of 2

2005-01-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #99343

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: bilateral breathing drills
Thanks Scott-

I missed your post before I left for the pool last night but the funny thing is that I ended up doing those exact drills. The pool manager saw me swimming the other night and said "Total Immersion, right?". Apparently I'm doing something right because he recognized the technique. That got us talking about how I'm trying to become more efficient and that I can't breath to the left but that I need to work on it. He had taken a TI workshop in the past so he knows what it's about. Last night he was there again and was giving me those drills. I usually start out my workout with the basic TI drills but the one arm stuff was completely new (and difficult). I did 25m one-arm with my non-working arm extended, then on my side, then switched working arms. Then he had me slowly progress through 3, 5,and 7 stroke breathing 25m each...the 7 stroke was tough since I've only ever done 2 strokes. I also did some 25s only goping to my weak side. I'm goin back after work today to practice drill for 30min before I do my bike workout. The one-arm drills felt like I was really struggling...definitely not smooth and efficient.

yaqui - 2005-01-05 5:49 PM

Some drills:

Side kicking (ala TI) on your "weak side" (facing the direction that's difficult to breathe to) with down arm extended.
Side kicking with arms at your side.
Single arm swimming with non working arm extended.
Single arm swimming with non working arm at side.

Do each of them separately as drill progressions in a couple of workouts. Then do them as a drill/swim (one length drill, one length swim) sets. If you're really struggling try using fins the first few times. A pull bouy can also be useful to get comfortable, but it's important that you wean yourself off of the tools so they don't become a crutch.

Once you can breathe to the opposite side, start doing sets where you'll breathe one direction on one length, then the opposite on the next. The final step is to begin mixing in lengths of breathing every third.

Most people tend to lift their head when breathing to the "off-side" at first, which causes you to lose your body position, which results in a mouthful of water, which makes you nervous, which......makes you go back to what's comfortable.

Even most top swimmers don't bi-lateral breathe when racing. But being able to insures that you can breathe to the "clear side" (important in lake swims as well as ocean swims. i've seen some very choppy water in some lake swims); it will balance out your stroke in practice; and you'll develop another "gear".

scott

2005-01-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: #99183

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: bilateral breathing drills

Sounds like you're already on the right track and getting good advice Joel. 

I worked on breathing on both sides early (not every 3rd stroke though at the start) because of all I read about it being good to learn.  For me it's worthwhile simply beacuse when I breath, I rotate onto my side better.  So if I mix left & right, I keep my rotation and form better than if I just breath to one side.  When first breathing to the left (my weak side), it helped to focus on exaggerating the body rotation a bit.  This kept me from worrying about getting air, which inevitbly caused my to lift my head, sink my legs, etc.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bilateral breathing drills Rss Feed  

of 2