FIRM Racing
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 6s
Overall Rank = 136/383
Age Group = Clydedales
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00am, left just before 6:00, got to the race site just after 6:00. Our team was meeting at 6:30, but the coach and assistant coach were already there. Once the rest of the team showed up we checked in, got bodymarked, then set up our transition areas. Just before the race started we had a brief team meeting, then went inside to watch the first few swimmers.
Event warmup:

I had brought a second bike with a trainer which I had set up next to my car in the parking lot, so I went out and did some light spinning for 10-15 minutes before getting in line for the swim. The race had a pool swim, with swimmers starting every 10 seconds.
Swim
  • 07m 1s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was pretty uneventful, I only had to pass one swimmer along the way. I gave him a few taps on the foot, and he moved over at the end of the lane for me. On the way out of the pool though, my foot missed the first step and I almost fell. I caught myself, and managed to get out to the transition area without any other issues.
What would you do differently?:

For swims of this distance, my pace seems to be stuck at 1:45. I need to talk to someone who knows more about swimming to figure out why I'm stuck, and what I need to do to improve.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

On my way into T1, I had to dodge a spectator who was standing right next to my area, watching his mother do her transition. I yelled at him to get out of the way but he just sort of stood there dumbfounded, so I had to squeeze by him to get to my stuff.

As I was leaving T1 (with my shoes already on) I realized that I still had the cleat covers on, so I had to stop and pull them off, then toss them back to my transition area.
Bike
  • 21m 49s
  • 7 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike segment went pretty well, and I did not really have any issues to speak of. I was able to pass other riders pretty easily, sometimes 3-4 at a time. I did have to slow down more than I wanted to on two occasions. The first was in the second turn, which was pretty sharp. There was another rider in front of me who I was overtaking, but I caught her right at the turn so I had to wait until we got through the turn before passing. The second slowdown was at the final turn, because there was a bunch of traffic stopped along the road. Because of this I could not swing out as wide as I wanted to, so I was a bit slow rolling into the transition area.

Overall I was pleased to have the fastest bike split in my division, but I'm a bit bummed out that I fell short of my 20mph average speed goal.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Entering T2 there was another spectator standing in the middle of the aisle, and even though one of the race organizers was yelling at her to move she did not, so I had to navigate around her to get to my rack. Once there everything went fine, and I was out quickly. I did forget to hit the lap button on my watch though, so my T2 time is estimated (the race organizers don't time T1 and T2 separately, they include it in the bike and run times).
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the run I had a cramp in my side, so I backed off my pace a bit until it subsided. After that I felt fine, and just worked on keeping a steady pace. Towards the end my calves started to hurt a bit, but I was able to push through to the end. On the whole, I was happy with my pace.
What would you do differently?:

Running is my weakest leg, and today was no different. I just need to keep working at it, perhaps I should also speak to my coach about adding some more specificity to my weekday runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some water and food, then cheered the rest of my team as they finished.

Event comments:

Overall I was pleased to have beaten my time from last year and to have the best bike split in the Clydesdale division, but I was a bit bummed out to not reach my 20mph bike goal and not place higher. But for a first race of the year, it went pretty well.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:01 | 400 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 129/383
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, 8 lanes in a zig-zag fashion
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:21:49 | 07 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 49/383
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps of a 3.5 mile loop, triangular in shape with three sharp turns. A few gradual hills, but pretty flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:14 | 02.3 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 262/383
Course: Flat course, winding through a small neighborhood before heading out to the main road for the final part back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint

2008-05-12 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1395790

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint

Hey great job at the race.  You're at the front of pack.  Did you see Tri_Again?

Spectators in TA???  How did they get in?  OFficials should add times to the associate racers...

2008-05-12 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Sweet!

Very cool to see 1st place split in your division on the bike..that is one I always shoot for. Nice paces all around.

Off season training is paying off Scott! 

2008-05-13 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Sudbury pictures are up.  I have an album of pictures of me (of course) but my teammate also has his own album of pictures from the rest of the team.
2008-05-13 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Hey great way to start of your season, Scott..!!!!NICE job!(insert cowbell here! lol)
2008-05-13 1:16 PM

User image

New user

Hey, you are now my hero. I was just looking at the other summaries for this race and I saw yours from two years ago. You had roughly my time from last year. Of course, in two years, you've cut nearly 20 minutes and I've gone 2 minutes in the wrong direction! But you give me hope. Some more training, and maybe I can make it!

2008-05-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1399708

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA

myfanwy - 2008-05-13 2:16 PM Hey, you are now my hero. I was just looking at the other summaries for this race and I saw yours from two years ago. You had roughly my time from last year. Of course, in two years, you've cut nearly 20 minutes and I've gone 2 minutes in the wrong direction! But you give me hope. Some more training, and maybe I can make it!

LOL!  Myfanwy, you give me way too much credit.  First, sorry to correct your math but I've only dropped 10 minutes in the last two years!  And 2006 was my first race ever, that I did not really train for, and it was held in monsoon-like rain on flooded streets.  It was in every way a very difficult day.

It looks like your swim improved this year, which is great.  The running slipped a bit, but not much considering you had to have your foot x-rayed five days ago.  I'm sure that you'll do great going forward.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Rss Feed