Jack and Adam's Bicycles
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 52s
Overall Rank = 16/900
Age Group = open wave
Age Group Rank = 15/51
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:15 for coffee, bfast, and a shower. enjoyed bfast with some solitaire and then headed to the event. arrived around 6:15 and had plenty of time to setup.
Event warmup:

ran a half mile or so and then went for a 250m swim before the start.
Swim
  • 05m 23s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

started behind james cotter and jason mcmillian in the center. start was hectic and i swam up the back of them with people doing the same behind me. felt trapped and was kicking frantically to keep people off me. had a couple women behind me claw the chit out of my back. the reason i know if was women b/c i saw them looking fierce right behind me before we started. as we hit the turnaround buoy i was swimming a bit wide in order to get out of the chaos. on the way back to the exit i drifted right a few times and felt like i was out of gas. when we hit the exit i struggled for a few seconds to get footing. overall i was satisfied with surviving that mess and next time i will try to position better so that i dont work as hard at the start.
What would you do differently?:

worked on kicking so i dont tire after fighting people off. dont start in middle as everyone converged on me and i got stuck.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

ran well thru transition and found my bike with no problem. pulled a macca at kona and struggled to buckle my helmet for what seemed like 10sec. had a chitty mount of the bike. had troubled getting my footing and then had to ride up the first big hill with only one foot in my shoe.

work on my bike mount. i really suck at this.
Bike
  • 30m 6s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

pleased we the bike even though my legs felt spent from the swim. was caught in no mans land with no one to ride with. i blew past a few of the females who out swam me and then one woman acutally past me early on so i used her to pace me thru the bike. she seemed like a TT beast (think its was fiocca) and past her right before the turn on the access road. looked like the crosswind at that point was working her disc wheel. really hammered it home with the tailwind.

get my feet in my shoes quicker and corner faster with a bit more confidence
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

this was the worst part of the race. as i put my bike on the rack the whole thing collapsed. with the rack went kelly handel's scott plasma (she later told me the same thing happened last year and it cracked her frame) and another high $ bike. i started to pickup the rack as other race ran past me. i thought so much for this race and just then some helpers came to fix the rack. i just laid my bike on its side, put on my running shoes, and took off.

check the rack prior to selecting my spot.
Run
  • 12m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

started off with an error by exiting T2 and heading back towards the swim. some people yelled wrong way so turned around and headed in the right direction. at that people a yelled for some water and got a cup of hot g-rade. another bad omen. but then i put the pedal to the medal and caught i few folks within the first half mile. i felt like i was moving well and spotted rob and a few others up ahead. by then the leaders passed me on their way back so i tried to get it moving quicker to keep the time loss at a minimum. at the turnaround i was gassed and just held on for the last mile without being able to go any faster.

pay attention to which way to run
Post race
Warm down:

drank some water, talked to a few folks and got stretching help from the advanced rehab tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

J&A put on a great race as usual!!!

Last updated: 2008-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:23 | 328 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/51
Overall: 21/900
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: single loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:30:06 | 11.1 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/51
Overall: 16/900
Wind: Strong
Course: single loop with some decent hills. had headwind on backside of course and a nice tailwind on the access road back to T2.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:38 | 02 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/51
Overall: 10/900
Performance: Good
Course: out and back with a slight uphill going out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Jack & Adam's Rookie Triathlon

2008-05-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1394771

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jack & Adam's Rookie Triathlon
nice job out there, also nice job going into the open field. these races are always fun and i see a really strong buffalo springs coming your way.
2008-05-11 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Nice race, Todde. Even with the hard luck, it was a darn fast time. Well done. Good luck at BSLT.
2008-05-12 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Excellent splits and solid speed all the way around. A very fast race despite the little mishaps; without them, you would've placed even higher. At your level, every second counts.

There's always something in every race to deal with and it's good practice to get them out of the way early in the season.
2008-05-15 2:51 PM

User image

Austin, TX
Great race! Very impressive splits. Having read your description of the open wave swim, I'd like to try it next time My AG started 6 minutes behind the open wave, and I had to go around tons of people, but not much action at the beginning of the swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jack & Adam's Rookie Triathlon Rss Feed