and sunny all race) then I headed for home did the last couple turns and eased up to lets the guy in front of me get a good picture. Good 1:53:39 run, only about 45 second slower than last years HIM run PR.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked out, my leg grabed a ham sanwich and found only Coke to drink. Every water or gatorade would have been better. Sat down ate and stretched then headed to transition gather up my stuff, changed out of my uniform top, loaded up and brought everything to the car. Loaded the car, head back to the porta potties to get change out of my tri shorts and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well this became a 'C' race after getting a shot to run Boston. I did a hard bike workout the day before, and trained through this race. I also took it easy and never pushed the envelope just tried to be smooth and steady and have fun. Despite all that I ended up PRing the Swim and Bike, going 1:53:39 on the run. At the end I slowed to pose for a good finisher's picture and the saw clock red 5:45:01. Didn't click that the clock started at wave one and we were -19 minutes so it was actually 5:26:01 a HIM PR by 9:44. Felt nervious that I wasn't ready before hand, I guess I was.

Event comments:

OK First off I have done this race each of the four years it has been in existence and have hit my HIM PR here each year. The volunteers and spectators were great and did a good job. The field always seems really strong 51 people under 5 hours. So those are the positives. On the flip side, I was totally unimpressed by Pirahna's effort. The mess with the start was a poorly thought out plan, regestration closed a day earlier than what was posted on-line (to their credit, Neil did re-open on-line regetration when I sent him an e-mail, and me an about 8 other people signed up), there were significant intersections on the 2nd leg without any traffic control (had a close call there the last two years), no timing mats at the turnarounds, no goody bag, a NJD dogtag for a finisher's medal, nothing but Coke to drink after, and not getting the results on line until the next day. This race has backslid significantly. For a race with 47 sponsors listed on the shirt and a $145 entrance fee, I really expected more. Pirahna is expanding and growing adding a lot of new races, but if they let the quality of existing races slide cause thay are growing they are going to lose me as a customer.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:43 | 2113 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 127/205
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: They added a dock to get you in and out without hving to brave the mud, which was a good idea but...... Then 3 loops in the lake, there were a few shallow spots, and the water was murky but it was an improvement from years past. Then out across a very shake dock and a long run to transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:51:50 | 56 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Overall: 115/205
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two loops, some small rollers but no real hills. Good roads winding past the Millville Airport and the local wilderness area. Strong headwind on the 4th leg and cross wind on the 1st and 3rd legs were a pain as well. One bottle exchange on the 3rd leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:53:39 | 13.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 90/205
Course: A Y shaped course with two out and back segments and water stops about every mile. Very flat and little shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON

2008-05-06 7:00 AM
in reply to: #1383852

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON
Nice race...omg, I totally saw that guy with the worn through shorts!! I had to pass him after about 1 minute! lol. (Although, hats off to him...he was 67!).
2008-05-06 9:42 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Congrats on the PR!  Awfully impressive on the heels of running Boston.

I think Neil and team are a good group, but I agree that they seem to be having some growing pains and just don't seem to be covering all their bases in planning and execution.  Hope they pick it back up soon.

2008-05-06 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Despite the race organization logistics problems and potential money troubles, seems like you had a great race. Nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed